S.Station Tower Pitch

c_combat

Reaction score
I was tooling around on Google Sketch Up and with the idea of building something on top of South Station. I know the original tower proposal was either cancelled of put on hiatus.

Anyways, here's my idea for a mid-rise tower that has a huge footprint over the tracks (I think downtown Boston needs as much sq. footage as possible). However the height blends in nicely to the surrounding environment as to not piss off those how get all pissy about height in this city.

I would also, seeing that this building does have a large footprint, like to see a green roof that could serve as a small park ( a nice place to be in the summer whilst one waits for their train).

My idea is something modern that doesn't seem domineering to the excellent, historical gem that is the South Station and that compliments its surroundings.

SS1.jpg

SS2.jpg

SS3.jpg

SS4.jpg

If there is a place to go tall, SStation is it. Not a ton of low-rise residential in the vicinity to get all pissy about shadows. I don't think significant parts of Fort Point would ever fall in direct shadow. If you're going to build over the open air tracks at South Station, build big.

Eek, quite a landscraper. I agree with Busses, this is the prime location to go tall and slender.

Yea, it would be cool to see a really tall building there. I'd like to put as much sq. footage as possible too though. Maybe something mid rise over the tracks but with 1 or 2 taller structures that are incorporated?

hey c_combat, The links to your pictures seem to be broken (maybe just me) are they hosted somewhere else that I could see them?

go big or go home?

Scaled down but blasted up thru tha roof.

SS1.jpg

SS2.jpg

SS3.jpg

SS4.jpg

hey c_combat, The links to your pictures seem to be broken (maybe just me) are they hosted somewhere else that I could see them?

no idea why. I use the postimage site to upload stuff, im not tech savvy enough to know why you can't see :/

I'm seeing them fine. I think someone else had a problem seeing pix you uploaded of your maps in the Crazy Transit Pitch thread too a little while ago.

Also, there's the height we're talking about!!

I always imagine SST being built over the open tracks between the station building and the bus terminal, rather than building on top of the historic station.

Yes, this is meant to impose over the Federal Reserve. Because, FUCK THE FED!!

And also, Imagine that observation level? So sick... might as well move Logan ATC over there, nam'sayin?

Hah architectural placement out of populist rage, that's a new one! ;)

Don't listen to the people calling for "slender" because that is absolutely the wrong attitude to take here.

Frankly, building anything on top of the historic building is probably DOA for a variety of reasons but - were we ever to get to the point where we were able to build atop the station headhouse - your initial design of shorter but wider is so much more appropriate for the top of the building itself. I like the park as a concept, but I'm not sure whether there'd be a better use for that space as anything else because I've always envisioned a South Station Tower as mixed retail and hotel building, similar to the way the Grand Hyatt New York is conjoined to Grand Central.

Where you want to build tall is in the empty space between the station and the bus terminal, as BussesAin'tTrains mentioned, and in the space vacated by the post office, as others have mentioned will happen.

Can we not destroy the tiny bit of South Station that's left, please? There is plenty of space (including the modern concourse) that could be built on without destroying the precious little historic fabric that's left of the old building.

Otherwise, c-combat, I like the design a lot, it nicely mimics the curve of the terminal, and looks good from the back with those sexy curves.

Personally though, I'd love for the old train shed to somehow be reintegrated into a new development.
13628039245_32df1f8ff2_b.jpg

13628404784_cb3a0f71fb_b.jpg

I agree, the old elements should be preserved. They are cool, and should be incorporated into whatever is designed.

I still can't see!! I'm missing out, would love to see what you've come up with! Maybe when I get on my home computer it'll work.

Wonder if or when this building will be approved. It has been talked about for several years now, yet no decision has been made for it yet.

c_combat, how tall are your first and second iterations?

Back