Roslindale Infill and Small Developments

My hyperbole aside, that is what I figured had happened. That said, it's a big lot, and in this day and age I don't see how they couldn't have done the auto shop out the back and actually done housing on top. I don't see that as a barrier to entry at all. In fact, I think they could have even fit a bit of retail on Washington st at ground level, too, and still kept the capacity of the new garage building. Just seems a waste of a pretty prime corner lot on Washington St in front of Metro Ave.

Auto shops are pretty noisy. With some decent sound proofing you could mitigate that part at least.

Auto shops are pretty noisy. With some decent sound proofing you could mitigate that part at least.
I think there would likely also be concerns about toxic run-off or emissions. You could probably mitigate against that, too, but I suspect the housing would be very hard to rent/sell.

The path that presumably connects to the wetlands is a nice feature. I could be mistaken, but my impression has always been that the only public access was from Coniston Road. This would put an entrance much closer to the Arboretum, providing some synergistic opportunities.
There are five legal entries: Eldon and Hazelmere, and Selwyn, Coniston and Weld, the latter being literally on the pavement of a mostly private driveway but striped by the city as public. The city put a huge amount of money into the improvements for these entrances and has constructed boardwalks and landscaping throughout the wetland that are a massive improvement: previously, it would not possible to walk all the way around -- you had to exit at Eldon and then go back in at Selwyn. This issue has been solved. It's a pretty impressive investment that's been done... and few people seem to be aware of it.

There are five legal entries: Eldon and Hazelmere, and Selwyn, Coniston and Weld, the latter being literally on the pavement of a mostly private driveway but striped by the city as public. The city put a huge amount of money into the improvements for these entrances and has constructed boardwalks and landscaping throughout the wetland that are a massive improvement: previously, it would not possible to walk all the way around -- you had to exit at Eldon and then go back in at Selwyn. This issue has been solved. It's a pretty impressive investment that's been done... and few people seem to be aware of it.
I knew about the boardwalks, but have to admit, it's something that is kind of off my radar. I'll need to go exploring there sometime soon.

Reactions: FK4
I like the density, but I’m not wild about the massing that sort of a hulking building right up against the train tracks has all the ingredients for one of those big housing developments that’s pretty isolated, even though it’s close to the action on Washington Street. Also, The one floor industrial building it’s replacing is exactly the kind of building I wish we had more of around here, that, in another version of reality, the city might commandeer and turn into small business laboratories, industrial kitchens for startups, etc.

I forget the address but it’s the corner of Washington and Bexley, right across from the target. Former auto shop. Looks like things are underway.
IMG_2053.jpeg
IMG_2054.jpeg

View attachment 40971

124 unit apartment building approved for 361 Belgrade Ave, which required at least 8 zoning variances, mostly based on height, FAR, and parking. But it looks good, and it has a slightly higher affordability ratio, at 17%, than the city requires. This lot is right next to a train station. If we can't build large, dense residential here, then where? Definitely a win for housing and the neighborhood, and a nice bit of irony for the folks who opposed the school proposal, which would have been a smaller building and likely generated less traffic.

No pics, but the core is up on this. Will be nice to have this spot filled in with a building by springtime.

I heard from an IAG member that the Arboretum road proposal is effectively dead after BPDA wouldn't fight back enough against the arboretum NIMBYs

I heard from an IAG member that the Arboretum road proposal is effectively dead after BPDA wouldn't fight back enough against the arboretum NIMBYs
That sucks. I want a huge fan but it’s a lot of housing

That sucks. I want a huge fan but it’s a lot of housing
Also reactivation of an entry to the arboretum, which is how you know its pastoralist nimby nonsense not actual concern for the park

Also reactivation of an entry to the arboretum, which is how you know its pastoralist nimby nonsense not actual concern for the park
Eh, that’s happening anyway. I do wonder what this would have looked like from the arboretum. Probably not super visible but seeing hulking buildings from the arboretum (like the state concrete monstrosity) is shitty.

No worse than triple deckers. And I'm not sure the reactivation is happening without this project.

No worse than triple deckers. And I'm not sure the reactivation is happening without this project.
That's unfortunate news about the building. As for the restored Arboretum entrance, the development would have helped with the funding puzzle, but I'm pretty sure the city and community are well committed to getting it done. The path on the other side is already under construction, for example.

Yes, the path on that leg is moving right along. That's Phase 1, according to this: https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/0f3a837adeec47abb477866fb475a2fd

In my opinion, that plus the South St Connector (Phase 2, but that's the boardwalk leg which I'd expect is very expensive) are the most important pieces, since with those two, you do get access from Washington, and you would be able to ride a bike up Peters Hill, into the Arboretum on the paved road, down to South, and then get all the way to Forest Hill without taking your life into your hands on South St. Seems like that would achieve most of the goals here.

The Archdale entrance redesign is nice but not as crucial once you get the Arboretum Rd entrance, since at least there already is a sidewalk that leads to an entrance.

And while the T station entrance is a cool idea, I'm not wild about the idea of a bike trail through the Arboretum down there, nor is it really necessary if you take care of the other components.

As for further work with the Arboretum Rd entrance, they don't have to go nuts on it. The entrance is basically open now and the path is getting built already. It would not take much for the city to just clean up the arch and beautify it a little with a couple lights and plantings, beyond the mudpit it is right now.

City of Boston has a bad track record of funding improvements they wanted developers to build.

City of Boston has a bad track record of funding improvements they wanted developers to build.
Yes, but my point is you dont need tons of bells and whistles here. It's an entrance to a park. It doesn't need much. What does need much is the area surrounding it, so until development activates this site, it's not going to be very appealing. But the gate itself needs graffiti removed and less mud and that's enough for now.

Its insane to me how the nimbys are still wining in the middle of a housing 5 alarm fire. Its still not being taken seriously the way it should be. Whats it going to take.. the entire middle class moving way before they realize the extent of the problem? I cant even count the amount of ppl I know who have moved away due to the cost to live. Even my sister who has always lived in boston just moved to rhode island in november and I’m seriously considering moving soon myself. Its so frustrating.

Yes, but my point is you dont need tons of bells and whistles here. It's an entrance to a park. It doesn't need much. What does need much is the area surrounding it, so until development activates this site, it's not going to be very appealing. But the gate itself needs graffiti removed and less mud and that's enough for now.
Yes, overall I think this is the right approach. Finish phase 1, with a very minimalist Arboretum Rd entrance, and hopefully begin phase 2 right away. I agree with you that phase 3 isn't all that necessary. Really, I'd sequence that as the last part, rather than middle. But I do think phases 4 and 5 are pretty crucial. You and I might be fine with riding along the main circumferential Peters Hill path, but the slope is too much for a lot of riders. It's definitely not an 8-80, all fitness levels type of path. Even though the true transformation is in phases 1 and 2, I really hope the full build can eventually happen (before I'm too old to climb Peters Hill).

Last edited:
Yes, overall I think this is the right approach. Finish phase 1, with a very minimalist Arboretum Rd entrance, and hopefully begin phase 2 right away. I agree with you that phase 3 isn't all that necessary. Really, I'd sequence that as the last part, rather than middle. But I don think phases 4 and 5 are pretty crucial. You and I might be fine with riding along the main circumferential Peters Hill path, but the slope is too much for a lot of riders. It's definitely not an 8-80, all fitness levels type of path. Even though the true transformation is in phases 1 and 2, I really hope the full build can eventually happen (before I'm too old to climb Peters Hill).
Bikers speeding down Peters Hill is not exactly what all the people wandering the Arboretum will want either. The hills to get to the entrances on Peters Hill from Roslindale Sq are also quite steep, if not steeper. This path seems like a pretty great project.

Back