Seaport Square (Formerly McCourt Seaport Parcels)

Man, you've been missing out if you've never been to an ESPN Zone. Even if it is a tacky themed sports bar. I've never seen so much ESPN branded clothing and gimmicky things in my life. And urinal TVs aren't bad either.

^First off, there's alot of places with TV's in front of the urinals. Second, people are missing out because they dont get to buy ESPN merch? That's just a bad argument.

Besides Sportscenter jumped the shark a long time ago and now is actually a complete negative.

Seaport is doomed. Its not for people from Boston.

It's doomed because there was a rendering of a streetscene that showed an ESPN Zone? I was pretty impressed with what we've seen so far of the Seaport.

ESPN zone will bring in college students. That much is a given, and that much will be needed to kickstart this place. Unfortunately, they will come by car.

i would rather have people who visit boston leave with an impression of what boston really has to offer. throwing a bunch of "chain restaurants" on the waterfront is not a true representation of what boston truly is

What this section of Boston "truly is" is a parking lot. I'll take anything not made of tar at this point

You may want some local mom-and-pop organic grocer, but the people of Boston may want a Trader Joe's. So guess which one will be in the development? You may want a salty old Sully's Pub, but the people of Boston may want an ESPN Zone.

There's still plenty of grit and character in Boston - you just have to leave the city core to find it - and that's a good thing in my opinion.

As architects/designers/artists, there's an elitist air to many of the threads on this board, but the reality is the teaming masses of Boston would be thrilled to have an ESPN Zone, a Trader Joe's, a Best Buy, etc...

The days of new development with tiny streets, mini-blocks and so-called "organic development" are over. Probably forever. Seaport Square should look like 21st Century Boston, not 19th Century Boston. 21st Century Boston is mega-blocks, big-box retail, and national chains. Someday, our great-great grandkids will lament the passing of this trend.

Not all chains are created equal, though. I have few arguments against chain grocers, in a city or anywhere, while chain restaurants are always better off in Burlington than Boston.

^^^True. I think everyone on this board would be more welcoming to a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's in comparison to a Dave & Buster's. This is probably because grocery stores are where you go to pick up things you need, and then leave. People go to bars & restuarants in search for a comfortable social area where they can hang out, have fun, and mingle with other people. Chain bars/restaurants lack the character that local bars/restaurants bring to the table.

ESPN zone will bring in college students. That much is a given, and that much will be needed to kickstart this place. Unfortunately, they will come by car.

By car? Most college students in the city take the T, or at most have a scooter. Only locals at the colleges might have a car, but they lvie at home anyway.

Its the suburban dads and office folk who will take cars

^^ i dunno... as a recent grad, i would beg to differ... lots of college students in boston have cars.

Suffolk, I am well aware of the presence of urinal-TVs at many a bar. Also, my argument is not that ESPN Zone is great, but that it is acceptable and will jumpstart the independent development of other, local sports bars with much more flavor.

By car? Most college students in the city take the T, or at most have a scooter. Only locals at the colleges might have a car, but they lvie at home anyway.

Its the suburban dads and office folk who will take cars

The t meaning the silver line, meaning transfer green>red>silver. I don't think so!!

My point wasn't that ESPN Zone will drive out other businesses, or be a horrible choice for the Seaport but that it was nothing to get excited about. I'm still standing by that statement, I don't think it's anything worth writing home about.

I think they're trying to do with this area what Baltimore has done with their Inner Harbor. IH actually has an ESPN Zone, I went during launch and there must have been about 10,000 people inside and standing in line to get in. They're good draws and tourists especially will flock to it, thus increasing the traffic this area will see. I don't think it's going to draw alone either, I just think the more places that people want to go to in a specific area, the more people it will draw (obviously).

I'm not suggesting either that Seaport Square will turn out as well as Inner Harbor has, we can only hope. IH is a bit touristy, but it's done so nicely that I wouldn't mind if they tried to emulate that a bit here.

If we have to have one of these, why not put it in Downtown Crossing? That area is better located and could use the night-time crowds.

Someday in the next 15 years....and even then, they still have to take.....a bus

The simple fact (which is based on my experience alone) is that if a college student has a car, chances are they will drive.

Chiming in with some green advice for Boston students...buy a bike. Use it. Walk. And if you must drive, use one of those ZipCars. That's what Andrew Ference does.

a1e9c33025_seap.jpg

f357bc975e_seap2.jpg

Now to see if the Barking Crab, staying where it is, improves as a dining experience. James Hook may give it more than a bit of competition for rustic waterfront dining.

$3.5 billion city neighborhood
Developer John Hynes makes Seaport Square plan official
By Scott Van Voorhis
Tuesday, June 3, 2008

A rebuilt Barking Crab will not be part of Seaport Square, a sweeping proposal for millions of square feet of new development near South Boston?s waterfront.

Hub developer John Hynes, who officially filed his Seaport Square proposal yesterday at City Hall, confirmed he has dropped his efforts to lure the harborside seafood eatery into his project.

The proposal failed to win over the eatery?s owners, who have opted to stay in their rustic and colorful perch right on the waterfront.

?The Barking Crab is in a very unique location there,? said George Regan, the restaurant?s spokesman. ?There is only so much waterfront in this city.?

Undaunted, Hynes said he?s now pushing ahead with plans for what would be the largest new development project in Boston history.

The $3.5 billion project would transform 23 acres of surface parking lots across from the J. Joseph Moakley U.S. Courthouse into a new neighborhood of 5,000 residents.

Hynes wants to start work later this year on a first phase of two smaller residential buildings totaling 110 units, with 46,000 square feet of shops and retail on the first two floors. There are also plans to move and rebuild the Our Lady of Good Voyage Chapel on a nearby site.

?Not since the filling of the Back Bay has Boston had an opportuntiy to create a new neighborhood,? Hynes? development team claims in plans filed with the Boston Redevelopment Authority. ?Seaport Square in South Boston will be Boston?s first 21st century neighborhood.?

Hynes hopes to start work on the project?s second phase in 2010.
That includes most of Seaport Square?s 2,500 residential units, 1.4 million square feet of office and lab space, 1.25 million square feet of retail, and a 700-room hotel.

There are also plans for a pair of schools for 2,000 students - a public, pre-K early learning center for 200 students and a private school for another 1,800 children.

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/real_estate/view.bg?articleid=1098277

(George Regan is also the spokesperson for Winn & Cassin and Columbus Center.)

I think they're trying to do with this area what Baltimore has done with their Inner Harbor.

But weren't the Inner Harbor folks just trying to make Quincy Market?

I'd happily give the south boston waterfront to the tourists if we can take back the Faneuil Hall area and put real shops and businesses in.

Back