Seaport Square (Formerly McCourt Seaport Parcels)

I didnt mean the roads are too wide. I meant the way it was planned with extremely wide sidewalks and a huge median made it feel like a cavern. Lol idk what it is but whenever I post people take it the wrong way every time and then it becomes 2 pages of back and forth. I think its time to go back to what i used to do almost the whole time Ive posted here which is only break new developments and finding/posting renders that have not been seen yet and staying out of the rest of the discussion.

On this topic, highly recommend this post:

http://amateurplanner.blogspot.com/2016/02/there-has-been-lot-of-discussion-in.html

it compares street-wall to street-wall widths for several streets / roads in Boston....including seaport blvd.

Only a fucking moron couldn't see this coming. This is what the SEAPORT FAILURE WILL BE in 10-20 Years: traffic nightmare

Thank Menino and the BRA for their Short-minded thinking.
Instead of investing into future infrastructure to make the area accessible and let development progress naturally.
They just continue to flush these Developments with Tax Incentives taking away Natural progression. BUILD, BUILD, BUILD.
Then all the projects became a Commercial Flip.
Instead of building for Quality of the area it was build em and flip em.

We need flying cars.

We need better public transportation and congestion pricing for people who insist on driving into the city, especially during rush hour.

Since the run is so short, couldn't the Silverline become a true airport tram like at DFW and move bodies to the Seaport?

If we were to do congestion charging, which is a good idea, it needs to be a regional effort across parts of Suffolk, Middlesex and Norfolk counties. Otherwise the zone will be too easy to evade.

In my own experience of living in the neighborhood, the destruction of the seaport lots has seemed to ease congestion, putting aside big rigs carrying steel and other development kit, which tends to exacerbate it. Plus it used to be relatively cheap to park in the old lots. It's much pricer to park in the seaport now.

The seaport has one of the fastest escape routes in the city, and yet drivers choose to sit in traffic on Seaport Blvd. B Street puts you on exit 25 of the Westbound Pike, which gives you the option of 93 north or south. It's even signed as such with massive signs. The traffic disaster down there is entirely self created.

^ Yeah, this too. One of the problems is that you can't take that way into the seaport from the north in the morning, because no ramp from 93s to 90e. I think a lot of people use seaport Blvd in the pm because they used it in the am. Fwiw it's similar to a problem that happens in evacuations of planes theaters etc...'please note that the closest exit may be located behind you....'

Well, there isn't any rule stating that trucks need the most efficient route... They are a nuisance and dangerous. Obviously this doesn't detract from their necessity but there's no reason I can see to make an alternate route a truck route and ban them from the boulevard.

FK -- This is the kind of statement that makes one wonder - - have you ever been down on Seaport Blve., at say the World Trade Center

The Building -- the former Commonwealth Pier is both an Office Building complex at the level of the World Trade Center Ave. and on the Seaport Blve. level its an Exhibition Hall where some thousands of people may spend time looking at hundreds of exhibits. If 18 wheelers don't drive down Seaport Blve. -- how do they get those exhinition booths to the floor level of the building?

Features & Specs
118,800 sq. ft.of Exhibit Space
Four 80 ft. x 30 ft. Loading Docks
Drive-In Access to the Hall
Electrical Outlets: 110 and 220 Volts
Lighting: 75 ft. Candles
Columns: 40 ft./40 ft./40 ft. on Center
Water, Phone, Compressed Air and Drains
http://www.seaportboston.com/meetings-events/exhibits-tradeshows.aspx

FK -- This is the kind of statement that makes one wonder - - have you ever been down on Seaport Blve., at say the World Trade Center

The Building -- the former Commonwealth Pier is both an Office Building complex at the level of the World Trade Center Ave. and on the Seaport Blve. level its an Exhibition Hall where some thousands of people may spend time looking at hundreds of exhibits. If 18 wheelers don't drive down Seaport Blve. -- how do they get those exhinition booths to the floor level of the building?

http://www.seaportboston.com/meetings-events/exhibits-tradeshows.aspx

Not all trucks driving thru the Seaport are going to the WTC & BCEC. Obviously the trucks that are going to those destinations & businesses around need to use the local roads to some degree, but the others don't necessarily need to.

Back to the Seaport Square

Like any "Quaint New England Village" -- the Seaport / Innovation District now has a Common, a War Memorial, a Church, and a Town Hall [District Hall] -- I think you need to now consider it to be a neighborhood -- if still in its todler stage of development

The seaport has one of the fastest escape routes in the city, and yet drivers choose to sit in traffic on Seaport Blvd. B Street puts you on exit 25 of the Westbound Pike, which gives you the option of 93 north or south. It's even signed as such with massive signs. The traffic disaster down there is entirely self created.

As a resident who happens to work at One IP in an office facing Seaport Blvd., it blows my mind that people sit in traffic on three different bridges to get on highways they can access in the Seaport. I don't understand.

As a resident who happens to work at One IP in an office facing Seaport Blvd., it blows my mind that people sit in traffic on three different bridges to get on highways they can access in the Seaport. I don't understand.

Fort Point Guy -- that's why the street network in the Seaport area has to be improved:
  • Northern Ave Bridge -- one way for auto traffic depending on time of day -- at least 3 lanes
  • Re-open Dorchester Ave. all the way to Atlantic
  • a major cross street connecting Seaport Blvd with Dorchester Ave.
  • - Dig the Silver Line under D Street to an underground Silver Line Way station
    doesn't do too much for the street grid -- but it vastly improves the transport to/from the district by enabling all electric round trip buses with no traffic delays
    bonus is it allows a major air rights sight development

Fort Point Guy -- that's why the street network in the Seaport area has to be improved:
  • Northern Ave Bridge -- one way for auto traffic depending on time of day -- at least 3 lanes
  • Re-open Dorchester Ave. all the way to Atlantic
  • a major cross street connecting Seaport Blvd with Dorchester Ave.
  • - Dig the Silver Line under D Street to an underground Silver Line Way station
    doesn't do too much for the street grid -- but it vastly improves the transport to/from the district by enabling all electric round trip buses with no traffic delays
    bonus is it allows a major air rights sight development

Nope - more roads begets more cars begets more congestion begets the detriment of the urban realm for all people and all other modes. No thanks.

D Street can be achieved by simple light priority re-sequencing, all other vehicular traffic be damned. Come back to us about D Street Silver Line tunnel when we've knocked down the MBTA maintenance backlog or if MCCA and Massport want to 'donate' some money to achieve grade separation on their own. They're the ones running an operating profit. BTD is too afraid to upset anyone, so the best we'll get is 30 sec wait even with priority...

Anyway, let's resolve to carry the rest of this over to the Seaport transport conversation; a lot of this has been discussed ad nauseam, especially for us who participated in the Waterfront Transportation Study process [PDF].

---

I have some area pics from Friday:

Some of these spaces are starting to fill in and feel much less vacuous

Finally got to the 14th Floor observation deck at Independence Wharf/470 Atlantic Ave

29739681473_049048cfc9_b.jpg

30285271741_bef915392e_b.jpg

30285268051_ea184f8b84_b.jpg

30254871022_0e78e228e7_b.jpg

30336309166_a97a33a8e1_b.jpg

30371542515_0f93ca1002_b.jpg

30371539715_b51e97fbbe_b.jpg

I'm so underwhelmed (I've walked by it several times) by this tidal pool structure, I guess you have to hit it just right to see anything interesting going on. It's also a place where trash collects.

I'm so underwhelmed (I've walked by it several times) by this tidal pool structure, I guess you have to hit it just right to see anything interesting going on. It's also a place where trash collects.

I have to agree. I walked by Saturday afternoon and was completely unimpressed. And yes, it really attracts trash.

Back