Route 128 Developments

It will end up being the high speed lane. They paved the median to widen the highway. There's no use putting traffic on that lane until you've widened the whole stretch of highway.

There was no good reason to widen this road, as the rush-hour use of breakdown lanes was working just fine.

good that lane and the folks who speed down it scare the hell out of me,very dangerous lane IMO

Ron, we've disagreed about use of the breakdown lane before and we'll have to continue to disagree.

I understand not wanting to solve every problem with more pavement. And sometimes congestion isn't such a bad thing from an urban planning standpoint, so maybe that was the better solution.

But rush hour use of the breakdown lane is scary. You need to remember this is a through road used by lots of people who aren't familiar with the local disregard for interstate highway specifications and thus aren't prepared to encounter crazed commuters doing 80 mph on the shoulder (which happens regularly). If one of those drivers misses a bit of unexpected signage on the fringes of rush hour when the traffic isn't totally bumper-to-bumper and you have the makings of a disaster.

If you haven't seen some crashes and frightening near misses, you don't drive this stretch very often. Mom and Dad and the kids, driving back to Maine, decide to exit for a bite or some gas ... or, getting back on, the minivan prepares for what the driver assumes will be a normal merge ...

^I agree. And for some reason people treat it as the high speed lane so it ends up moving faster than the left lane.

It looks like that lane on the left will be a breakdown lane, not a travel lane. It appears that with the markings in this pic, there are 4 travel lanes with a breakdown lane on either side of the road.

^No. It will be a travel lane in a few years when they finish the widening. I've worked on two of the widening projects (there's been at least 4 south of the Pike, I'd guess there's been as many north). The State is at least 6 years from finishing. Unfortunately DOT doesn't have the money to do all these projects at once so you end up with several years of traffic jams.

Agreed. For anyone driving 128 on a daily basis the use of the breakdown lane during rush hour is frightening. Not that most people posting on this Board would ever consider daily highway driving in suburbia! Perish the thought!

I drive it(128) and most other metro highways everyday!then take the relaxing T ride home to Dot!

Last edited:
Do you keep your car at Quincy or something?

Watertown,take "the electric bus" #71 to Harvard to get the redline

this building is going up on rt 2 anyone know what's being built?
348.jpg
349.jpg

Judging by the picture, it must be between Rt 4 and 128. And this is in the 128 thread so that seems to be valid.

Woburn
189-2.jpg
re-skinning the building
190-1.jpg
this look cool while underconstruction but just another storage place
191-1.jpg
192-2.jpg
193-1.jpg
194-1.jpg
195-2.jpg
from 128 n
205-1.jpg