Seaport Neighborhood - Infill and Discussion

Re: Innovation Dist. / South Boston Seaport

^^Oh I forgot to include the observation that Draper Labs, which has how many millions of SF in Kendall square, while affiliated with MIT, is funded in large part by......you guessed it, the ubiquitous taxpayer to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars each year. Again - not taking a position on right or wrong here, just saying that all of a sudden that $26 million for the SPID sounds like a drop in the bucket compared to the taxpayer subsidies that Kendall Square enjoys.

^^
Rifleman, you seem stuck in attack mode over the use of taxpayer dollars on the Innovation District while extolling the virtues of the way Harvard and MIT do research in Cambridge. I love Harvard and MIT as much as the next guy, but $26 million in TIF financing for Vertex, which is a private for-profit that funds its own research, pales in comparison to the hundreds of millions or billions of NIH, NSF, and other taxpayer-funded grants that MIT and Harvard have gotten over the past 5 years and applied to their research. And I'm certainly glad that they did - I'm not taking a stand on whether the use of taxpayer funds for R&D is a worthy cause, I'm just saying that your nearly pathological fixation on the use of TIF financing for the new Vertex HQ needs to be compared to the magnitude of taxpayer subsidy that flow to the institutions that keep Kendall Square full also.

If you're against the use of taxpayer dollars to fund private research (whether non-profit or for-profit, it's all private), that's cool, but don't get all hot and bothered about a relatively small sum that went to support the Vertex buildings and conveniently overlook an order-of-magnitude greater sum of taxpeyer money that funds the Cambridge institutions (whose combined endowment is um...$35 billion....$40 billion?)

I guess my complaint is Fallon and his private investors are the only real culprits that will reap these benefits. I actually thought that the developer is supposed to give back to the community but for some reason in this instance they are actually taking from the community.

Its the same stupidity that the BRA supported the Liberty Mutual Expansion with 46.5 Million in tax benefits to a billion dollar insurance company to expand in the backbay with under 5% vacancy.

Yes........ NIH spends billions of dollars in research to private corporations and College Institutions. Maybe it's time to CUT GOVT SPENDING.

Also in SPID........The more they build the more money its going to cost the city of Boston to maintain the area............

After all the taxes we pay. The city is trying to implement taxes like BID, The Greenway Tax came across the table for the small local businesses. We'll the city & state might want to halt there generous tax breaks to their special friends.

If you buy a property and the numbers don't make sense to build it. There is a reason. Maybe you paid too much for the property so now the taxpayers have to bail them out. That is the reality if you support the politicans with generous donations they will basically support private interest stupidity not what is best for the area or the people.

Rifleman, thanks for showing your true colors when you dismiss the billions of dollars of NIH and NSF funding and just say it's time to "CUT GIVT SPENDING."

Also, just for the record, I don't think there are any small businesses being asked to pay what you call the "Greenway Tax" - just big landlords like Equity, Chiafaro, and BP...

Speaking of, your statement about "maybe you paid too much for the property and the numbers don't make sense" should be applied to your friend who bought the Harbor Garage and now is pleading poverty and saying he can't make the numbers work. Oh sure, he's not asking for direct government subsidy in the form of a TIF, but he is looking for huge discretionary zoning relief and other forms of discretionary governmental action, which is basically a form of indirect government subsidy. So your arguments on this board across different threads are fairly circular....

Zoning relief =! government tax subsidy

....biatch!

^^Oh I forgot to include the observation that Draper Labs, which has how many millions of SF in Kendall square, while affiliated with MIT, is funded in large part by......you guessed it, the ubiquitous taxpayer to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars each year. Again - not taking a position on right or wrong here, just saying that all of a sudden that $26 million for the SPID sounds like a drop in the bucket compared to the taxpayer subsidies that Kendall Square enjoys.

Greenway -- you need to make the distinction between different typesof public Funding:

1) TIF and other local financing for construction of commercial facilities operated by for-profit entities
2) Research Grants from mostly Fed and some State agencies
3) R&D contacts from Fed Agencies or private enterprise

key differences;

Category (1) projects are always about buildings and the argument is why doesn't this building pay the same taxes per sq. ft. as some other building -- its the same argument except on a larger scale as the differnence in tax rates for residential and commercial / industrial properties practiced by many cities and towns

Category (2) Reseach grants go to individuals who are usually affiliated with one or more an institutions to fund research at the cutting edge and beyond:
a) which austensibly no company will fund becaue of its esoteric nature -- now somewhat in question because of things such as Google X-labs -- e.g. high energy particle accelerators such as LHC
b) which is tied directly to National Security -- fairly rare for pure R, more common for applied research -- e.g. high energy Electromagnetic Pulse generation
c) which is so-called dual-use technology -- mostly highly appplied R or D which can benefit a National priority and also be marketable in the private sector -- e.g. GPS originally developed for the military

Category (3) contract Reserch and Deveopment -- can be funded by government entities, NGO's, individuals or for profit companies -- the contract is usually with the institution although a consortium may be involed;
a) doing proprietary research to benefit one or more for-profit companies -- should not receive a nickel in public funds
b) tied directly to National Security or other major National Priorities -- clearly where the taxpayer has a stake
c) which is so-called dual-use technology -- mostly highly appplied R or Development -- complicated due to the ability of the entity to profit from commercial applications

Note that Cat (1) is part of the courtship dance of the developer of a facility and the govenment entity approving the building project. Since every project is a compromise between what the developer wants and what the city wants -- the function of the deal making is to move the equilibium point depending on how desparate each party is to do the deal. The specifics are all over the place from developers building parks and sidewalks to cities offering to not tax for some specific periord of time. Ultimtely it is up to the citizens to decide if the deals conducted in their behalf have improved the city or not and to act accordingly.

Suffice it to say that since appraisal and tax policy is not science -- no one really knows how much a given building should be taxed to maximize the overall benefits to the city -- however quantified.

However, much more significant to the future of the SPID than a few tax increment tinancings of buildings is Cat 2 and Cat 3 reserch and development funding. In an innovation area that is a part of the Knowledge Economy you would expect to find both Cat (2 and 3) though not necessarily conducted at the same location or by the same entities -- the Global "Research Universities" such as MIT do both granted and contract reserach and development with the more applied R and the D done in a place such as Lincoln Laboratory. Draper and Volpe in Kendall due some of both although not much is pure R and most is Cat 3..

The SPID so-far has not got any large entity doing Cat 2,3) -- as companies such as Vertex are doing work for themselves -- paid for by their shareholders and the profits from their continuing operations. Smaller start-ups typically are working on projects funded by their investors although there could very well be entities in the SPID participating through SBIR funds.

However, what is lacking from the SPID is a large-enough contract research entitty to do or be a participant in fairly large scale projects whether funded by gov't enitires ( e.g. NIH), NGO (e.g HHMI), wealthy individuals or private foundations (e.g. Gates, Deshpande), etc -- but not tied to a specific product.

The Innovation District – Boston’s New Hot Destination

By Ellen Keiley, K&L Gates

Just a few years ago, the South Boston Waterfront didn’t have much to it. Fast forward to 2012 and the area is exploding with activity in what’s now known as Boston’s Innovation District – one of Boston’s hottest neighborhoods.

It’s never been a better time for the development, as there’s a new generation of workers, and Boston wants to keep them. They walk and ride bikes to work, and they can do it all without leaving the city. Much of the development started after a 2010 mandate from Boston Mayor Tom Menino to develop 1000 acres of waterfront property as a platform of entrepreneurship focused on 3 initiatives – jobs, housing, and infrastructure.

The district was created to attract innovative people and companies and fuel economic engines for Boston. It’s a way to win the war to obtain and retain talent. The Innovation District has created 3000 new jobs and 100 companies.

MassChallenge moved to the area in 2010 and has brought a lot of excitement and innovation to the area with its mission to “Catalyze a startup renaissance.” MassChallenge is the largest start-up accelerator and competition in the world and offers 125 finalist start-up companies access to world-class mentorship and training, free office space, access to funding and media, and other perks, such as free business flights provided by American Airlines. The winners of the challenge receive $1M in cash awards and over $4 Million worth of in-kind support collectively.

MassChallenge occupies 27,000 square feet of Class A office space at One Marina Park Drive, an 18-story mixed use building with cutting edge architecture and incredible ocean views. MassChallenge’s Director of Partnerships, Scott Bailey, said the developer of One Marina Park Drive, Joe Fallon, has been “a massive supporter of MassChallenge and provides all the office space at no charge.”

Advertising Agency, Allen & Gerritsen, is moving to the Innovation District in September of 2012. After the move, the company is planning on adding up to 50 new jobs. According to Allen & Gerritsen’s CEO, Andrew Graff, the company grew out of its current space, and there was real appeal to moving to the waterfront area. Graff said “it’s where the action is,” and they wanted to move into an area of like-minded companies. Graff said “Creativity, technology and curiosity are what Allen & Gerritsen is all about, and that aligns with what the Innovation District is all about.”

The Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce views the Innovation District as having enormous potential and actively supported Mayor Menino’s efforts to develop the area. Charles Rudnick, Vice President of Communications for the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce, stated “years ago the area was in stagnation and now it’s an energetic area with a thriving nightlife.” Rudnick described the Innovation District as a cluster of innovative, forward-looking companies, driven by innovation.

Legendary Restaurant Group/Papagayo co-owner, Chris Damian, saw major opportunity in the Innovation District before opening his Mexican restaurant in the space formerly occupied by restaurant Persephone. Damian feels Persephone was a “super talented neat concept,” but it was ahead of its time, and the area didn’t have the infrastructure around it to support it at the time. Damian has lived in the Seaport area for years and watched the area explode with development. Now Damian describes the area as a “destination location,” and feels the amount of professionals moving into the area will create even more opportunity for businesses.

The area really is exploding with activity and has numerous dining and entertainment options, such as Nick Varano’s Strega on the Waterfront, Chef Jody Adam’s Trade, Legal Harborside, and sports bar Remy’s on the Waterfront and many more. They join cultural attractions such as The Institute of Contemporary Art/Boston (ICA) and the Tea Party Ships and Museum, which plans to open in June of 2012.

Boston is truly a world class city, and the Innovation District certainly is a place that showcases that.

Ellen Keiley is a Boston World Partnerships Connector and a member of the Business Development Department at K&L Gates in Boston. She can be contacted at ellen.keiley [AT] klgates.com

http://www.boston.com/business/blogs/global-business-hub/2012/02/the_innovation.html

I dont know if this has ever really been discussed but how is all this new development affecting the existing housing stock in South Boston (proper)? When I still lived in the area I remember Southie was just starting to gentrify, is that picking up? Is that where all these new workers are really going for a night out?

That Boston Globe blog is not written by reporters.

As indicated in the fine print, "BOSTON BUSINESS HUB" content is provided by Boston World Partnerships, a non-profit created by Mayor Menino. Folks at Boston World Partnerships are familiar to me as ex-City employees and ex-BRA employees. I honestly don't understand where the Globe draws the line between reporting and public relations anymore.

SOME FACTS (Please correct me)

Two new towers have gone up in 15 years on the waterfront with the approval of the Boston Redevelopment Authority: One Marina Park Drive and the ICA

Two are currently under construction: Vertex/Fan Pier

One new tower has gone up in Fort Point in 15 years: 25 Channel Center.

A small infill building went up at FP3 about 5 years ago.

No housing has been created in 5 years, and fewer than 50 units are under construction. Unless you start counting West Broadway and South Boston's Lower End as the Innovation District to come up with numbers.

That's it for 15 years of BRA master planning and press releases. Not a problem, but to suggest the South Boston Waterfront is "exploding with activity" is propaganda for Bostonians in Brookline to believe.

The 3,000 new workers are a mystery to me, living in the Innovation District for 20 years. There has not been a signficant or noticeable difference in the population. I think that 3,000 number has been fudged to include employees at Atlantic Wharf and One Financial Center. Channel Center has some new companies, but is far from tenanted. The area north of Congress has been fully tenanted since I arrived. Since roughly 1995, many buildings south of Congress have rolled tenancies -- not new workers -- which the 3,000 does not account for properly. Fort Point became red hot 15 years ago and buzz has been steady on the ground that whole time.

Liberty Wharf (on Massport land) has experienced a signficant change -- as a destination.

Another significant change is that the new ID workforce is young, vibrant and social -- a good thing. But they are also here for one reason: cheap space. When prices escalate (as everyone anticipates) they are gone.

Once again, I totally understand and appreciate the ID buzz but can't believe the Boston Globe doesn't separate hype from facts. Let's see a map of actual construction sites and a map of actual jobs and companies -- accounting for rolled tenancies and unsustainable leases (free on One Marina Park Drive).

I definitely got a press release vibe from that article as well.

Hopefully - perhaps - the ID "manufactured buzz" is actually creating some momentum for the neighborhood... maybe?

When it's all done, though, I really hope the ID designation doesn't stick. Please let's just go back to calling it the Seaport and excluding everything in the Financial District.

The 3,000 new workers are a mystery to me, living in the Innovation District for 20 years. There has not been a signficant or noticeable difference in the population. I think that 3,000 number has been fudged to include employees at Atlantic Wharf and One Financial Center. Channel Center has some new companies, but is far from tenanted. The area north of Congress has been fully tenanted since I arrived. Since roughly 1995, many buildings south of Congress have rolled tenancies -- not new workers -- which the 3,000 does not account for properly. Fort Point became red hot 15 years ago and buzz has been steady on the ground that whole time.

I agree Sicilian. I assume in that 3,000 figure they are not netting out the hundreds of workers and dozens (hundreds?) of residents that were kicked out of the Boston Wharf buildings about 8-10 years ago. I was one of those workers. My company was told we couldn't renew our lease because the whole area was being made into the "next SoHo". Those buildings still sit vacant today.

Every 5 years the BRA has created a new buzz around Fort Point. I'd be more into it if I thought there was zoning/planning to support the claims.

In 2010 Fort Point became "Innovation District."

In 2005 Fort Point was Boston's new SOHO and was christened as "Boston Wharf District." During this period, a number of tenanted buildings were emptied. Many of those remain empty today, unaccounted for.

In 2000, with the "Seaport Plan" Fort Point was promoted as "the South Boston Waterfront's residential hub." It was renamed "Wormwood District."

In 1995 Fort Point was given the unofficial title as "Boston's Dotcom District." Dot coms moved in all along Summer and Melcher. All gone now, priced out or out of business.

In 1990 it was "Boston's Artist District." Once the largest concentration of artists in New England, down to 250-300 artists today. Priced out.

On the bright side, Fort Point has lurched in a positive direction, largely due to the stewardship of a few decent developers (Beacon and Berkeley) and steady tenancies of companies in BWCo. buildings (e.g. Thompson Reuters, etc.).

The potential remains extraordinary -- to me it's the #1 place in town to be. But I think to suggest ID / Fort Point is exploding with 3,000 workers and massive new development is a mischaracterization. The Globe can't just keep reprinting these escalating claims without fact-checking, can they?

^ Thank you, thank you for shining perspective on these endless, meaningless branding schemes.

Really, there seem to be more shitty marketers than planners working in City Hall...

That Boston Globe blog is not written by reporters.

As indicated in the fine print, "BOSTON BUSINESS HUB" content is provided by Boston World Partnerships, a non-profit created by Mayor Menino. Folks at Boston World Partnerships are familiar to me as ex-City employees and ex-BRA employees. I honestly don't understand where the Globe draws the line between reporting and public relations anymore.

SOME FACTS (Please correct me)

Two new towers have gone up in 15 years on the waterfront with the approval of the Boston Redevelopment Authority: One Marina Park Drive and the ICA

Two are currently under construction: Vertex/Fan Pier

One new tower has gone up in Fort Point in 15 years: 25 Channel Center.

A small infill building went up at FP3 about 5 years ago.

No housing has been created in 5 years, and fewer than 50 units are under construction. Unless you start counting West Broadway and South Boston's Lower End as the Innovation District to come up with numbers.

That's it for 15 years of BRA master planning and press releases. Not a problem, but to suggest the South Boston Waterfront is "exploding with activity" is propaganda for Bostonians in Brookline to believe.

Liberty Wharf (on Massport land) has experienced a signficant change -- as a destination.

Another significant change is that the new ID workforce is young, vibrant and social -- a good thing. But they are also here for one reason: cheap space. When prices escalate (as everyone anticipates) they are gone.

Once again, I totally understand and appreciate the ID buzz but can't believe the Boston Globe doesn't separate hype from facts. Let's see a map of actual construction sites and a map of actual jobs and companies -- accounting for rolled tenancies and unsustainable leases (free on One Marina Park Drive).

Sicil -- the piece is a PR job -- but I think you are missing a whole lot of development (unless you just picked your window "purely at random" to make your point) -- if you are going to be fair in your assessment then you need to include the following in the past 10+ years:

1) Renaissance Hotel on Congress
2) Park Lane residences
3) Westin Waterfront
4) re-do of the old Barnes Building now occupied by the Herald, etc.
5) the BCEC itself
6) at least one of the Fidelity developed Seaport office towers
7) Manulife Financial

In addition to the building there are a number of companies who have or are in the process of bringing hundreds of jobs -- and then next year there will be Vertex

Not to belabor the point -- but I saw the same development curve in Kendall / Cambridge Center post 1970 when Tech Square became an address -- it only took 40 years -- if the equivalent to Tech Sq. is the Federal Courthouse, let alone Marina Park dr. -- then the SPID is ahead of the curve

Sicil -- the piece is a PR job -- but I think you are missing a whole lot of development (unless you just picked your window "purely at random" to make your point) -- if you are going to be fair in your assessment then you need to include the following in the past 10+ years:

1) Renaissance Hotel on Congress
2) Park Lane residences
3) Westin Waterfront
4) re-do of the old Barnes Building now occupied by the Herald, etc.
5) the BCEC itself
6) at least one of the Fidelity developed Seaport office towers
7) Manulife Financial

In addition to the building there are a number of companies who have or are in the process of bringing hundreds of jobs -- and then next year there will be Vertex

Not to belabor the point -- but I saw the same development curve in Kendall / Cambridge Center post 1970 when Tech Square became an address -- it only took 40 years -- if the equivalent to Tech Sq. is the Federal Courthouse, let alone Marina Park dr. -- then the SPID is ahead of the curve

My facts stand.

I explicitly was referencing development on the South Boston Waterfront "with the approval of the Boston Redevelopment Authority." That point was emphasized when I stated, "That's it for 15 years of BRA master planning and press releases."

You provided examples that are on Massport property, planned by Massport planners, and not under BRA jurisdiction (Massport only agreed to go through a voluntary Article 80 "Lite" review) and the Convention Center -- a public project.

Furthermore, the Globe piece suggests that since 2010 the ID is "exploding" with development. None of the project you cite were built within the past 2-3 years. I already mentioned the two Vertex towers.

Again, I have no problem with the lack of progress and don't blame City Hall. But let's call the facts as we see them so we can make rational decisions going forward.

Last edited:

My facts stand.

I explicitly was referencing development on the South Boston Waterfront "with the approval of the Boston Redevelopment Authority." That point was emphasized when I stated, "That's it for 15 years of BRA master planning and press releases."

You provided examples that are on Massport property, planned by Massport planners, and not under BRA jurisdiction (Massport only agreed to go through a voluntary Article 80 "Lite" review) and the Convention Center -- a public project.

Furthermore, the Globe piece suggests that since 2010 the ID is "exploding" with development. None of the project you cite were built within the past 2-3 years. I already mentioned the two Vertex towers.

Again, I have no problem with the lack of progress and don't blame City Hall. But let's call the facts as we see them so we can make rational decisions going forward.

Sicil -- I will concede your specific point about BRA versus Massport or the Legislature having the jurisdiction -- but that is not really the issue

you wrote about false branding:
" In 2000, with the "Seaport Plan" Fort Point was promoted as "the South Boston Waterfront's residential hub." It was renamed "Wormwood District."

In 1995 Fort Point was given the unofficial title as "Boston's Dotcom District." Dot coms moved in all along Summer and Melcher. All gone now, priced out or out of business.

In 1990 it was "Boston's Artist District." Once the largest concentration of artists in New England, down to 250-300 artists today. Priced out. "

I can't really speak to the artists or wormwood residences -- however " " In 1995 Fort Point was given the unofficial title as "Boston's Dotcom District." Dot coms moved in all along Summer and Melcher. All gone now, priced out or out of business'. -- pricing out had nothing to do with it

At least that one suffered from external factors - i.e. the collapse world-wide of the Dotcom / Telecom Bubble -- i still have a thick brochure from Sun Microsystems -- called Dot.Sun which I received at an invitation-only breakfast and luncheon sponsored by Sun, Oracle, Veritas, a now defunct web hosting facility operator, and a now defunct web consulting company.

the keynote speaker, a fomer dotcomer, who became a VC, told a story in answer to his question how do you get rich in the Dot.Com Boom -- which of course turned into the Dot.Com Bomb -- it had to do wih trees in Waltham

Also remember that at the time of the heyday of Thinking Machines -- Kendall was christened AI Alley

Well to bring things up to date -- many of the VC's funding the dotcoms and telecoms in 1996--2001 -- at least those still in business have moved -- to Kendall from the western suburbs

We know of at least one VC who has set up shop in the SPID -- so the process is moving forward -- it just takes time and sometime its quite messy

^whighlander

I took issue with the following quote published by The Boston Globe and posted in this thread:

"Much of the development started after a 2010 mandate from Boston Mayor Tom Menino to develop 1000 acres of waterfront property as a platform of entrepreneurship focused on 3 initiatives – jobs, housing, and infrastructure."

Much of what development since 2010? Two Vertex towers? In 15 years there is 1 tower and 2 under way in the Seaport.

Housing since 2010? The last housing built under the BRA's watch was six years ago, and only 27 units of housing are under construction today in the entire Waterfront and Fort Point.

Infrastructure since 2010? What infrastructure?

The economic collapse shouldn't have an impact on the Globe doing its job.

The Globe article is mischaracterizes progress in the Seaport since 2010. The Seaport is still a parking lot no matter how many times we read it is "burgeoning with development" and people chalk that off to manufacturing good buzz.

How about this quote:

"The Innovation District has created 3000 new jobs and 100 companies."

Where are those 3,000 new jobs?

I simply think The Boston Globe should do some fact checking.

If you want to call the process "messy" to explain those quotes away, that's fine. I can't understand how people think it's fine for The Boston Globe to publish press releases instead of hiring reporters to do some homework.

Last edited:

^whighlander

I took issue with the following quote published by The Boston Globe and posted in this thread:

"Much of the development started after a 2010 mandate from Boston Mayor Tom Menino to develop 1000 acres of waterfront property as a platform of entrepreneurship focused on 3 initiatives – jobs, housing, and infrastructure."

Much of what development since 2010? Two Vertex towers? In 15 years there is 1 tower and 2 under way in the Seaport.

Housing since 2010? The last housing built under the BRA's watch was six years ago, and only 27 units of housing are under construction today in the entire Waterfront and Fort Point.

Infrastructure since 2010? What infrastructure?

The economic collapse shouldn't have an impact on the Globe doing its job.

The Globe article is mischaracterizes progress in the Seaport since 2010. The Seaport is still a parking lot no matter how many times we read it is "burgeoning with development" and people chalk that off to manufacturing good buzz.

How about this quote:

"The Innovation District has created 3000 new jobs and 100 companies."

Where are those 3,000 new jobs?

I simply think The Boston Globe should do some fact checking.

If you want to call the process "messy" to explain those quotes away, that's fine. I can't understand how people think it's fine for The Boston Globe to publish press releases instead of hiring reporters to do some homework.

Sicil -- not by any means to want to defend the Globe -- but I've seen numbers of 2,700 and such from several independent sources -- so I don't think 3,000 is much beyond a rounding error from 2,700 and it probably depends on the definition of the time window and possibly the district, etc.

And - I know that you don't want to include what is done by Massport and the Commowealth in the district - but this is one not-quite integrated district, as Scott Kirsner has opined in the Globe: -- and I do think he does his own homework as he mentions in his Blog [full disclosure I know Scott and while I disagree with some of his assessments and conclusions -- he is the best that there is at the Globe in convering the Knowledge Economy]

Anyway -- here's some recent stuff from his Blog that is relevant to our discussion:
http://www.boston.com/business/technology/innoeco/2012/02/the_innovation_districts_four.html

Site visit: Headquarters Boston, new shared space for making stuff Posted by Scott Kirsner March 1, 2012 07:43 AM

By Scott Kirsner, Globe Columnist
I've been curious to check out Headquarters Boston, a new shared space in Boston's Marine Industrial Park geared to companies, non-profits, and artists that make and fix stuff. The anchor tenant, Geekhouse Bikes, just moved into the space in mid-February, and founder Marty Walsh (pictured at right) invited me to stop by yesterday.

Walsh started Geekhouse, which custom-crafts steel bikes, in 2002. The company had been operating out of 1,000 square feet in Allston, but Walsh had a vision of a larger space that could also house other makers and artists who didn't mind the smell of welding fumes. HQ Boston is 24,000 square feet, and the rent is about $10 per square foot. He calls it a "co-working space for artisans and creatives."

Already, Walsh says he has found tenants for half of the space, including visual artists, sculptors, a cabinetmaker, and the maintenance operation of Hubway, the Boston bike sharing network. "The concept is that it's hard for product makers to find a place where they can freely do their thing, whether it's making musical instruments or snowboards or furniture," he says....

Entrepreneurship
Bolt, new accelerator program for start-ups designing physical products, looking to put down roots in Boston
Link | Comments (1) Posted by Scott Kirsner February 17, 2012 04:00 PM

Boston has been home to two major "accelerator" program so far: TechStars Boston and Y Combinator. And both of them have focused almost exclusively on start-ups developing Web sites, mobile apps, and software-as-a-service offerings. (Y Combinator, of course, now operates exclusively in Silicon Valley.)

pic-einstein.jpgBen Einstein wants to change that. He's out raising money and laying the groundwork for a new accelerator program, Bolt, that would focus exclusively on entrepreneurs who want to design physical products. Einstein, previously a principal at the product design consultancy Brainstream, moved from Northampton to Boston last month to make Bolt a reality.

Einstein says that Bolt will focus on "connected devices," including consumer electronics and robotics, but avoid medical devices and other products that would require extensive, blank-sheet-of-paper engineering. "We're thinking mostly about off-the-shelf components being combined in new ways, where you might have a new device that works with a web service, or plugs into a mobile phone," he says. Bolt's offices will include useful tools that the chosen entrepreneurs will have access to, such as drill presses, band saws, 3-D printers, PCB prototyping equipment, and CNC milling machines....

Regional Economy
The Innovation District's Four Neighborhoods
Link | Comments (7) Posted by Scott Kirsner February 13, 2012 11:39 AM

I've been thinking lately that Boston's Innovation District is really composed of four distinct neighborhoods, when it comes to clusters of innovation-related companies. So I created the Google map below.

You have to squint really hard to ignore all of the great financial services, fishing, and brewing activity that takes place in the district. It's also home to Au Bon Pain's headquarters, a working dry dock, the Boston Convention and Expo Center, and a couple of vast parking lots.

It's not yet easy or enjoyable enough to walk between the four neighborhoods, and because they're so spread out I suspect there isn't much interchange between people who work in, say, Fort Point and the Marine Industrial Park. The MBTA's Silver Line connects two of the neighborhoods — Fan Pier, where the MassChallenge building is located, and the Marine Industrial Park — but the other two are a decent walk from Silver or Red Line stops. Hopefully, as the district grows up, there will be more connectivity between these four pockets of activity.

My four-subzones are:
Fort Point Channel. The oldest and most neighborhood-y of the four zones. Still home to working artists, as well as hang-outs like Lucky's, Flour Bakery, and Papagayo. This area has the highest density of innovation-related tenants, including electronics recycler Gazelle, Greentown Labs, Skyhook, and, later this year, the digital agency Allen & Gerritsen. The district's lone venture capital firm, OpenView Venture Partners, throws great parties on their roofdeck during the warm months.

- Channel Center. To distinguish this new development along A Street from Fort Point Channel, I prefer to call it "Flash Sale Alley," since it's where the luxe online retailer Rue La La is based. A 60-person R&D lab, the Fraunhofer Center for Sustainable Energy Systems, is moving in later in 2012. (The Rodney Brooks start-up Heartland Robotics is not quite in Channel Center, and not quite in Fort Point Channel. I'm hoping they can attract at least one more robotics company to Wormwood Street so we can call it Robotics Row.)

- Fan Pier. The first office tower at Fan Pier, One Marina Park Drive, houses more than 100 small start-ups; the building's owner donates a full floor to the MassChallenge competition. (As it fills up with paying tenants, MassChallenge could be squeezed out.) But Vertex Pharmaceuticals is building its new headquarters next door. It's the first major drug company to move from Cambridge to Boston, and about 1,500 people will work in the pair of 18-story buildings. Maybe we'll soon call it "Pharma Pier"...

- Marine Industrial Park. Filling up with companies that design new organisms, mosaic-making robots, and energy storage systems. Everyone bumps into one another at the Au Bon Pain on the first floor. The complex has less to do with the marine world than it once did, but the cinder-block-walls still make the place feel pretty industrial.

Menino to court Google for Boston's Innovation District

Boston Business Journal by Thomas Grillo, Real Estate Editor
Date: Friday, March 2, 2012, 2:48pm EST

Business Journal photo by Thomas Grillo

Mayor Thomas M.Menino at the launch of MassChallenge 2012.

Mayor Thomas Menino said the South Boston Innovation District is the perfect location for Google Inc.'s (Nasdaq: GOOG) expansion.

“I invite Google to come to Boston,” Menino told the Boston Business Journal yesterday following the launch of MassChallenge 2012. “I will be on the phone to them Friday morning, first thing.”

Menino was responding to a question about Boston Properties' (NYSE: BXP) plan for a new building on behalf of its tenant, Google, which would add 25,000 square feet of office space between two buildings at Four and Five Cambridge Center. The real estate company has proposed a connector building, according to a letter from Michael Cantalupa, BP’s senior vice president, to Cambridge City Manager Robert Healy. Cantalupa makes clear that without the city’s approval, Google may have to look elsewhere.

“The ability to expand into Four Cambridge Center and connect Google’s leased premises in the three buildings is an essential component of Google’s campus plan, without which Google has indicated that it will have to look elsewhere to meet its space needs,” the letter said.

In an emailed statement, a Google spokesman declined to comment on the mayor’s suggestion. “There’s a strong pipeline of talent in the Boston area which has fueled our growth in the region for nearly a decade. We look forward to continue working with the community and the city as we grow our presence.”

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/news/2012/03/02/google-cambridge.html

It would serve Cambridge right, for listening to the green space crowd.

I expect Cambridge and Google (and Boston Properties) to work something out shortly. The 'green space crowd' were correct in objecting to sudden and unexpected abrogation of a long-standing development agreement.

Back