Seaport Neighborhood - Infill and Discussion

Re: Innovation Dist. / South Boston Seaport

Correct.
Of course A Street to Columbia to Morrissey can work pretty well too, as long as rotaries don't scare you.

The tunnel to 93 was always surprisingly empty(ish), and has it's own HOV to bypass a lot of the merging traffic on 93 south.....

If you're crossing the bridges into Boston to get to or leave work, that just doesn't seem smart to me.

You either don't know about these other methods of getting onto the highway, or you are driving locally, and again then it's your fault for ignoring your alternative modes of transit.

We've been looking for this map for ages. Thanks so much.

Not a problem! Its "conveniently" located deep in the Massport website. Although it doesn't take precedents over the FAA overlay, its a terrific tool to predict future building heights.

Waterside Place residential development officially opens

On Thursday a slew of elected officials and well-wishers turned out to snip the ribbon on Waterside Place, a 20-story mixed-use development at 505 Congress St., just a stone’s throw from the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center.

The new 350,000-square-foot, $122-million development, led by The Drew Company, contains 236 rental units, a 7,000-square-foot Innovation Center, and 10,000-square-feet of retail space.

The building’s first residents are expected to move in this Saturday and the developers are in the final phases of securing tenants for the retail space. Nearly 12 percent of the building’s residential units have been leased.

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news...ibbon_cut_on_waterside_place_development.html

Only 12% of the units are leased? I know nothing of this stuff, but that number seems a bit low for occupancy at opening.

12351938443_2917d78041_b.jpg

Beautiful shot! Is that from near Parker and Hillside Streets?

That's absolutely lovely.

I think it's from Puddingstone Park.

Edit: Maybe not. IIRC, you can't see the SBW from there, only the Back Bay and Longwood Med Area.

Dshoost has to be close.

Last edited:

Dshoost has it...it's Parker Hill Ave, just in front of the Baptist hospital.

very Scandinavian-looking. Both good and bad (but the shot is great).

Excellent. Don't know what the saturation point for "innovation spaces" would be but hopefully it's a long way off. Also, it seems this kind of cross-pollination between Cambridge and Boston can only be a win-win for everyone.

I think it is great news and I hope it is the death knell for the "Innovation District" branding.

The city has some ability use branding, zoning, and tax breaks to shape neighborhoods. However, this ridiculous "innovation" branding has failed and needs to be put to bed. Every area of Boston is a great place for innovative companies, but they are going to find their own spots not be herded into Menino's designated playpen.

I keep hearing overblown notions that Dudley will be the next hot spot. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. The city has proven once that they can spend a lot of money and still miss on the desired outcome. Hopefully any money invested in Dudley will be for things that benefit the neighborhood even if the startups never show up.

Com'on can we give the Rif some credit

"We’re really interested in what’s becoming this corridor of innovation that’s running from Cambridge to Boston along the Red Line,” said Dacey. “Increasingly, companies have moved along this corridor.”

Mayor Menino and the BRA are fucking idiots. Innovation District along the Silver line Bus will be the future. And the amount of tax incentives should have been invested into a better MBTA foundation for that area.

Nah.......Its going to be Kendall-- downtown-Greenway--The Future Innovation areas.

This kind of shows that the "Innovation District" is moving large corporations in and therefore clearing up other places to be real innovation districts (DTX, FiDi). I think we get confusing names out of the whole deal, but also decent developments and a better city.

Apartments in the 'Outfield' — Minor-league team wants residences at ballpark

Apartments in the 'Outfield' — Minor-league team wants residences at ballpark
David Brown By David Brown
20 hours ago
Big League Stew
Lansing Lugnuts Outfield Apartment Project

One of the reasons fans love Wrigley Field is because it appears to have been dropped into an otherwise typical neighborhood on the North Side of Chicago. The rooftop apartments beyond the ivy-covered bleachers add character and charm to the ballpark setting. Chicago Cubs ownership should have purchased those properties along Waveland and Sheffield avenues long ago. Too bad for them.

The Lansing (Mich.) Lugnuts and the city that owns their ballpark want to take a page from Wrigley's book and construct perhaps 100 apartments literally inside of the stadium. By way of a $22 million project split down the middle with public and private funds, the Midwest League's Class A club for the Toronto Blue Jays and the city seek to expand and upgrade Cooley Law School Stadium in downtown Lansing, the state capital. The plan, called the "Outfield," would be part of a bigger plan to upgrade parts of downtown as a whole. The stadium itself was opened in 1996 and needs upgrading regardless, ownership says. Major league star Carlos Beltran played there when the Lugnuts franchise belonged to the Kansas City Royals.

If the city council approves, the project would be done around the next two off-seasons and be completed by the opening of the 2016 season, the Lansing State Journal reports. It's really a neat idea that Lugnuts owner Tom Dickson has brought forth. Other than Wrigley, the closest thing in the majors might be the B&O Warehouse at Camden Yards.

Have you ever wanted to live in a ballpark

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-b...nts-add-residences-to-ballpark-193608092.html

This would have been better for the Seaport District. Like I said Fenway Park similar to a Chicago Cubs apartments buildings

Instead Mayor Menino basically enrich his developer pals in the Seaport with unlimited Taxpayers money.

^Happy st. Patrick's day everybody! Drink up!

Rif, I'm cross posting that into a new thread. I don't think we need a stadium in the seaport, but it is an interesting idea.

Other than perhaps for marketing purposes, the South Boston Innovation Waterfront Exposition Convention Trade Center District will always be the Seaport to anyone who's referencing it. Other than in jest, I've never heard it called anything but by the general population. What does amaze me that stuck is the "design center". Although it probably helps that they actually filled the old army base with designers.

Last edited:

Why would anyone want to live in a ballpark? Cold, damp and it probably smells like piss.

Its too early to DRINK, but I will anyway.

Back