Route 9 high rises eyed

Schade. Always had a bit of a soft spot for the Atrium Mall, being as it was not surrounded by endless parking lots, unlike its cousin, the Chestnut Hill Mall, down the road. I would say this is what doomed it as well, though both Legacy Place and numerous local town centers have complex parking arrangements that don't seem to be posing so much of a problem (in Legacy Place's case, it may just be the novelty factor, though).

Imagine how well it would have worked out as a sort of vertical extension of the street retail scene on Boylston St. in the Back Bay, instead...

I remember when the Atrium opened they actually at first tried to charge for the garage parking - that went down just about as well as you'd imagine.

My guess is that they will keep the street level restaurants and convert the upper floors to office space.

3 Things.

1) It was mentioned elsewhere, but the atrium has been sold for conversion to medical offices. It's unclear whether it will retain any of the retailers, though I would be shocked to see the Cheesecake Factory leave. http://bostonherald.com/business/ge..._to_sell_for_50m_get_turned_into_docs_offices

2) Drove by today and the crane was just delivered on site at the new movie complex.

3) Lots of progress on the Wegmans site, looks like some foundation is going in right now. Still plenty of earth-moving to be done.

Praying they keep the Cheesecake Factory. It's in a fantastic location. So much more convenient than Prudential.

Cheesecake will probably stay in the neighborhood, but I wouldn't be shocked to see a move to either the Chestnut Hill Mall (if Simon gives them a deal to keep them as a tenant), or to the Square or the Shopping Center. Those sites all have better accessibility than this one, particularly when the roadway improvements are done.

Looks like the sale of the Atrium mall has been finalized. The article doesn't mention what the plans are for existing retail. Also, what's the point of LEED Gold certifying a suburban mall turned offices?

Looks like the sale of the Atrium mall has been finalized. The article doesn't mention what the plans are for existing retail. Also, what's the point of LEED Gold certifying a suburban mall turned offices?

Meta -- my read of the article in the Herald was that the Bulfinch Co planned to keep a ground level retail presence with medical offices and other offices above

Bulfinch plans to renovate the 300,000-square-foot property at 300 Boylston St.building — including installing a new glass façade — and rebrand the current mall into “The Atrium Center at Chestnut Hill,” a medical and office center with ground-floor retail.....

“The redeveloped property will provide potential tenants with unprecedented amenities and great access to the nearby suburbs,” he said in a statement. “We see this project as a unique fusion of urban amenities with suburban convenience, including an unparalleled parking ratio, and we look forward to integrating the new Atrium Center into the community. ”

Construction at Atrium Center at Chestnut Hill is set to begin this year. ADD Inc. has been selected as the architect and John Moriarty & Associates will be the project’s general contractor

The point of the LEED Gold is to "sell" the concept of the new building to prosepective tennants -- in otherwords -- this is not your father-in-law's old Atrium Mall

I'm sure it will have some greeny-name like "Atrium of the Garden of Eden Center"

Meta -- my read of the article in the Herald was that the Bulfinch Co planned to keep a ground level retail presence with medical offices and other offices above

The point of the LEED Gold is to "sell" the concept of the new building to prosepective tennants -- in otherwords -- this is not your father-in-law's old Atrium Mall

I'm sure it will have some greeny-name like "Atrium of the Garden of Eden Center"

The new name is actually stated in the blurb you yourself quoted. "Atrium Center At Chestnut Hill"

The new name is actually stated in the blurb you yourself quoted. "Atrium Center At Chestnut Hill"

BosD -- I know -- I was just pulling the 'Green-Chain"

besides if you as some at Chestnut Hill aka BC -- they tend to think of it in those terms

This gem is going up right next door on Hammond Pond Parkway.

321-hammond-1.jpg

http://www.bodwellpines.com/under-construction/hammond-pond-place

Back