Seaport Square (Formerly McCourt Seaport Parcels)

I was talking with my friends yesterday about this. What does ESPN stand for?

Entertainment and Sports Programming Network, but that's out-of-date since it is now purely sports.

Judging by their website, I would say the title is still very up-to-date.

The interesting piece about an ESPN Zone anywhere in Boston is that CBS Scene (I think that's what it's called) is moving in down in Foxborough soon. I wonder if that was what finally convinced ESPN it had ignored this market too long. Frankly, the CBS thing sounds like a cooler idea, but it doesn't have games as far as I can tell.

On a related note, how long does Boston have to wait for a Dave and Buster's?

What kind of video is this that it only works on windows?

Obviously not too tech saavy. Maybe someone can post it for us poor mac folks.

Did one of the presentations explicitly say that Gale had lined up an ESPNZone, or was it just in one of the renders? The retail shown in renderings is often just for demonstrative purposes and doesn't reflect the reality about current tenants/agreements/negotiations. I'd be somewhat surprised if Gale has already signed retail contracts, since they haven't revealed their final designs or gotten approval on them yet.

On a related note, how long does Boston have to wait for a Dave and Buster's?

Dear christ, what is it with the enthusiasm for these places? It is possible to have fun without reproducing the theme restaurant circus that comprises the "nightlife" of Houston or Atlanta.

And it is possible to have fun at a restaurant that exists at more than one location. I swear, you'd love D&B's if it only had the Providence location.

Capitalism says that if you have a good idea you can spread it around and give as many people as access to it as possible. It annoys me so much that people around here reject good things just because they're successful enough to be in more than one place.

I'd like to see a Dave and Buster's somewhere..maybe even at Cambridgeside.. I went to teh Charlie Horse in Bridgewater the other night and had a good time.

I guess I assumed the ESPNZone would be in Waterside Place, not Seafood Square.

Dear christ, what is it with the enthusiasm for these places? It is possible to have fun without reproducing the theme restaurant circus that comprises the "nightlife" of Houston or Atlanta.

Dave & Buster's does indeed make the Baby Jesus cry. I spent several years living in Rhode Island's East Bay, and still spend many fun nights in Providence. I've been dragged to this "event restaurant" too may times -- all I have to say is, drunk conventioneers playing Dance Dance Revolution.

Please pass the cyanide.

The food's better at charlie horse. D&B's food is terrible and the drinks are overpriced (but not to the extent they are at, oh say, GAME ON!). That being said, D&B is a good time if you're under 21. Boston wouldn't do badly to have one, but ESPN Zone would be much more fun.

I hate the location in Providence though, I don't know why people like it. It's wedged into the 4th floor of the Mall, and after the mall closes, it feels like a ghost town taking the elevators or stairs to the garage. Might as well be in Siberia. It would be better in an area full of bars that way you could get your cheap drinks elsewhere before you shell out 25 dollars (plus the 2 dollar power play) for a game card.

The food's better at charlie horse. D&B's food is terrible and the drinks are overpriced (but not to the extent they are at, oh say, GAME ON!). That being said, D&B is a good time if you're under 21. Boston wouldn't do badly to have one, but ESPN Zone would be much more fun.

I hate the location in Providence though, I don't know why people like it. It's wedged into the 4th floor of the Mall, and after the mall closes, it feels like a ghost town taking the elevators or stairs to the garage. Might as well be in Siberia. It would be better in an area full of bars that way you could get your cheap drinks elsewhere before you shell out 25 dollars (plus the 2 dollar power play) for a game card.

haha, I agree that when the mall closes and you are walking through to get to the garage, it is really creepy..especially with some of the characters lingering around.. But the ESPN Zone is a good time. I've been to the one in Chicago and NYC and the food was good and it was a good atmosphere..

I hear that Eastern Pier II is up for sale, seems the owner also owns all the Super 88 markets and some huge restaurants in Chinatown and wants to get out of the Seaport location. Probably too small for an ESPN Zone though, but what a great location!

Oh man, would Boston do well with an ESPN Zone. I am always surprised they don't have one here, what with us being the Sporting Capitol of the World and all (by the way, would someone please make a SC Titletown entry for Boston?).

Especially if my vision of having a joint Revolution/Cannons stadium in SBW. It would be such a great spot for a young crowd. Ah, the potential here is enormous, if only everyone would stop fighting it. Clubs, Sports Bars, Condos, Hotels, all anchored by a medium sized sport venue, a prolific convention center, and a decently designed "shopping center."

But who am I kidding, it'll never happen.

I'm extremely surprised there isn't an ESPN Zone in Boston since 1., as mentioned before, we are known as a huge sports town and 2. Boston is 2 hours away from ESPN's headquarters. For some reason I'd really like ESPN Zone to make it onto SBW....that and Texas de Brazil.

I'm a bit confused about one argument against ESPN Zone and other chains on the SBW. Maybe it's because I live outside the city and don't have the familiarity with it that most of you do, but isn't this the perfect place for chains to go in Boston? I'm against chains and the fact that they make almost anything generic as much as the next guy, but if they're going to go anywhere in Boston, isn't this the spot?

They're big business, and they can't be avoided (even Nantucket caved a little bit with Stop and Shop), so why not put them in the South Boston Waterfront? It's a massive development, and large chains generally do good business, so they can help to attract people there initially. Places like ESPN Zone and Dave and Buster's (despite what you may feel about them) are attractions in their own right and will draw the crowds to this area better than some upstart local business (despite the fact that it may be 100x better than any chain).

It's better that these autonomous chains replace parking lots in an area of the city deemed by one local athlete as "Siberia," than to fill in in some of already more established areas. I think that this is one place in the city that a big chain could do some real good in terms of making this area a destination for people from outside the area.

i would rather have people who visit boston leave with an impression of what boston really has to offer. throwing a bunch of "chain restaurants" on the waterfront is not a true representation of what boston truly is, and honestly, that is the clientele that these types of establishments will cater to. its like the tourist that goes to new york and spends their time in times square... not even a facsimile of what real new york is like.

when will the city cater to the people that live in it? i am in my 20's, out of college, work downtown, but cant afford to live there. why cant i have a living option that isn't a shared 4 bedroom in allston. and not to knock allston, because i love it and it has far more personality then the waterfront will ever have, but it takes a long time to get downtown.

on the other hand, i would rather have the chains on the waterfront then invading back bay

Back