Route 128 Developments

armpits, stop being such a suburbcist. That ain't cool, bro!

When people think of 128; they imagine strip malls, fast food restaurants, dying shopping malls, Blow Jobs, and Lowes.

When people think of 128; they imagine strip malls, fast food restaurants, dying shopping malls, Blow Jobs, and Lowes.

Which of these things is not like the others? I'm with you for the most part on how I picture 128, but I wasn't aware of it being an oral sex hotbed.

Burlington Mall, Legacy Place and North Shore mall are dying??

When I think of Route 9 I think of dying malls... not 128.

Which of these things is not like the others? I'm with you for the most part on how I picture 128, but I wasn't aware of it being an oral sex hotbed.

Yeah, I thought that was the woods behind the Arsenal Mall...

...and I think of all the ginormous office and hotel buildings perched up on the hillside.

This building in Burlington is built on a hill, and is actually 10 full floors from the bottom point. However, it's a pretty steep hill, and the other side of the building only rises 6 floors off the ground. I guess technically it's probably the second tallest building in town.

Seriously. Everyone was posting pics of multi story office buildings and condos. Yeah theyre shit and surrounded by parking, but still. You're the only one who posted micky ds. In Vegas.

asspitOFblight.

davem --- I live in "Rural" Lexington where I'm a 2 minute walk from 30 acres of 15th growth forest, 5 minutes walk from 4 restaurants and 2 wine and beer shops; 10 minutes walk from Trader Joes and Starbucks.

By driving for 5 miles to Alewife I can be at South Station in 20 minutes, MFA or Symphony in 30 minutes

By driving on Rt-2. Tower Hill Botanic Garden or the Hanover Theatre in Worcester is 45 minutes away

I can also walk in 10 minutes to a bus station offering a one seat 30 minute ride to Harvard Sq every 15 minutes and across and down the street several dozen shops and restaurants.

But the real point of this post is that suburbs, cities and rural areas all have equally valid and important reasons for their existence -- Similarly rail and road transportation as well as air and water all play valid rolls and only ideologues or totalitarians would enjoy the restrictions to "Voting with your feet"

PS: I go to the Home Depot in Waltham and that picture is not the Home Depot in Waltham [ the Garden Center is on the other end of the building]

Last edited:

No the statement should be when ignorant people think of 128; they imagine strip malls, fast food restaurants, dying shopping malls, Blow Jobs, and Lowes.

The reality is that we'll have a Wegman's in Burliington before there is one inside the civic boundaries of Boston.

Further reality pits is that Rt-128 is not suburban strip malls and the rest of your list -- except there is a Lowes in Woburn].

Burlington Mall, New England Executive Park, Northwest Park [where the Wegmans is rising], Lahey Clinic Complex and a few million Sq. ft occupied by companies such as Nokia, Phillips Lighting [formerly Color Kinetics -- the folks providing the nice color changing edge lighting on the Hyatt in Cambridge, inside Symphony Hall, etc.] is in the midst of one of the highest per family income districts in the entire US. On the corner of Rt-128 and Rt-2 in Lexington we have the North American Hq and major facility of Shire Pharma. down 128 in Waltham are Astra Zeneca and the world HQ of Raytheon the 4th largest Defense and Systems Contractor. There is also a considerable belt of academia From Waltham to Wellesley -Needham there are: Brandeis, Bentley, Babson, Wellesley, Olin College of Engineering and a couple of others.

So -- Pits and your fellow suburbaphobes -- get a life -- there are plenty of cities in the US where there is a much more vacuous and insipid existence than you can have along Rt-128

How does one get from Lexington to Alewife in 5 minutes? By driving in the left shoulder of 128 and then levitating over the Arlington-Cambridge town line on 2?

By driving for 5 miles to Alewife I can be at South Station in 20 minutes, MFA or Symphony in 30 minutes

Not sure about the rest of your post, but this part is total BS. It takes me 15 minutes to get from Copley to Fenway on the D line. No way you drive 5 miles to Alewife, take the train all the way to Park St, then take the E line to MFA/Symphony all in 30 minutes. That trip would take 1hr + in reality.

Your Lexington to SS claim is dubious too; you would be lucky to make it to SS in 20 minutes from Alewife if you got on the train right as it was leaving.

If you get on Route 2 at Waltham Street or Route 224/4 in Lexington you can indeed get to Alewife in 5 minutes of highway driving. Unless you live right next to those entrances however, probably more like 10 minutes to get to the garage. Also, if it's not between 9:30am and 4:00pm forget it. Route 2 is sometimes backed up to Route 60. Once you park it's going to be at least another 4 minutes until you board a train. And at Alewife you're lucky if it leaves immediately. Also takes 18-20 minutes to get to Park Street from Alewife off-peak. And you're DAMN lucky if you can make it to Symphony in 10 minutes from Park Street...

If you get on Route 2 at Waltham Street or Route 224/4 in Lexington you can indeed get to Alewife in 5 minutes of highway driving. Unless you live right next to those entrances however, probably more like 10 minutes to get to the garage. Also, if it's not between 9:30am and 4:00pm forget it. Route 2 is sometimes backed up to Route 60. Once you park it's going to be at least another 4 minutes until you board a train. And at Alewife you're lucky if it leaves immediately. Also takes 18-20 minutes to get to Park Street from Alewife off-peak. And you're DAMN lucky if you can make it to Symphony in 10 minutes from Park Street...

With perfect connections it'd probably take 30-40 minutes to get from Alewife to Symphony. Add in waiting time and you're getting closer to an hour. Add in the driving time and you're definitely over an hour.

Back