Seaport Square (Formerly McCourt Seaport Parcels)

Can you elaborate on that? This part of Seaport Blvd by Seaport Square isn't industrial at all. Why shouldn't every 18 wheeler from the industrial or port facilities further down either hop on/off from 90 or use the bypass road to tie into 93?
A lot of the trucks comming out of the Marine Industrial Park motor down Northern Ave/Seaport Blvd over the Moakley into the N I93 tunnel.

I don't like lefthand bike lanes. They are very unnerving. However, with only one lane of traffic, getting in and out may be more tolerable. The bike lane on Comm seems designed to institutionalize double parking and fuck the cyclists.

I know dooring is a problem and double parking is a problem, but left hand bike lane is a shitty solution to those underlying problems.

A lot of the trucks comming out of the Marine Industrial Park motor down Northern Ave/Seaport Blvd over the Moakley into the N I93 tunnel.

Right. They don't need to, however. The bypass is there for a reason...

Right. They don't need to, however. The bypass is there for a reason...

I agree, but they take the shorter and more direct route (through the Seaport district) into the tunnel and onto I93 North. Now a days a lot of the construction related trucks (hauling dirt) are doing the same thing.

They take that "short" route because there are wide lanes and it's truck-friendly. I suggest we make the street people-friendly and let the trucks take the actual truck route...

They take that "short" route because there are wide lanes and it's truck-friendly. I suggest we make the street people-friendly and let the trucks take the actual truck route...

Agreed. Force the trucks to use the truck route. The mockup above would be amazing.

I like it its like a commonwealth ave by the sea.

+1

As an homage to Comm Ave's theme of 1 bronze statue of some important Bostonian per block, perhaps each block could have a statue of some of Boston's most famous innovators, both historic and recent-- scientific, legal, financial, etc.

Can I get a fact check?

Do "big" trucks actually use Seaport Blvd and do they actually use the Tunnel? I don't see that many in the Seaport. Just yesterday I noticed a couple driving down D Street toward the 93 S / N entrance but don't often see them (other than construction) on the roads.

And, are trucks this size allowed in the Tunnel?

(Serious question, not being naive.)

Can I get a fact check?

Do "big" trucks actually use Seaport Blvd and do they actually use the Tunnel? I don't see that many in the Seaport. Just yesterday I noticed a couple driving down D Street toward the 93 S / N entrance but don't often see them (other than construction) on the roads.

John -- the only restriction on trucks in either the Ted Williams or O'Neil tunnels is the nature of the cargo -- no tunnel will let in large vehicles carrying flammable gases, liquids or explosives

The key is what constitutes a dangerous size load -- Obviously, if you are a plumber with a small propane tank -- that's not an issue -- what about if you are a metro van carrying a dozen home-Barbeque-size cylinders?

Can I get a fact check?

John, as someone who resides in the Seaport, yes there are hundreds of trucks per day. Believe me, they are rolling through at all times of day and overnight. They fly down Seaport Blvd overnight when there is no traffic.

The city could easily ban trucks from this road and make it a non dcr parkway

The city could easily ban trucks from this road and make it a non dcr parkway

FK4 -- Have you looked at it with Google Maps -- Seaport Blvd. is the most direct route to Downtown Boston and Cambridge for trucks from Legal Seafood, Harpoon Brewery, John Nagle Co. [wholesale sea food] as well as the Fish Pier

Seaport Blvd., also provides truck access to the Wold trade Center and the Seaport Hotel

John, as someone who resides in the Seaport, yes there are hundreds of trucks per day. Believe me, they are rolling through at all times of day and overnight. They fly down Seaport Blvd overnight when there is no traffic.

Then BTD should do its fucking job for a change. This is not something the design of Seaport Blvd. needs to accommodate in any way, shape, or form. Trucks not serving businesses located directly on the streets of the Seaport are directed to use the Haul Road. Anything originating from the WTC should either be banging a left on W. Service Rd. or going through the rotary next to the Pavilion. If anything is barreling towards the Moakley at a high rate of speed to shortcut to 93, they're doing it wrong and it's Walsh's problem to rein in this city's many-decades rogue traffic enforcement agency instead of letting them invent yet another *wink-wink* look-the-other-way neighborhood "tradition".

Additionally, they can do what Massport does for Conley Terminal and many other major private trucking terminals do: make the trucking companies they contract follow a GPS-tracked route to control the riff-raff. For example, in Worcester you get your trucking company fined if you take a creative shortcut with a big rig out of the CSX intermodal yard instead of proceeding immediately onto I-290; they have the instant paper trail to prove it in the form of that signal ping from the truck's dashboard. Now, that's not going to work for the small food/supplies delivery trucks and whatnot...but if these aren't small trucks and indeed are the big rigs from Marine Terminal, Harpoon warehouse, and the seafood warehouses making a mockery of creative shortcutting...absolutely, those companies can be ordered to ping the 'phone-home' signal to prove they're following the designated truck route. And face the consequences for non-compliance: fines, risk of losing their Massport contracts, sacking the private warehouses like Harpoon with fines for not policing their truck contractors, etc.

No reason it can't be done here when it's already done in this state on both the public and private sides of the port/terminal coin. Only more learned helplessness in the face of entrenched BTD corruption prevents them from regulating truck behavior on their own city streets.

They are absolutely trucks from all of the above. They go down to the rotary and cut down to L street. I think it will become more of a noticeable problem when more housing comes online and there are more pedestrians everyday

I still believe we need a liberty mutual esque tower or two in here as a bridge between the glass towers and the old brick.

I still believe we need a liberty mutual esque tower or two in here as a bridge between the glass towers and the old brick.

For a second, I thought you were talking about a literal bridge, referring to the Liberty Mutual addition, not the building itself as a bridge in design.

There's hope yet - the parcels on either side of District Hall have yet to be designed, right?

For a second, I thought you were talking about a literal bridge, referring to the Liberty Mutual addition, not the building itself as a bridge in design.

There's hope yet - the parcels on either side of District Hall have yet to be designed, right?

Liberty mutual Northern ave bridge tower lol. Really though NY with 30 park place and whatever those ones by central park are called, liberty mutual, and a couple in Chicago are really showing that just because the 20's are over it does not mean "art deco" or whatever the modern iteration is called cant be revived in a modern form.

I see this area as the glass is half full and I look forward to the proposed projects thus far. I think a couple Liberty Mutual towers will give the neighborhood some of that "soul" most naysayers say the area lacks... Which in a way it does its a blank canvas. The brick of fort point area is a gem, and we are getting some beautiful glass soon, I think getting some of the flavor of times past to mix it up would be great. I think the soul people refer to is where you see all of the different architectual periods built aling side one another. As a blank canvas you tend to build a lot of what is in style at the moment. I think some 20s replica with maybe even some setbacks would be that piece. Downtown even has some very short art deco towers to draw inspiration from.

Back