Seaport Neighborhood - Infill and Discussion

Re: South Boston Seaport

^^
Well, Jimmy's actually tries to be urban, creates a mix of uses and engages with the street, so it is bound to be more interesting in many ways.

Perhaps there is some hope yet for Boston.
Does anyone know the specifics of the developer: is it just Jimmy upgrading from the previous 1 story building on his own property? Is that all it takes for a decent project to be born, smaller lots and smaller ownership?

... Jimmy's actually tries to be urban, creates a mix of uses and engages with the street, so it is bound to be more interesting in many ways.

Perhaps there is some hope yet for Boston. ... Is that all it takes for a decent project to be born, smaller lots and smaller ownership?
Yup.

Is that all it takes for a decent project to be born, smaller lots and smaller ownership?

This is obvious to anyone with an elementary understanding of urban planning, yet the BRA just doesn't seem to get it. I would love to hear their justification for encouraging the large project / large block model over smaller projects. You would think nobody there ever heard of Jane Jacobs.

If smaller projects and fragmented ownership were encouraged in the Seaport, Jimmy's would be just one of many decent projects underway - we would hardly notice it. Instead we're left to put it on a pedestal, since it's all we have besides 1MPD.

If smaller projects and fragmented ownership were encouraged in the Seaport, Jimmy's would be just one of many decent projects underway - we would hardly notice it.
... and at sidewalk level, we'd hardly notice it if its dainty footprint got projected to 53 stories.

Last edited:

This is obvious to anyone with an elementary understanding of urban planning, yet the BRA just doesn't seem to get it. I would love to hear their justification for encouraging the large project / large block model over smaller projects.

Well the justification is almost too easy that they get away with it. The problem is, the BRA is not in the business of city building.

... and at sidewalk level, we'd hardly notice it if its dainty footprint got projected to 53 stories.

Precisely.

Well the justification is almost too easy that they get away with it. The problem is, the BRA is not in the business of city building.

Is this not the root of the problem with the BRA? Catering to big business interests and political cronies does not make for good city building.

Interesting snippet from NY Magazine:

It?s not impossible, of course, to create a neighborhood from scratch. David Walentas famously did it in Dumbo. ?But Dumbo was unique,? he says, ?totally different from other neighborhoods that have gone through transformation and gentrification in the last 30 years.?

Walentas, who is 71, started Two Trees Development in 1968. He bought buildings in Soho in the early seventies and Noho shortly after. Then Walentas asked his staff, ?Soho, Noho, what?s next?? Someone told him ?Dumbo.? Walentas said, ?Where the fuck is Dumbo?? He decided to pay it a visit.

What he found was a largely vacant district of warehouses and factories on the Brooklyn waterfront, zoned for industrial use. He bought eight buildings, 2 million square feet, for $12 million, in 1981. ?I got lucky. No one else wanted it. I bought the whole neighborhood.? It took seventeen years for him to persuade the city to rezone the area. After that, he assumed the role of ?benevolent dictator,? as he says, ?with a vision for the whole neighborhood.? He lured stores like Jacques Torres Chocolate and West Elm by offering them a few years? worth of free rent. ?That way, we created the neighborhood. We could give space away because we had so much, it didn?t matter. And it made my other properties more valuable. If you only owned one building, you would never do that. If you own one building, you take care of one building.?

It was a rare experiment in SimCity-style neighborhood building, but it worked, right down to the goofy name. Most people assume Walentas invented the acronym Dumbo (Down Under Manhattan Bridge Overpass), but it predates him. ?I loved it, but my lawyers and consultants said, ?What are you, crazy? No one will ever want to go there.? So they came up with ?Fulton Landing.? I said, ?Fulton Landing? That sounds like it?s on the Ohio River. That could be fucking anywhere.? ?

http://nymag.com/realestate/neighborhoods/2010/65365/

This sounds more like Fort Point (an industrial area full of old buildings is not 'from scratch') than Fan Pier (totally empty area).

I'm sure the planes landing on Runway 9 would notice though.

They would --and we're not those guys. Would you have been happier if I had written 23 stories?

The point really was: does it make any difference to anyone besides a pilot? Above about seven stories, does a building's height matter to anyone but a pilot?

Does it matter to you on the sidewalk?

It does if you're afraid of the perpetual darkness!

Aircraft do not overfly this location on a landing approach. Ever.

Oh, I thought they did, but came from the south as if they were using the 2 parallel runways, then realigned over the harbor. I didn't think they were allowed to come over Winthrop for that runway?

It does if you're afraid of the perpetual darkness!

Noooo, it burns!

Inbound (landing) flights can only approach over Point Shirley (Winthrop).

9/27 is used in either direction for departures.

News of it has been posted multiple times in various threads...we mostly make fun of it. We already have Kendall, why do we need to have a make-believe Kendall-by-the-Sea? I hope that life science companies all see this as a joke, too.

The last time I flew out of Logan (within the past month or so), we made a bee-line for the Southie and banked hard to the right once we were directly over the Seaport. I had never experienced a takeoff that brought me so close to where buildings could be. I always scoffed at height limits in that area until that particular departure.

Not sure if this is still relevant, but I flew in right over the Seaport when I was landing just this past week. Maybe it was different since I was in one of those little American Eagle Regional Jets.

kennedy, you probably were landing on 22L/4R, over Castle Island, not the Seaport proper.

I'd say it was pretty much right over City Point, just barely at the edge of where the drydocks were - certainly not where the height restrictions are a problem. Looking at Google Maps, we landed on the runway that's to the left and parallel to the very long North/South-ish runway (which I assume is 22L/4R, judging by the length).

Back