Roslindale Infill and Small Developments

Was looking for something else and came across this, hasnt been posted though it was approved in 2021.

43 Lockdale rd

IMG_8471.jpeg

IMG_8469.jpeg

IMG_8470.jpeg

“Construction of a new, four (4)-story residential building containing 38 rental units (including 6 IDP Units) and 46 garage parking spaces on the presently vacant lot at 43 Lochdale Road in Roslindale. The Proponent submitted a Small Project Change to the BPDA on March 4, 2021 proposing a change in programming for the 43 Lochdale Road project from rental units to condominiums.”

https://www.bostonplans.org/projects/development-projects/43-lochdale-road

Was looking for something else and came across this, hasnt been posted though it was approved in 2021.

43 Lockdale rd

View attachment 37612
View attachment 37613
View attachment 37614

“Construction of a new, four (4)-story residential building containing 38 rental units (including 6 IDP Units) and 46 garage parking spaces on the presently vacant lot at 43 Lochdale Road in Roslindale. The Proponent submitted a Small Project Change to the BPDA on March 4, 2021 proposing a change in programming for the 43 Lochdale Road project from rental units to condominiums.”

Pretty sure this is now part of the 18-22 Arboretum Road Project I don't see a thread for it on ArchBoston

361belgraderendering.jpg

124 unit apartment building approved for 361 Belgrade Ave, which required at least 8 zoning variances, mostly based on height, FAR, and parking. But it looks good, and it has a slightly higher affordability ratio, at 17%, than the city requires. This lot is right next to a train station. If we can't build large, dense residential here, then where? Definitely a win for housing and the neighborhood, and a nice bit of irony for the folks who opposed the school proposal, which would have been a smaller building and likely generated less traffic.

I love it, and it's the perfect type of building for an old car lot abutting a train station. Just planned a route on Google, and it's only 22 minutes from Bellevue to South Station on a commuter train. Now, the trains are kind of terrible but still what an opportunity for hundreds more who need to get into downtown regularly.

I did make the mistake of going to the Public Comments on the BPDA filing and it's astounding what people will write into the record under their own names. I won't link to it or give names, but this is my favorite (caps and insanity very much not added by me). I'll let you guess if this person is for or against.

"*IMPORTANT NOTE- ONLY COMMENTS BY HOMEOWNERS WHO HAVE A VALID, CONFIRMED, ADDRESS &
POSSESS A VALID GENUINE PROPERTY DEED FOR PROOF OF HOME OWNERSHIP IN THE IMMEDIATE AREA &
THE COMMUNITY,, TO CONFIRM HOME OWNERSHIP PRIMARILY IN IMMEDIATE AREA & IN COMMUNITY SHOULD
BE ADMISSIBLE TO THE RECORD. ANY PUBLIC COMMENT INPUT SUBMISSIONS SUBMITTED BY THOSE THAT
DO NOT HAVE THE ABOVE, & THAT DO NOT OWN A HOME BUT WHO RENT SHOULD NOT BE ADMISSIBLE. -[Most
of the comments submitted "in favor of"/"in support of" the project are FICTITIOUS/FALSE & NOT WRITTEN BY
INDIVIDUALS WHO LIVE IN AREA NOR DO THEY ACTUALLY OWN A HOME IN THE AREA EITHER,, nor do they have
any ties to the area either, but were solicited to write comments by the developers or thru other channels, or just
submitting comments based solely on their opinion but do not own a home in this neighborhood]. *I SAW THE PDF
RECENTLY RELEASED & THE 'OPPOSITION' PUBLIC COMMENTS WERE HEAVILY REDACTED & EDITED. -This is
an attempted cover up by whomever is responsible for this.
"

So, only people who own property are worthy of this person's opinion.... and they are exactly the type of person to block affordable homes being built. Yes, this is the state of the American housing market after generations of making home ownership the only source of long term investment. It's a class divide, plain and simple.

So, only people who own property are worthy of this person's opinion.... and they are exactly the type of person to block affordable homes being built. Yes, this is the state of the American housing market after generations of making home ownership the only source of long term investment. It's a class divide, plain and simple.

Only thing I'd argue here is the "affordable homes" part: these people oppose all new development, regardless of market rate vs. affordable. Maybe a single family might pass muster for them, though.

Only thing I'd argue here is the "affordable homes" part: these people oppose all new development, regardless of market rate vs. affordable. Maybe a single family might pass muster for them, though.
Although they do like to trot out the "not enough affordable units," or "affordable for whom," lines as part of the overall opposition strategy. They will make any argument that results in less construction, regardless of whether it's an issue that actually matters to them personally. There are about three reasons why people oppose building more housing, and none of them are a good look, so they tend to raise side issues instead.

43 Lockdale rd

View attachment 37612
View attachment 37613
View attachment 37614

This site is now part of the 18-22 Arboretum Rd Project. Not sure of what the status of the new project is, the design team received a bit of a shellacking by the BDPA and the BCDC if I recall correctly from reading the PNF public comments.

Work could soon resume on 18-unit condo building on Washington Street at Archdale Road in Roslindale

By adamg on Tue, 08/08/2023 - 10:08am
3992-3996 Washington St. rendering

“The Zoning Board of Appeal today gave a Pittsfield developer a year to resume construction of a four-story, 18-unit condo building at 3992-3996 Washington St. next to the Domino's and across from Archdale Liquors.
Boston Building LLC's attorney, Jeff Drago, said the company will "immediately" pull the permits it needs to resume construction of the building, which will also include ground-floor retail space.
Drago said the project won BPDA approval in 2020 and then ISD approval. The repair garage that used to be on the site had been demolished and a foundation poured, when workers discovered contaminated soil on the site, he said. In addition to stopping work to deal with that problem, the discovery forced the reconfiguration of the mechanical-stacker to store up to 12 cars in a garage, he said.”

https://www.universalhub.com/2023/work-could-soon-resume-18-unit-condo-building

Construction seems to have stalled at this site. Not sure what's going on. Anyone know?
I didn't even realize demolition had happened, as I'm rarely on that section of Belgrade Ave. According to Bostonplans, they are not yet in the construction phase, with current status listed simply as approved.

I didn't even realize demolition had happened, as I'm rarely on that section of Belgrade Ave. According to Bostonplans, they are not yet in the construction phase, with current status listed simply as approved.
Demo started months ago -- I posted the pic of it in May... but now there has just been rubble and vehicles but seems to have been untouched since June or July.

Habitat for Humanity to redevelop Roslindale property
d136d651-3d6d-4666-9c4b-6ea86377610c

“Habitat for Humanity will redevelop property on Walter Street in Roslindale into affordable housing.

At its August meeting, the Boston Planning & Development Agency board officially awarded Habitat for Humanity of Greater Boston final designation to redevelop BPDA-owned property located at 104 Walter St.

The BPDA acquired the previously privately owned 104-108 Walter St. in 2020 to create affordable housing and expand the Roslindale Wetlands Urban Wild. In 2021, the board voted to temporarily designate Habitat of Humanity as the developer of an affordable housing project at 104 Walter St.

Once complete, the project will include four income-restricted, homeownership units for families with incomes between 50% to 80% of the area median income. Under the plan, the existing home on site will be preserved and fully renovated into two units. The other two will be located in a newly built duplex on the property.”

https://bostonagentmagazine.com/2023/09/08/habitat-for-humanity-to-redevelop-roslindale-property/

https://www.bostonplans.org/planning/planning-initiatives/104-walter-street-request-for-proposals

21040-104-Walter-Aerial.jpg

https://www.adaptiv.org/projects/104-walter-street/

The path that presumably connects to the wetlands is a nice feature. I could be mistaken, but my impression has always been that the only public access was from Coniston Road. This would put an entrance much closer to the Arboretum, providing some synergistic opportunities.

So, I go by 4415 Washington St often enough, and after the demo I figured it would be retail/housing, classic 5 over 1 or something similiar. However, what has been built to replace the old gas station is a new single story auto-repair shop with like 6 bays. Really mind blowing - maybe even more than the Chase bank in Westie on the corner of Centre and Belgrade. I really can't comprehend how it was possible for it to be built.

Last edited:
So, I go by 4415 Washington St often enough, and after the demo I figured it would be retail/housing, classic 5 over 1 or something similiar. However, what has been built to replace the old gas station is a new single story auto-repair shop with like 6 bays. Really mind blowing - maybe even more than the Chase bank in Westie on the corner of Centre and Belgrade. I really can't comprehend how it was possible for it to be built.
The developer is the owner of the gas station that previously was at that location, as well as Best of Boston on the corner of Washington/Albano. They did the project to expand their service and maintenance business. I see nothing wrong with that. The owners are nice people and well regarded within the community, have a business model that serves local needs, etc. Normally, I tend to favor the building you expected to see, but I recognize there are some needs that it can't fill. Nobody wants to be in an apartment above a mechanic's shop, but as long as cars are a thing, we need mechanic shops to exist alongside other amenities.

The developer is the owner of the gas station that previously was at that location, as well as Best of Boston on the corner of Washington/Albano. They did the project to expand their service and maintenance business. I see nothing wrong with that. The owners are nice people and well regarded within the community, have a business model that serves local needs, etc. Normally, I tend to favor the building you expected to see, but I recognize there are some needs that it can't fill. Nobody wants to be in an apartment above a mechanic's shop, but as long as cars are a thing, we need mechanic shops to exist alongside other amenities.
My hyperbole aside, that is what I figured had happened. That said, it's a big lot, and in this day and age I don't see how they couldn't have done the auto shop out the back and actually done housing on top. I don't see that as a barrier to entry at all. In fact, I think they could have even fit a bit of retail on Washington st at ground level, too, and still kept the capacity of the new garage building. Just seems a waste of a pretty prime corner lot on Washington St in front of Metro Ave.

Back