Seaport Neighborhood - Infill and Discussion

Re: Innovation Dist. / South Boston Seaport

75 on Courthouse has closed...apparently for renovations which makes 0 sense since its 7 months old. Place was always dead. Not a good sign for 2nd floor retail in the new buildings in Seaport.

Louisville, Kentucky-based Humana (NYSE: HUM) announced Monday that it has signed a lease for 40,000 square feet of office space at 281 Summer St. The office, to be known as Humana Studio H, "will focus on pioneering new products and services that will then be developed for use across the organization," the company said in a statement. It will also house a team "focused on creating a new health experience for seniors," Humana said.

https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/...tal-health.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

20180825_165135 by J Sinclair, on Flickr

20180825_165139 by J Sinclair, on Flickr

20180825_165147 by J Sinclair, on Flickr

20180825_165507 by J Sinclair, on Flickr

20180825_165723 by J Sinclair, on Flickr

This place was ok. Having to go through a bag check to access a fucking park is pretty dystopian though

20180826_120251 by J Sinclair, on Flickr

20180826_120302 by J Sinclair, on Flickr

20180826_120650 by J Sinclair, on Flickr

More seaport

20180826_123901 by J Sinclair, on Flickr

20180826_142119 by J Sinclair, on Flickr

20180826_142433 by J Sinclair, on Flickr

20180826_142438 by J Sinclair, on Flickr

20180826_142531 by J Sinclair, on Flickr

20180826_142731 by J Sinclair, on Flickr

20180826_144411 by J Sinclair, on Flickr

20180826_145213 by J Sinclair, on Flickr

This place was ok. Having to go through a bag check to access a fucking park is pretty dystopian though

That pretty much sums up how I feel about the Seaport. Even the open spaces I know are public property feel like I am being allowed to be there by some private entity, and my invitation may be revoked at any time.

Looks like the parks are full. What time did you take those pictures?

That pretty much sums up how I feel about the Seaport. Even the open spaces I know are public property feel like I am being allowed to be there by some private entity, and my invitation may be revoked at any time.

Also that Martin Richard park seems like its going to be very elaborate... curious (not curious) how its in super high end seaport and not in maybe the neighborhood he's from? The parks and in particular the playgrounds around the city are mostly decent and improving for sure but this one is far better than others.

I think it’s intended to benefit all the families visiting the Children’s Museum.

Also that Martin Richard park seems like its going to be very elaborate... curious (not curious) how its in super high end seaport and not in maybe the neighborhood he's from? The parks and in particular the playgrounds around the city are mostly decent and improving for sure but this one is far better than others.

The park is privately funded, with the fundraising effort run by the Richard family. City money isn't being spent on it (but mitigation funds from Seaport developers, which are earmarked for the neighborhood, are). Also, the family has been very involved in the park's planning and development.

The site is right on the water and next to the Children's Museum. It's a great location for a high-profile, elaborate park for kids! There's nothing wrong with it being there rather than in Dorchester.

Good point Dorchester parks are in need of upgrading

Having to go through a bag check to access a fucking park is pretty dystopian though

IIRC, Lawn on D is Massachusetts Convention Center Authority (MCCA) property. As is the case for most convention centers I've ever been to, a security checkpoint/bag check is standard. The popularity of Lawn on D is unquestionable, but don't mistake it for Boston Common. I'd argue that security at private parks with nice amenities is commonplace (i.e. Fenway Park, Gillette Stadium, Magic Kingdom, Universal Studios).

IIRC, Lawn on D is Massachusetts Convention Center Authority (MCCA) property. As is the case for most convention centers I've ever been to, a security checkpoint/bag check is standard. The popularity of Lawn on D is unquestionable, but don't mistake it for Boston Common. I'd argue that security at private parks with nice amenities is commonplace (i.e. Fenway Park, Gillette Stadium, Magic Kingdom, Universal Studios).

The MCCA is still a public entity of the Commonwealth. It's no more "private" than, say, Massport, but you won't find bag checks at Piers Park.

The other examples you cite are actual private facilities, owned by corporations (and they charge admission!).

Post Office Square is also actually private, and they don't have bag checks. The same could be said for Harvard Yard or any of the University-owned semi-public spaces around Greater Boston.

You cannot walk from the lawn into the convention center. There is a bag check between the convention center and the lawn.

Also, I attend a convention at the convention center in DC every year and there are no bag checks.

Sadly, this is the world we live in. In 1983 i took too much for granted. At least this isn't Europe where marauding bands of barbarians have taken whole sections of once proud western cities .....and random folks get cut to pieces just for going out for a cup of java.

Ain't that some rad dystopia.

On the bright side.... i drove by a gigantic sign a guy had set up on a lean-to on his front lawn off i-80 in western Nebraska.... a massive sign displaying

TRUMP

Last edited:

What exactly is the purpose or use of bringing national and international politics into this thread? Seems extremely off-topic and counterproductive to conversation.

Back