Roslindale Infill and Small Developments

I suppose this could be posted elsewhere but I actually consider the rozzie thread to be more of a hub regarding rozzie urban issues, not something that needs to be restricted only to development projects. Anyway, I’m surprised that nobody has posted commentary on the accident last week. I will share that my wife had just walked out of square root and turned right as she heard loudly screeching brakes and a terrific crash. She walked back around the corner and called 911. I’m somewhat of a last episode of Seinfeld fashion, she said there were multiple people with phones, all taking pics — nobody calling 911!! Other pedestrians did get the guy out of the car while the whole facade was collapsing but before the major part of it came down. The driver was not old; he was middle aged, and he said “the accelerator got stuck”. I suppose we’ll see what the investigation shows but the story sounds implausible… and regardless, cars fly down Belgrade. And if the guy hadn’t turned onto Corinth, he would’ve smashed into a packed square root and possibly my wife. It’s pretty stunning that nobody was hurt in this thing. Sunday morning usually has plenty of pedestrians there. I really hope this can actually catalyze more aggressive road changes around Boston. The conservatives and fake dem’s who control much of city politics are always going to stand in the way, but I am somewhat encouraged by Wu as a genuine progressive to actually rein in a century’s worth of autocentric nightmares. And if not, maybe at least at the local level in Rozzie this can be a reality. Belgrade — on both sides of Corinth — needs serious reworking. I think the long stretch approaching from the west should have a couple of bumpouts to introduce some curves, and some serious road dieting. The lanes of Belgrade and also Robert are far too wide for this area. There are a lot of dedicated people working for better and safer roads here. We’ll see.

Last edited:
I suppose this could be posted elsewhere but I actually consider the rozzie thread to be more of a hub regarding rozzie urban issues, not something that needs to be restricted only to development projects. Anyway, I’m surprised that nobody has posted commentary on the accident last week. I will share that my wife had just walked out of square root and turned right as she heard loudly screeching brakes and a terrific crash. She walked back around the corner and called 911. I’m somewhat of a last episode of Seinfeld fashion, she said there were multiple people with phones, all taking pics — nobody calling 911!! Other pedestrians did get the guy out of the car while the whole facade was collapsing but before the major part of it came down. The driver was not old; he was middle aged, and he said “the accelerator got stuck”. I suppose we’ll see what the investigation shows but the story sounds implausible… and regardless, cars fly down Belgrade. And if the guy hadn’t turned onto Corinth, he would’ve smashed into a packed square root and possibly my wife. It’s pretty stunning that nobody was hurt in this thing. Sunday morning usually has plenty of pedestrians there. I really hope this can actually catalyze more aggressive road changes around Boston. The conservatives and fake dem’s who control much of city politics are always going to stand in the way, but I am somewhat encouraged by Wu as a genuine progressive to actually rein in a century’s worth of autocentric nightmares. And if not, maybe at least at the local level in Rozzie this can be a reality. Belgrade — on both sides of Corinth — needs serious reworking. I think the long stretch approaching from the west should have a couple of bumpouts to introduce some curves, and some serious road dieting. The lanes of Belgrade and also Robert are far too wide for this area. There are a lot of dedicated people working for better and safer roads here. We’ll see.
They have already done a reworking of the square and it has made everything worse in my opinion. For starters, a parking spot that used to sit exactly where that vehicle impacted the barbershop was removed for no reason. If it was still there good chance a parked car would be there to block this car. Birch st- it’s good when it’s active a handful of days out of the year but why is it shut permanently? There are a couple other changes involving bus stops and bump outs that I’m not convinced helped traffic or pedestrians in any way. Is Robert st unsafe? Never thought of it that way… maybe a little wide. I think as Belgrade starts to develop towards west Roxbury you might see some added lights but again I don’t find this road particularly dangerous either

They have already done a reworking of the square and it has made everything worse in my opinion. For starters, a parking spot that used to sit exactly where that vehicle impacted the barbershop was removed for no reason. If it was still there good chance a parked car would be there to block this car. Birch st- it’s good when it’s active a handful of days out of the year but why is it shut permanently? There are a couple other changes involving bus stops and bump outs that I’m not convinced helped traffic or pedestrians in any way. Is Robert st unsafe? Never thought of it that way… maybe a little wide. I think as Belgrade starts to develop towards west Roxbury you might see some added lights but again I don’t find this road particularly dangerous either

From what I remember, Birch is not closed year round to traffic...just during the warmer months. Also, there are alternatives to hoping that someone parked there as protection. More car infrastructure is not the answer here.

There are so many things you could do to this specific intersection, but some basic stuff would just be to add bollards right at that corner and push the curb out more so cars are forced to slow down to turn.

I was driving east down Belgrade into the square the day before the crash and I remarked to my partner that it was only a matter of time before someone plows straight into the Square Root. That intersection is tricky--the east and westbound lanes of Belgrade merge into one in a tight Y before immediately widening back out to two at Birch Street--and it would be very easy for an eastbound vehicle to not turn hard enough and end up in the building. There's also a slight leftward bend in Belgrade as you approach the intersection from the west, then you have to turn right to line up with the merge at Corinth. If one were to come up a little short on that right turn they'd end up in the building. I was surprised but not surprised the next morning when I saw posts about and pics of the crash.

This is a weird spot where I think adding a travel lane could actually help to control traffic. I think that pushing the right-hand curb out more could actually make things worse, as that would push the direction of traffic from the west even more straight into a building. You want cars coming from the west to turn harder and hug the right-hand curb closer, not keep their momentum going straight away from the curb.

If I were in charge I would remove the parking from the Sullivan's side of the street between Belgrade and Birch, and slide the bike lane over to the curb. Currently the road narrows to one lane for only about 25 meters before expanding right back to two, and that short 25 meters of bike lane isn't respected anyway. By removing those ~3 parking spots and moving the bike lane over to the curb you could fit in a proper bike lane with protection that would be more respected, and also fit two traffic lanes between Sullivan's and the building that got hit. With the two travel lanes you could have one dedicated for cars coming from the west on Belgrade and one dedicated for cars coming from the east. This would avert the awkward merge and allow for additional traffic furniture that would force cars coming from the west to turn harder right and stay in their lane into the square. For cars coming from the west, a hard turn (enforced by traffic furniture) into a dedicated lane is better here than a softer turn into a merge with a building straight ahead.

A few other thoughts:
  • The parking spot in front of the barbershop (where the car drove into the building) was removed between June 2017 and November 2018 per Google StreetView. That spot previously blocked visibility to that crosswalk, but adding some sort of furniture there (maybe a BlueBikes dock?) would be a good move.
  • The Birch St plaza is now closed to traffic year-round, as it should be. There's really no need for that street (it just loops from one one-way street back 50 meters onto the same one-way street) and it gets plenty of non-auto use and activation at all times but the very worst weather.

I was driving east down Belgrade into the square the day before the crash and I remarked to my partner that it was only a matter of time before someone plows straight into the Square Root. That intersection is tricky--the east and westbound lanes of Belgrade merge into one in a tight Y before immediately widening back out to two at Birch Street--and it would be very easy for an eastbound vehicle to not turn hard enough and end up in the building. There's also a slight leftward bend in Belgrade as you approach the intersection from the west, then you have to turn right to line up with the merge at Corinth. If one were to come up a little short on that right turn they'd end up in the building. I was surprised but not surprised the next morning when I saw posts about and pics of the crash.

This is a weird spot where I think adding a travel lane could actually help to control traffic. I think that pushing the right-hand curb out more could actually make things worse, as that would push the direction of traffic from the west even more straight into a building. You want cars coming from the west to turn harder and hug the right-hand curb closer, not keep their momentum going straight away from the curb.

If I were in charge I would remove the parking from the Sullivan's side of the street between Belgrade and Birch, and slide the bike lane over to the curb. Currently the road narrows to one lane for only about 25 meters before expanding right back to two, and that short 25 meters of bike lane isn't respected anyway. By removing those ~3 parking spots and moving the bike lane over to the curb you could fit in a proper bike lane with protection that would be more respected, and also fit two traffic lanes between Sullivan's and the building that got hit. With the two travel lanes you could have one dedicated for cars coming from the west on Belgrade and one dedicated for cars coming from the east. This would avert the awkward merge and allow for additional traffic furniture that would force cars coming from the west to turn harder right and stay in their lane into the square. For cars coming from the west, a hard turn (enforced by traffic furniture) into a dedicated lane is better here than a softer turn into a merge with a building straight ahead.

A few other thoughts:
  • The parking spot in front of the barbershop (where the car drove into the building) was removed between June 2017 and November 2018 per Google StreetView. That spot previously blocked visibility to that crosswalk, but adding some sort of furniture there (maybe a BlueBikes dock?) would be a good move.
  • The Birch St plaza is now closed to traffic year-round, as it should be. There's really no need for that street (it just loops from one one-way street back 50 meters onto the same one-way street) and it gets plenty of non-auto use and activation at all times but the very worst weather.
I think what would make the most sense would actually be to remove selective banks of parking on alternating sides of Belgrade from Walworth to the Square… and push the road itself from side to side, such that the curb line actually has a series of 2-3 slight wavy curves as cars approach the Sq. Belgrade could be made to be tilting towards Robert St at the church, so cars had to turn slightly left before turning right at the Sq. And honestly, a simply stop sign at the driveway exit of Sullivan’s, and/or right at Corinth, would also do wonders (that alone would be the biggest safety change, probably). But cars fly down Belgrade. It’s too straight and wide. I like the idea to add street furniture at the corner with Birch…

The Taft Hill Terrace project is almost finished. It looks pretty good, but it would be nice if the city could spruce up the parking lot. A few planters and lighting could go a long way toward this vast area. (Tho I think it’s going to be partially developed at some point soon?)

I’d never noticed the size of the lot at 19 Taft Hill. Wow, what a property, it’ll probably get developed one day but I’ve always though having those lone holdout sprawling country type properties right in the middle of the city were the coolest things ever.

The Belgrade Ave development is a great addition, it looks great. The one right at Poplar & South is pretty good, but needs some companions; it sticks out.

Also including a pic of the Robert/Corinth/Belgrade intersection. There is no question there’s WAY too much pavnet

Attachments

• E8A78EEC-4691-4E34-8F00-555E43122E11.jpeg
    E8A78EEC-4691-4E34-8F00-555E43122E11.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 87
  • 8632D4E3-218E-4FD2-B8E4-87E298FE6EEE.jpeg
    8632D4E3-218E-4FD2-B8E4-87E298FE6EEE.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 91
  • 280508EF-5F90-45C3-8B24-17923238E2EB.jpeg
    280508EF-5F90-45C3-8B24-17923238E2EB.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 82
  • 727A4EC6-A445-4258-A586-5B72A9AC6159.jpeg
    727A4EC6-A445-4258-A586-5B72A9AC6159.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 84
  • DED56042-C8D4-4E75-AFDD-605BCBC3F8AD.jpeg
    DED56042-C8D4-4E75-AFDD-605BCBC3F8AD.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 83
  • 77DCC669-DCC6-4319-955A-ADCE1F6FD4C0.jpeg
    77DCC669-DCC6-4319-955A-ADCE1F6FD4C0.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 89
  • 770BB2D4-6EF7-470D-9823-EB744EE5092A.jpeg
    770BB2D4-6EF7-470D-9823-EB744EE5092A.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 78
  • 9435ACC6-2E3A-448F-BD60-2972103D4AFB.jpeg
    9435ACC6-2E3A-448F-BD60-2972103D4AFB.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 92
  • AC774CFF-4207-4F19-86F1-E6D2CAA9E66D.jpeg
    AC774CFF-4207-4F19-86F1-E6D2CAA9E66D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 75
With change in zoning-board members, developer tries again to win approval for Roslindale Square apartment building with no parking; says most of the units now will be affordable
4198washrendering.jpg

https://www.universalhub.com/2023/change-zoning-board-members-developer-tries-again

Check the bottom comment in the article's comment section that indicates a change in the old guard at the Zoning Board of Appeal that may lead to change in the neighborhood. It appears the board member in question was a resident of Roslindale and on the zoning board appeals for 24 years! I always hear there should be term limits for government positions. Good for Roslindale if this is a turn in a new direction.

18-22 Arboretum rd
788a28db-6771-4fa6-a4a1-4f33a0306eae

“The Proposed Project will replace the existing industrial building at 18-22 Arboretum Road and the adjacent vacant lot at 43 Lochdale Road with a new multifamily residential building with amenity space comprising approximately 295,020 square feet of Gross Floor Area. The building will be six (6) stories (approximately 69’-10' feet) and will provide 230 apartments and 124 parking spaces. There will be a mix of studios, one-bedroom, two-bedroom, and three-bedroom units; affordable units will be provided onsite in accordance with the City’s Inclusionary Development requirements.”

Under review, pnf posted
Project Notification Form

Project page
https://www.bostonplans.org/projects/development-projects/18-22-arboretum-road

361 Belgrade ave
belgraderendering.jpg

“transit-oriented development of up to approximately 126,087 square feet of gross floor area. The proposed project will include approximately 123 residential units and garaged parking for up to 86 vehicles in a five (5) story building of varying height; new and expanded sidewalk connections, improved pedestrian and vehicular access and overall site upgrades.”

Under review
Presentation

Project page
https://www.bostonplans.org/projects/development-projects/361-belgrade-avenue

I hope these get built but also damn that's a lot of new cars (I know its still less than 1:1 ratio but still) for this road that is already a hell scape. Its got some of the best bus access in the city along with super close to the OL, along with bike lanes everywhere....

Particularly for the Arboretum Rd development, which is close to the Wash bus corridor and walking distance to Forest Hills. I'd say being close to Washington + OL and much better than being right next to a commuter rail station with a limited schedule.

New zoning board approves Roslindale Square apartment building that previous board rejected
newrozziebuilding.jpg

“The Zoning Board of Appeal today unanimously approved a developer's plans to replace a block of stores next to the Roslindale Square municipal building with a 31-unit apartment building with room for two of the current businesses.

Arx Urban's proposal calls for 19 of the apartments to be rented to people making no more than 70% of the Boston area median income. That's 61% of all the units, compared to the city's affordable requirement of 13% of units…”

https://www.universalhub.com/2023/new-zoning-board-approves-roslindale-square

Love this project and location, and great that the community, board, and developers are working together to retain several of the businesses already at that spot. Question for those who know more about resi/rozzie-Boston development: how are the developers going to make this work with such deep affordability levels (61% of units is amazing!) when all I've been hearing is the headwind of interest rates, land price, and construction costs. Really would have expected them to slam down to or close to the 13% threshold.

My recollection is that there are some grant subsidies that made such a high affordability rate possible.

361 Belgrade ave
belgraderendering.jpg

“transit-oriented development of up to approximately 126,087 square feet of gross floor area. The proposed project will include approximately 123 residential units and garaged parking for up to 86 vehicles in a five (5) story building of varying height; new and expanded sidewalk connections, improved pedestrian and vehicular access and overall site upgrades.”

Under review
Presentation

Project page
https://www.bostonplans.org/projects/development-projects/361-belgrade-avenue
This has been approved by the BPDA!

Developer proposes 28-condo project next to Roslindale forest; residents say that's the wrong place

By adamg on Wed, 04/12/2023 - 1:02pm
Rough rendering of proposed condos

Initial sketch of proposed condos.

“A Roslindale developer last night showed off his initial plans for 28 townhouse condos in two buildings on a narrow acre off Dale Street, between the Sherrin Woods forest and the Northeast Corridor train tracks in Roslindale.
James Guerrier said all the units would be sold as affordable to people making between 80% and 100% of the Boston area median income.

He said that would mean prices of between $213,000 and $368,500 - and that deed restrictions would limit unit sales to people making no more than city affordable guidelines for 30 years. Although Guerrier said he would seek state housing subsidies or credits, he is financing the project on his own. He said he wants to do more with his work than just make money and that he sees the proposal as a way to create a way for Black and Brown families to build equity and stay in a city that has increasingly priced them out.

Nearby residents, though, worried about the impact of any development right next to the 25-acre Sherrin Woods forest - which extends into Hyde Park - and their neighborhood, during an hour-long Zoom call with Guerrier.

They said the project could ruin Sherrin Woods, which they said was one of the largest urban wilds in the city, flood the neighborhood with displaced rats and pet-chomping coyotes - and literally, with water - and even possibly lead to the entire area burning down if residents had barbecues during dry season and set the woods on fire. Residents also worried about traffic on what they said were already congested streets like Dale and Windham and doubted that the 28 parking spaces Guerrier said he would propose, on the advice of BPDA planners, would be enough.

Jeanne DuBois, a Roslindale resident and executive director of the Southwest Boston Community Development Corp., which seeks to create affordable housing in Roslindale and Hyde Park, said she admired Guerrier's proposal, but said the location was simply a poor choice because of its potential impact on Sherrin Woods.

DuBois offered to drive Guerrier around Roslindale to see other locations that would work equally well for 28 units - and even offered to work with him on a joint-venture project, if he needed any development help. Guerrier said he would like to sit down with DuBois.

Pat Alvarez, who lives nearby and who is assistant director of the Southwest Boston CDC, also praised Guerrier's design and goal, but said destroying a wooded parcel in an era of climate change is just the wrong way to go.

"This is a beautiful design, but you cannot destroy an existing woodland" because woodlands are "critical to protecting us from climate change," she said. "If you don't have woodland, you are not safe from climate change, it's just that simple."

https://www.universalhub.com/2023/developer-proposes-28-condo-project-next

That's interesting -- I occasionally bike past that corner (including within the past month), but some how had not noticed that it was this far along. Hopefully a lot more of this will be coming to American Legion, along with vastly improved bus service.

Back