Seaport Square (Formerly McCourt Seaport Parcels)

But weren't the Inner Harbor folks just trying to make Quincy Market?

And Quincy Market was in turn trying to make Ghirardelli Square. And now San Fran has made Ghirardelli Square into a real urban neighborhood.

So why don't we just skip the whole 'Festival Marketplace' gimmick and build the Seaport as a real urban neighborhood right from the start?

a1e9c33025_seap.jpg

f357bc975e_seap2.jpg

Can't be a real vision of the Seaport - it's lacking the 20 mi wide lanes of traffic.

?Not since the filling of the Back Bay has Boston had an opportuntiy to create a new neighborhood,? Hynes? development team claims in plans filed with the Boston Redevelopment Authority. ?Seaport Square in South Boston will be Boston?s first 21st century neighborhood.?
Not true. The West End was an opportunity to create a new neighborhood. I'm definitely worried that our 21st century neighborhood hasn't learned the lessons from our 20th century one.

I don't know about you all, but I hope to hell we get something as good as those renderings.

Not true. The West End was an opportunity to create a new neighborhood. I'm definitely worried that our 21st century neighborhood hasn't learned the lessons from our 20th century one.

I think a lot of Bostons neighborhoods have a lot of potential in the coming decades. There are a lot of gaps, need for infrastructure improvements, and an all around pedestrian autonomy and unobstructed pathway that can be better improved to connect the city better. We're lucky to have such an opportunity in seaport square AND the other Boston neighborhoods in flux right now. I do hope we get what they advertise but something tells me SOME of the lavished descriptive details are a little over-stated/going to be knocked down as development ensues and the final touches are put on this LONG LASTING construction./

Chiming in with some green advice for Boston students...buy a bike. Use it. Walk. And if you must drive, use one of those ZipCars. That's what Andrew Ference does.

Check. Check. and Check.

That being said...if I could actually afford to have a car and keep it in the city I would probably make use of it.

Thank you, disturbanist. Think of it this way-you're saving the lives of the baby polar bears, fighting American obesity, and supporting a growing section of the American economy.

From Boston Herald Today:

New beer ?garden? sailing to Seaport
Chinese eatery out
By Donna Goodison / Turning the Tables
Friday, July 11, 2008 - Updated 14m ago

E-mail Printable (2) Comments Text size Share (5) Rate
This fall will bring a new Seaport District destination to take in a Patriots [team stats] game or rooftop views of Boston Harbor with a beer and a meal, but not everyone is happy about that.

Cronin Development bought a quarter of an acre on Northern Avenue from Los Angeles Dodgers owner Frank McCourt for $4 million-plus about two years ago. Now owner Jon Cronin is preparing to open his third beer ?garden? at the waterfront perch.

The Atlantic Beer Garden will take the place of the 17-year-old Eastern Pier II Chinese restaurant as the Seaport Bar & Grille?s new neighbor. Cronin hopes to duplicate the success that he?s had with the Boston Beer Garden on East Broadway in South Boston and the newer Brighton Beer Garden.

?It?s just an exciting area to get a foothold in and be a part of,? he said of the Seaport District.

Eastern Pier II had been on the market for about two years.

?It just made sense,? said Cronin, who also owns Sanctuary and MKT in Boston and the Playwright in Southie. ?We?re in the business as well, and why not help them out and put one of our bars down here.?

The Atlantic Beer Garden will be an upscale casual sports lounge and restaurant with a pub grub menu that has a greater emphasis on seafood due to the location, according to Cronin. It will accommodate about 200 people and another 120 more on a new seasonal second-floor roof deck.

?I think we?ll add to the area, because we have a pretty good following in South Boston, and we?ll bring some of those neighborhood people down to the waterfront,? Cronin said.

But Vivien Li, executive director of the Boston Harbor Association, is not too keen on the plans. Li believes the Atlantic Beer Garden would be better-suited for the college student crowds of Allston-Brighton or Cambridge.

?Given the fact that this neighborhood is moving toward a residential neighborhood with development of the Gale property, the Karp property and the Fallon property, this seems a little bit out of place,? Li said. ?The idea of 120 people on the top of a roof deck being able to drink until 2 a.m. in the morning, combined with the 200 people inside, seems a little excessive. This area has not been envisioned to be the place where people come primarily to drink.?

But with those developments still years out in an area now covered with parking lots, the Boston Licensing Board didn?t see a problem. ?The only reason we did approve that is there are no residences around there - that?s the biggest concern because of the noise,? chairman Daniel Pokaski said.

It's not ESPN Zone but at least a step in the right direction.

People who are against this modern, clean, nice, affordable working class bar but froth at the mouth in delight over Barbara Lynch's new luxury lounge complex in the same neighborhood are nothing but elitist scum.

This type of place is exactly what the Seaport needs. Well-run bars are a great addition to a neighborhood and the folks who run the Beergarden have done an excellent job with their management practices and neighborhood relations at their other locations.

If this place was given a pretentious, one-word name like "Liquid" or "Flame" and offered seared Mahi-Mahi with grapefruit confit for $28.99 then I bet this elitist loudmouth would be all kinds of excited. Can't you imagine the quote; "This is truly the world-class Boston waterfront that we are striving for!"

What a horrible disgrace that anybody would ever even consider listening to these elitist rants. This should be a city for all classes of people, not just the rich. A locally-owned and successful restaurant chain has stepped to the plate to put their money into this barren wasteland and some unelected creep who one day determined that she was some kind of bizarro "Lord of the Waterfront" dares to complain?

Pick your battles and take a hike. You can't be against everything all the time and expect anyone to ever take you seriously.

Yikes - how ranty of me. This really hit a nerve!

?Given the fact that this neighborhood is moving toward a residential neighborhood with development of the Gale property, the Karp property and the Fallon property, this seems a little bit out of place,? Li said. ?The idea of 120 people on the top of a roof deck being able to drink until 2 a.m. in the morning, combined with the 200 people inside, seems a little excessive. This area has not been envisioned to be the place where people come primarily to drink.?

Is Vivian Li crazy? Does she realize that the mass of people who will be moving in to this area -- when/if any residential buildings get built -- will probably be vastly younger and less out of touch than she is? Maybe some of them will actually like going out for a drink once or twice a week and being able to do it in their own neighborhood. Wouldn't that be nuts? Of course we all know only vagabond, poverty-stricken hooligans ever go out to drink. Nobody who lives anywhere ever does something like that.

The city's contempt toward younger people (and by that I mean 22-30-year-olds, grown adults who don't need to be treated like preteens) is clear enough. Outside of Allston and some of the Northeastern area, there are really very few "hip" neighborhoods in Boston where young people congregate. Compare that to almost any other city in the country. Or, for that matter, the Byzantine drinking prohibitions. Then the city expresses confusion when for 10 years the population declines.

Does Vivian Li actually have control over what sort of restaurant is allowed to be at this site? Given the depredations of beautiful old buildings in the name of "economic progress" and cheap "luxury" condos and office space across the historic core of the city, I think there are more worthy causes of concern than a (gasp!) bar opening. This is sickeningly stupid.

The Brighton Beer Garden is really nice and gets really crowded. I assume the one there will be bigger and nicer. But its a good thing to go in there. People will go there and bring some life. It's not too yuppie either.

It is absolutely perfect for this site and this neighborhood and great news.

I'm glad the licensing board ignored this crazy person's wide-eyed rants.

I have to give credit to Menino, he has been moving away from the wackos, slowly but surely over the years. Ten years ago, he would have been scared to let his licensing board approve this in the face of her opposition. Ten years ago, he might have even asked for her opinion. Now, I've heard he barely returns her calls.

Is he a great visionary mayor? Far from it, but he's a practical guy who's figured some things out over the past 16 years (speaking in full sentences is yet to be mastered)

Vivian doesn't think bar's are appropriate for residential neighborhoods, but thinks this would be perfect for Allston? Glad to hear she doesn't think anyone lives in Allston. Maybe it's just that she thinks no one who counts lives in Allston.

If there were more bars in neighborhoods: 1) you might meet more of your neighbors; 2) you could walk rather than drive. What's so bad about that.

Vivian doesn't think bar's are appropriate for residential neighborhoods, but thinks this would be perfect for Allston? Glad to hear she doesn't think anyone lives in Allston. Maybe it's just that she thinks no one who counts lives in Allston.

Or maybe she just views Allston as something of a lost cause.

Wow, what a twat. A beer garden is EXACTLY what belongs here given the type of crowd that these new residences will be marketed to.

The problem with her is that she see's the waterfront as her baby and she doesn't want anything she doesn't approve of harming it. She is too blind and full of herself to see that this is a public place and that the public, all levels of society, likes to get their drink on.

Wow, like, the more I think about the words that came out of her mouth just then the more my mind is blown.

^^
Nice anatomically correct descriptive term but maybe anus would be better in her case.

It's been my experience (my personal experience, in fact) that reporters are kind of lazy. They tend to go with who is first in their Rolodexes (Rolodices?).

I often get called by members of the press for comment ... basically because my site comes up on page 1 of Google when you search ... and I don't think the reporters know how to click on to page 2.

My point being, if you need an opposing view about the Seaport District, you're naturally gonna go to the most common denominator.

Well, that sentence made no sense, but you get my point.

On a related note, don't forget the Seaport Square meeting on Monday evening, at the Condon School in South Boston.

If there were more bars in neighborhoods: 1) you might meet more of your neighbors; 2) you could walk rather than drive. What's so bad about that.

It promotes the evil ideas of socializing and being friendly to the planet.

(thats sarcasm)

Back