Seaport Neighborhood - Infill and Discussion

As someone that grew up in South Florida before moving to Boston 13 years ago, I actually relate to that assertion about that entire stretch of beach from Carson to M Street Beach. On a hot summer weekend, the packed beaches and their still waters are definitely mistakable for Miami or other South Florida Beaches.
Yea M street beach in the summer is a scene, everyone is under 35, there's zero families and its generally people that work out 5 times a week. Still waters I don't get- east coast Florida always had moderate waves whenever I was there. Only waves in southie are during a Noreaster

I was lucky enough to get to see the top floor of One Financial yesterday, crazy views up there! Anyone who worked up there would've seen Seaport's transformation

IMG_20201118_151609.jpg

I was looking through a box of old 35mm photos and thought this one was interesting. July 1995. Seaport Hotel standing all by its lonesome. This was the very first "tower" to go up in the Seaport, 25 years ago. Some unfortunate artifacting on the left side of the photo, but hey, it's 35mm, what can you do.

20201207_214922 by Mike Poole, on Flickr

That's a nice design, but I'm pretty sure that's the BGI Office/401 Congress project designed by Sasaki following the Massport RFP.
That is the 401 Congress site. Love the way that KPF design incorporated Exit 25 of the Pike...

Wow, that's much more pleasant than the current proposal, which I quite liked when I first saw it. The design changes Sasaki made have slowly dulled the big gesture they seemed to be going for. And perhaps an outward-leaning facade is too threatening...

This is nicer at an urban-human scale with the two towers and gateway between.

BioMed Realty has purchased the former John Hancock / Manulife building at 601 Congress St and plans to convert it into a lab building.

I'd love to see this plus whatever goes up on Massport Parcel H work together to make SL under D a reality, and turn Silver Line Way into a real station (possibly with a renaming to "Harborside").

updated list. please offer any corrections or updates...

complete / near-complete:

- The Benjamin & VIA (née One Seaport Square) | Parcels B-C@Seaport Sq.
- 50 Liberty @ Fan Pier | 50 Liberty Drive
- 121 Seaport Boulevard | Parcel L2
- 10 Farnsworth Street [technically Fort Point]
- Pier 4 Office Tower | 140 Northern Ave
- Pier 4 Condo Building (Former Anthony's site) - Seaport Parcels M1-M2 | Seaport Sq.
- Stillings Garage Expansion | 22 Boston Wharf Rd [technically Fort Point]
- Martin's Park | Children's Wharf [technically Fort Point]
- NEMA Boston | 399 Congress St.
- SBWTC /South Boston Waterfront Transportation Center
- Gables Seaport (née Waterside Place 1B) | 505 Congress Street
- Hyatt Place/Ora Seaport (née Parcel K) | 315 Northern Avenue
- Parcel Q1 | 10 Drydock Ave.
- General Electric HQ (Necco Buildings Reno) | 5 Necco Street [technically Fort Point]
- Echelon Seaport | 133-135 Seaport Blvd
- Cannistrano | 25 Fid Kennedy
- Marine Wharf (Hampton Inn and Homewood Suites) | 660 Summer St
- Omni Hotel @ BCEC | Summer St
- Marine Industrial Park Parcel 6 | 10 Codfish Way | Boston Sword & Tuna

under construction:

- Innovation Square (iSQ) | 6 Tide St.
- The St Regis Residences (former Whiskey Priest site) | 150 Seaport Blvd | Seaport
- MassMutual | 10 Fan Pier Blvd | Fan Pier Parcel E | Seaport
- Amazon Office Tower | 111 Harbor Way | Seaport Square Parcel L4
- Seaport Sq. Blocks N & P | 350 & 400 Summer Street | Seaport
- Commonwealth Pier Revitalization (née Seaport WTC)| 200 Seaport Boulevard | Seaport

approved, with potential 2021 starts:

- 88 Seaport Blvd | Seaport Square Parcel D
- BGI Office Tower (Massport Parcel A2) | 401 Congress Street
- South Boston Innovation Campus | 2 Harbor Street | Seaport

proposed:

- 15 Necco Street [technically Fort Point]
- Parcel L1 | 24 Drydock Ave
- Marine Industrial Park Parcel 5 | 5 Fid Kennedy (Stavis Seafood)
- Marine Industrial Park Parcel M | 3 Dolphin Way (Foodmart)
- Mixed Use | Wharf 8 & Pier 7
- 88 Black Falcon Avenue | Seaport
- Amazon Office II | 1 Boston Wharf Rd. (Seaport Square Parcel L5) | Seaport
- Massport Parcel H | Congress Street | Seaport

hopefully proposed soon:

- Fan Pier Parcel H
- Seaport Square Parcel F (the last undeveloped section)
- Seaport Square Parcel G
- Massport Parcel D1
- Massport Parcel D3
- Marine Industrial Park Parcel V1
- Marine Industrial Park Parcel Q
- Marine Industrial Park Parcel U
- Marine Industrial Park Dry Dock 4
- Two-Level Fort Point Lot

65Jvwcu.png

Seaport-Square-map.png

bostonseaportmap.jpg

Mayor-Walsh-BRA-Audit-Non-Revenue-Producing-Land-Parcels.png

1612795767746.png

Last edited:
Great list! One thing missing there is Boston Sword & Tuna, built on Marine Industrial Park Parcel 6. You might also want to include Massport D-3 in the "hopefully proposed soon" section, I believe Massport indicated an interest in future development there around the same time as the Parcel H RFP.

Last edited:
Long time browser of the Forum, 1st post. These are from my jaunt down to the Seaport on Sat afternoon. Taken from my phone, so some aren't so great.

20210206_165744_HDR.jpg

20210206_165440_HDR.jpg

I love the steps down to the water, but I have no idea how this design was approved. The height of the stairs is too high for non able bodied adults, and there is no access for those who use wheelchairs. Right before I took this pic, an older woman struggled mightily to walk up. I don't consider myself "short" at 5'9", but even I have to take pretty big steps to get up/down.
20210206_170243_HDR.jpg

20210206_171055_HDR.jpg

20210206_171243_HDR.jpg

20210206_170759_HDR.jpg

View of the 1st cut-out section
20210206_171740_HDR.jpg

20210206_172058_HDR.jpg

View attachment 10204
20210206_172127_HDR.jpg

View attachment 10205
20210206_172604_HDR.jpg

View attachment 10206