Seaport Neighborhood - Infill and Discussion

1934C69B-CFBC-4B68-B4F8-BEACFEFB9898.jpeg

This is a GREAT new place to hang and take that selfie in Boston. I remember for Manhattan from movies past they always seemed to insert that classic shot of Brooklyn Bridge with lower Manhattan in the background. This last pic in the Seaport with the tall ship to the right and downtown in the background can compete, no doubt about it. Hope they keep this ship or others at this dock all summer.

The Fan Pier Steps are definitely a hit. Having tall ships docked there doesn't hurt, but this is buzzing every nice day. These are from Saturday --

View attachment 37617View attachment 37618View attachment 37619View attachment 37620
The two tall ships are the Mexican Navy's Cuauhtémoc, built 1982, and the Dutch Stad Amsterdam, built 2000. One can book passage on Stad Amsterdam; this year from Boston to the Azores. In 2014, from Boston to Malaga. Bring lots of Dramamine if you're susceptible.

Parcel K Northern Ave, Hyatt and Ora Residences. Nice outdoor space on the upper deck, separated from the truck traffic at Northern and the Silverline traffic I can see why it's needed. The views of the harbor are a bonus for the residents as well as the hotel. I think the music venue speakers are facing the water so the concert music shouldn't be too bad.

IMG_4710.JPG
IMG_4711.JPG

IMG_4714.JPG

I havent been to the park in a while. I remember that half of the fallen veterans names were permanently installed on glass, and the other half were on temporary wooden (eazels?). I see that now there is a single permanent pane on the right, does that mean its finished? Or are there a few more to go? If its finished it probably would have made more sense to put 3 on each side vs 5 and 1. Either way if it is finished at least that part is finally done.

I havent been to the park in a while. I remember that half of the fallen veterans names were permanently installed on glass, and the other half were on temporary wooden (eazels?). I see that now there is a single permanent pane on the right, does that mean its finished? Or are there a few more to go? If its finished it probably would have made more sense to put 3 on each side vs 5 and 1. Either way if it is finished at least that part is finally done.

From the Massachusetts Fallen Heroes web site, there is a yearly ceremony.

Updated glass panels with the names of the most recent Fallen Heroes will be unveiled by Gold Star Family members.

There appears to be a weeks worth of fund raising events to fund part 2 of the memorial, the Honor Block, adjacent to the obelisk.
Untitled2.png

I don't know if that part of the Fallen Heroes project is still going to happen. It was supposed to be located in the low rise building to be constructed adjacent to the park. That building has been nixed in favor of a larger expansion of the park.

I know that a lot of Seaport/Fort Point residents complain about the lack of a real park in the neighborhood, and that's a legitimate critique -- there absolutely should be a sizable park somewhere that offers different types of amenities for everyone. But, large parks aside, the amount of space in the Seaport that's dedicated solely to car-free lingering, congregating, and/or strolling is just incredible. Everything shaded black in the below is currently a welcoming, pedestrian-only space:

Screen Shot 2023-06-04 at 3.44.01 PM.png

And this map doesn't even account for the fact that the streets between Congress and Seaport Blvd and Northern Ave and the harbor all effectively operate as woonerfs.

The Seaport still does feel like an outdoor mall to an extent. But I wonder if that's less a result of the focus on high-end retail (the Back Bay has plenty of that and doesn't get saddled with that critique) and more with the fact that some of these areas feel and operate very much like mall atriums. Of course, since malls were only trying to emulate great urbanism in the first place, this is a good thing, even if it can feel a little uncanny at first.

Back