Roxbury Infill and Small Developments

Great to see the developer anticipating the eventual addition of floors to 1 Warren. Frankly it amazes me how many times this is screwed up. Both ways, too; examples abound where the placement of windows had slowed the development of neighboring addresses.

In the larger context, the 4 city lots being developed are to contain 100,000 sq ft of commercial space? This to me is the real kicker for the area. We lost a big number of potential jobs with that mess across from the police station (don't know number). But I have a real gut feeling that these places will do a far more effective job in the "community building" category. I for one thought that the idea of a BJs was ridiculous, but even if you liked it, you have to admit that the quality of the jobs provided would be comparatively low.

I live within walking distance of Dudley (sorry it will always be the John Hancock building). I would love to have a reason to go there beyond the Tropical Food grocery store. Which, by the way, is great from a food perspective, if not an architectural one.

I agree with you on the BJs, definitely needs better local option.

I may be biased, but I think there already are tons of things worth coming to the square for: soleil has really good hot bar, theres a small somali restaurant in the ex-'Mr. G's' building, Fasika is wicked good Ethiopian food, Haley House just reopened, suya joint for SPICY nigerian food. But overall, you're right, there needs a better mix to draw people in. I think once the Dudley Complete Streets Project, the Dudley Branch Library Project, and some of these other parcels finish get underway and finish, this area's built environment will hopefully feel much different, but I also hope it doesn't kick out the people who enjoy the square as is.

Last edited:
Another CLT project at Washington and E. Lenox.

Side note - man, are the Mandela Homes ugly.

1600103369782.png

1600103397738.png

Its always interesting when they put these posh new buildings in questionable areas. The residents are going to love the junkies defecating on their sidewalks

Last edited:
Its always interesting when they put these posh new buildings in questionable areas. I'm the residents are going to love the junkies defecating on their sidewalks

To be fair, I've seen that in Cambridge, too.

Google earth shows a nice little recently-paved street grid there, 80% filled by surface parking... but that area could be transformed by some housing blocks like this.

That tiny swathe of art/graffiti the designers provided sure is a generous gesture to the community though...

Google earth shows a nice little recently-paved street grid there, 80% filled by surface parking... but that area could be transformed by some housing blocks like this.

That tiny swathe of art/graffiti the designers provided sure is a generous gesture to the community though...
I believe all those surface lots are owned by BWSC, which is a shame because it's absolutely prime for a little neighborhood development. I know the BPDA is unpopular for a lot of things but I think they would do better holding that land and doing a procurement process than the BWSC is just sitting on it. Land disposition is something they're actually quite good at, whereas I really don't know what the process is for BWSC to do land disposition...

Another CLT project at Washington and E. Lenox.

Side note - man, are the Mandela Homes ugly.

View attachment 7153
View attachment 7154
This is great. As others have noted, this area needs more infill --- and this is small infill not a megaproject on a huge lot --- which is also great.

Re the area --- the area has issues entirely because of all the vacant lots (fewer eyes on the street!) and the city's poor policies at mass/cass. The residents of the subsidized housing nearby don't deserve this nonsense either and development will help them, too. Developing this area is also key to keeping Roxbury affordable.

Commercial re-use and new residential building at St. James African Orthodox Church:

I particularly like this note:

The current entrance to the church at the corner of Cedar and Hawthorne streets will be treated as the ceremonial entrance, to be used occasionally.

Ah yes, on the day the store manager of the Starbucks leaves office, it will be tradition that the grand ceremonial doors are thrown open that she may leave by the legendary front staircase...

Commercial re-use and new residential building at St. James African Orthodox Church:

I particularly like this note:

Ah yes, on the day the store manager of the Starbucks leaves office, it will be tradition that the grand ceremonial doors are thrown open that she may leave by the legendary front staircase...

Haha, I'd be impressed if they found any commercial use for it. It would be great though if they did as the neighborhood is light on services and amenities.

Its always interesting when they put these posh new buildings in questionable areas. The residents are going to love the junkies defecating on their sidewalks
That did not stop people from moving in to the South End. The building I work in has million dollar units in the residential component and junkies camped out front on the sidewalk. Most of Roxbury is less this way than the South End.

That did not stop people from moving in to the South End. The building I work in has million dollar units in the residential component and junkies camped out front on the sidewalk. Most of Roxbury is less this way than the South End.
I lived in the South End for almost 5 years and you are not wrong. I just question people's thought process. Seems like some of them know there are junkies around and think when they move in they will just be able to call the cops or the city and make them go away when its probably not that easy. Like those people on East Springfield and East Worcester square who are protesting the junkies on their doorsteps. I know the problem has gotten worse with COVID, but did you really think the junkies werent going to be a serious issue when you decided to buy over there? And if they werent aware of the issue... well that's just a big yikes

I lived in the South End for almost 5 years and you are not wrong. I just question people's thought process. Seems like some of them know there are junkies around and think when they move in they will just be able to call the cops or the city and make them go away when its probably not that easy. Like those people on East Springfield and East Worcester square who are protesting the junkies on their doorsteps. I know the problem has gotten worse with COVID, but did you really think the junkies werent going to be a serious issue when you decided to buy over there? And if they werent aware of the issue... well that's just a big yikes
The City is good at keeping up quality of life for people who live in the area on the South End side. Worse on the Roxbury side. Terrible at fixing the issues for the homeless and addicted.

The City is good at keeping up quality of life for people who live in the area on the South End side. Worse on the Roxbury side. Terrible at fixing the issues for the homeless and addicted.
Tell that to the people on the streets I mentioned, they dont think so

Back