Seaport Transportation

I just don't get why they're looking at bus improvements on a multi-year time scale, and not even thinking about (at least publicly) the eventual replacement that Seaport BRT will need as the area is further developed.

It's a permanent game of kick-the-can with infrastructure in this state. They're always at least two-years behind the curve.

When the Tall Ships were in Boston in 2012, they ran 30 of the 32 dual-modes in service in the tunnel during the days the festival was taking palce (the normal schedule requires only 17). They didn't have any major problems running such an intense service, but based on the maintenance needs of the bus fleet, it was a schedule that could only be operated for a few days. With a larger bus fleet, they could certainly replicate that level of service on a regular basis.

Usually, closely spaced buses mean an even slower crawl and frequent braking. Makes the deteriorated roadway a bit more tolerable, though.

I hope the reality of increased headways is more in line with your experiences, than mine.

Which ramp is State Police only? Ive heard this discussed but am not sure which one it is. Also, I wonder if our dear new mayor will ever get around to trying to boot the Staties out of the Seaport once and for all. The fact that State PD are responsible for this area is just so asinine. Maybe the good Gov. Charlie will take it on.

Most of the land is owned by Massport or EDIC. That's why it's State Police jurisdiction. How can the mayor kick State Police off State land? A better question: Why would he? Why would the city want to provide services to land it doesn't collect taxes from?

Most of the land is owned by Massport or EDIC. That's why it's State Police jurisdiction. How can the mayor kick State Police off State land? A better question: Why would he? Why would the city want to provide services to land it doesn't collect taxes from?

The FK4 question and The EGE's answer concerned the dedicated downramp into the (airport-bound) Ted Williams Tunnel, seen here at lat/lon 42.3464439,-71.039. Its use by the Silver Line would cut a whole lotta looping (and those of us here c.1998 remember that they also had a temporary upramp out of the tunnel to D Street back then).

The FK4 question and The EGE's answer concerned the dedicated downramp into the (airport-bound) Ted Williams Tunnel, seen here at lat/lon 42.3464439,-71.039. Its use by the Silver Line would cut a whole lotta looping (and those of us here c.1998 remember that they also had a temporary upramp out of the tunnel to D Street back then).

I understood the point about the Silverline having access to the dedicated ramp. When F4K said this
Also, I wonder if our dear new mayor will ever get around to trying to boot the Staties out of the Seaport once and for all. The fact that State PD are responsible for this area is just so asinine.
I assumed he was talking about the Seaport.

The state police and the Boston police once had a big brawl over who would police the southeast expressway. This could be round two.

I understood the point about the Silverline having access to the dedicated ramp. When F4K said this I assumed he was talking about the Seaport.

One word -- Massport

Massport is the dominant landlord for the majority of the Seaport area -- they are a DOT element and hence the State Police are the police -- and a very lucrative situation for the state police -- not going to change anytime soon

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/law-enforce-and-cj/law-enforce/msp-troops/troop-f/troop-f-overview.html
Troop F Overview

Airport terminals FHQ Troop F Headquarters
Logan International Airport
MASSPORT
2 Service Road
East Boston, MA 02128
Telephone# 617-568-7300

The policing and security of all Massport properties is provided by the Massachusetts State Police, Troop F. The Community Policing program at Logan provides visible police presence in all terminals for the safety of the traveling public. ...

I use the bypass all the time. I see lots of other non-commercial vehicles doing it do.

I use both all the time too - sometime even going up to the bus station and banging a uie to get to the HOV from 90EB.

I see lots of non-com vehicles on the haul road.

I see almost no one else in the HOV, ever.

Opening the HOV is going to be a little problematic - yes, it bypasses the southboston offramp from the tunnel, but most of those folks are still going to try to jam into two lanes in the TED, but now with a poorly structured merge from the HOV lane...

So we are opening up the HOV to general traffic because???

(Hint, because the State failed to educate the commercial traffic to the existence of the HOV -- or they purposefully avoid it to run up fares -- i.e. taxis). I have countless examples of me having to school a taxi driver to use the HOV to the airport.

Remember, we have an MPO staffed by morons that believe HOV reduces capacity... because there are fewer vehicles per hour...

These decisions are both boneheaded and unfortunately typical of the bad old days, which appear to march right along.

(Hint, because the State failed to educate the commercial traffic to the existence of the HOV -- or they purposefully avoid it to run up fares -- i.e. taxis).

Bingo. And FWIW, there aren't even any signs indicating the presence of the access ramp to the HOV from Traveler / Broadway - or at least none that are visible until you're already on the ramp....

Remember, we have an MPO staffed by morons that believe HOV reduces capacity... because there are fewer vehicles per hour...

These decisions are both boneheaded and unfortunately typical of the bad old days, which appear to march right along.

Ah yes, one single passenger car equals one full bus, because "deh are buth vehicals... duh"

Bingo. And FWIW, there aren't even any signs indicating the presence of the access ramp to the HOV from Traveler / Broadway - or at least none that are visible until you're already on the ramp....

Yes, this. You have to know it's there. There are no signs guiding you to it at all. Same with the entrance to it off of Kneeland St.

Also, Google Maps and Waze don't know about it. And most taxi/Uber drivers just use navigation apps to tell them where to go...

I use the bypass all the time. I see lots of other non-commercial vehicles doing it do.

I used to use it a lot when the Ted Williams wasn't connected to anything on the Southie side of the harbor, but haven't touched it since the airport ramp was built off of Albany.

Ah yes, one single passenger car equals one full bus, because "deh are buth vehicals... duh"

Jeff, jeff -- remember that the fully committed to Greeniness Steph is the DOT -- if she can't justify your anti-car commuter views -- then who can except for DuTaxus hisself

When did the Silver Line stop running right down in front of the cruise terminal? When I got off the ship this morning we had to walk a little and there were no signs to advertise transit connections that I could see. Also, the loop around through the parking lot at the end of Black Falcon was a little silly.

When did the Silver Line stop running right down in front of the cruise terminal? When I got off the ship this morning we had to walk a little and there were no signs to advertise transit connections that I could see. Also, the loop around through the parking lot at the end of Black Falcon was a little silly.
What day of the week and time of day were you there? AFAICT, the loop around the lot is gone but it SL2 still runs to/from and around the Design Center at all hours. It does change when (in the route) the loop happens between AM and PM, noting:
WEEKDAY/SATURDAY NOTE (SL2):
Before noon, SL2 loops the Design
Center on the outbound trip. After noon,
SL2 makes the loop on the inbound trip

You use the Transit App (or similar) I hope.

When cruise ships are in terminal, the SL does not make the loop. I'm not sure what the route is, but there's frequently alerts/notices that it is diverted. Which makes no sense, since there's hundreds of people arriving/departing who could use the service...

Back