Seaport Square (Formerly McCourt Seaport Parcels)

Count me in too. I'm a pretty liberal guy, but that whole article is absurd. I'm white as a ghost and can't afford to live there. Market forces dictates the makeup of the Seaport, not a concerted effort to make it whites only. :rolleyes: Glob has really fallen on hard times lately.

Yeah exactly. I don't think there's any (additional) racism going on here beyond the already-existing unequal distribution of income and wealth.

The inequality above is a much larger issue that exists beyond the scope of just The Seaport (or Boston) so I'm not sure why the Globe decided to focus just on The Seaport.

Yeah exactly. I don't think there's any (additional) racism going on here beyond the already-existing unequal distribution of income and wealth.

The inequality above is a much larger issue that exists beyond the scope of just The Seaport (or Boston) so I'm not sure why the Globe decided to focus just on The Seaport.

I think the article made some valuable observations about the impact that the old boys' club of development and construction in Boston (and the US generally) has on racial distribution of wealth. Unfortunately, it also chose a really, really offensive approach to judging "racism" of the project.

VAN ---Lock this thread up. I don't want to hear this garbage.

This site is about architecture not racism.

Where is the push back for the hit piece in the Globe yesterday on the Seaport? I have never seen such a pathetic article where the conclusion was determined and they would go to any length to prove their hypothesis. Seriously Globe? No wonder they are on the verge of failing.
Nothing unusual here, just typical Globe racial arson and bomb-throwing. Integrity died there a long time ago (if it ever really existed in the first place), replaced by hard-core ideology and relentless propaganda. RIP journalism.

VAN ---Lock this thread up. I don't want to hear this garbage.

This site is about architecture not racism.

I thought this site was about development, not architecture specifically. If I'm right then how the Glob covers the Seaport is absolutely in scope. Anti-development loons will seize on anything, no matter how absurd, to halt all projects in the city. Its going to take about one nanosecond for Squirrely Shirley and her merry band of whackos to start screaming racism every time a new building is proposed in Boston, complete with frivolous lawsuits, if the Glob story goes unchallenged. Idiotic hit pieces need to be answered in kind, or we run the risk of the less interested public adopting that point of view.

The median work continues down Seaport Blvd. and they've just installed the black light posts up and down throughout the median, as well as what appears to be footings for new pedestrian crosswalk lights.

This median (when trees and grass are added) is really changing the feel of these few blocks. Looks awesome.

I thought this site was about development, not architecture specifically. If I'm right then how the Glob covers the Seaport is absolutely in scope. Anti-development loons will seize on anything, no matter how absurd, to halt all projects in the city. Its going to take about one nanosecond for Squirrely Shirley and her merry band of whackos to start screaming racism every time a new building is proposed in Boston, complete with frivolous lawsuits, if the Glob story goes unchallenged. Idiotic hit pieces need to be answered in kind, or we run the risk of the less interested public adopting that point of view.

Well said. People that want to shut the discussion down are the same people going along with the Globe's hypocrisy.

The median work continues down Seaport Blvd. and they've just installed the black light posts up and down throughout the median, as well as what appears to be footings for new pedestrian crosswalk lights.

This median (when trees and grass are added) is really changing the feel of these few blocks. Looks awesome.

Great. Can't wait to see how this comes together.

Nicely done - per the usual....

The people running the Globe have devolved down to the level of banal, reprobate scum....

Well we did have a thread (posted on the development projects subforum) to keep it all in one jiffy john..... Until it got moved ...then closed. Divide and conquer hit pieces in the Globe are diabolically effective at furthering division, resentment, and perpetuating hatred.

http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?t=5572

Last edited:
One issue that I have with the globe site is how it tries to paint a picture about how the majority of construction workers are white while less then half of the city of Boston is. The issue I have is that construction workers come from across the region, not just Boston. If we look region wide the greater Boston area is still overwhelmingly white. The employees involved in construction reflect this.

And they keep using the Seaport as a scapegoat, but you could look at basically any wealthy area (especially suburban ones) and African Americans will be underrepresented. I understand that this is an issue but the Seaport is not the cause, the socioeconomic status of African Americans is the cause.

One issue that I have with the globe site is how it tries to paint a picture about how the majority of construction workers are white while less then half of the city of Boston is. The issue I have is that construction workers come from across the region, not just Boston. If we look region wide the greater Boston area is still overwhelmingly white. The employees involved in construction reflect this.

And they keep using the Seaport as a scapegoat, but you could look at basically any wealthy area (especially suburban ones) and African Americans will be underrepresented. I understand that this is an issue but the Seaport is not the cause, the socioeconomic status of African Americans is the cause.

I was thinking the same thing. Its a bit unfair to say the city is 25% black but we went to the MFA and only found 3 black people there to use another example, when these places are 1) appeal to a wider geographic area, and 2) there is no design to keep people of color out.

I'd also say the articles are poor in that they don't cover Hispanic or Asians views on all this, as if the Glob somehow feels they're not as relevant? Don't know, but worth asking.

I'd also say the articles are poor in that they don't cover Hispanic or Asians views on all this, as if the Glob somehow feels they're not as relevant? Don't know, but worth asking.

It's the Globe's very own institutional racism, such flaming hypocrites.

.....if the Globe story goes unchallenged. Idiotic hit pieces need to be answered in kind, or we run the risk of the less interested public adopting that point of view.

that's precisely their objective.....

Nothing unusual here, just typical Globe racial arson and bomb-throwing. Integrity died there a long time ago (if it ever really existed in the first place), replaced by hard-core ideology and relentless propaganda. RIP journalism.

I'm glad this thread is going off the rails since the other one on-topic was closed.

The Globe really missed the boat by focusing on race rather than economics. The BRA allowing the developers to do "off-site" affordable housing really reeks of classism. And it creates affordable units in exactly the wrong place.

Boston is still very segregated racially and getting more economically segregated with the kind of housing development that is happening in the Fenway and Seaport.

I place the blame squarely on the BRA. It's still up to the same shenanigans despite its pricey re-branding and new acronym.

It seems to me that this is exactly what you get when you build an entire neighborhood effectively in one fell swoop: homogeneity. Thats not a judgement, thats just common sense and a little Jane Jacobs (but I repeat myself). Unless we were prepared to develop the Seaport much more slowly, then its likely that the demographics would still be pretty close to what they are, no matter what was done.

Just pointing out that this is great example of why locking threads is counterproductive.

Van, I appreciate your intention, but the shitshow was inevitable. At least before it would have been a shitshow in a shit thread that most of us could have avoided. Instead it's ruining the Seaport Square thread.

Not to imply there are no insightful posts on the topic. The question is an interesting one. It just feels like I'm in room filled half with bright adults and half with third graders.

Back