Seaport Neighborhood - Infill and Discussion

Re: Innovation Dist. / South Boston Seaport

From Sunday

The Denver Tech Center looks lovely...

dtc81704.jpg

I kid. I do appreciate the photo updates though!

^ I gotta say, all kidding aside, the Seaport as it is now is lightyears better than that Denver pic.

Is there some particular architectural history behind the Denver / 128 office building style (i.e. the horizontal stripping?)

Is there some particular architectural history behind the Denver / 128 office building style (i.e. the horizontal stripping?)

I'd hazard its some sort of poor man's International-ized prairie style

I knew the O'Neill was about to pop up. God I hate that fucking building. You blew up the Manger for that? Sheesh.

I always assumed this was just basic form following function. Building inhabitants want wide windows at normal "window height" but don't need glass at floor/ceiling level. Thus, you end up with horizontal stripes of windows when you don't try too hard.

Parcel%20A%20Hotel_zpsj5rscmjf.jpg

City advances plans for hotel near South Boston cruise terminal

The Boston Redevelopment Authority voted to open negotiations with a hotel developer with big plans for a prime site in the South Boston Marine Industrial Park.

The zoning and development agency voted Thursday evening to tentatively allow Harbinger Development LLC to take out a long-term lease for the site. Harbinger was one of four companies vying for the chance to build on one of just two plots of land near the Reserved Channel where non-industrial projects are allowed.

Wellesley-based Harbinger is in talks with Hilton Worldwide to operate the 405-room hotel, which would be built on a 51,000-square-foot parcel on Summer Street, the Boston Redevelopment Authority said. The site is adjacent to the Black Falcon Cruise Terminal, where hundreds of thousands of passengers bound for Bermuda, Canada, and Europe embark and disembark on ships.

Nick Martin, a spokesman for the BRA, said the city agency would begin negotiating with Harbinger, which is seeking a 70-year lease on the site known as Parcel A. The project’s cost, the number of jobs it would create, and the total square footage of the hotel weren’t determined yet, the authority said in an e-mail.

From the Globe: http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...se-terminal/WwBhJXVlAGRvUhKKE0drOK/story.html (open in an incognito tab if you've used your free views for the month)

That plot is in the FAA/Massport 149' FLAT zone, in case anyone was wondering. So the 13 floors + mechanicals rendered is probably pretty close to accurate.

Nice how the current parking lot magically turns into a grassy field.

ICA abandons expansion effort into neighboring office tower
Malcolm Gay, Boston Globe

The Institute of Contemporary Art has abandoned its effort to expand into the 17-story office building immediately across the street, a plan that would have increased the museum’s gallery space by a third.

“The conclusion we came to was that the 12,000 square feet of floor space wouldn’t provide enough public impact for us, and our resources would be better spent pursuing alternative visions for growth,” ICA director Jill Medvedow said Tuesday. “In the end, we wanted to look and see what was the best way to expend our resources to get the most public impact.”

The expansion plan would have connected the ICA via a sky bridge to a 19,000-square-foot, two-story space in an adjacent tower being developed by the Fallon Co. The proposed expansion would have included 6,000 square feet of new galleries in a double-height space, with the remaining area devoted to such things as curatorial offices, conservation, and study spaces.

Story continues ...

Back