Seaport Transportation

Shep, I'm not so sure that Dewey Sq (hardscape portion) is really under utilized - the crowds that pass over it during every morning and evening commute while fleeting are very sizable. It's essentially a very wide pedestrian street between Federal St and South Station. And certainly it needs improvement, it's far from perfect.

I tend to agree more with Whighlander, activating Dot Ave and the USPS property have more promise.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. Of course the hardscape plaza is well-used. But the grassy area just north is underutilized (empty ever since Occupy!) I'm proposing to bring a BRT bus terminal onto what's now the hardscape, and moove the activities on the hardscape north to where the grass is now.

The grassy area was very well used this last Spring, Summer, and Fall when they had tons of red adironack chairs there. People would sit and eat or read or just relax.

Shirley Leung: Historic waterfront span may be rebuilt
Tucked in the agreement to bring General Electric Co.’s global headquarters to Boston is a commitment from the city to spend as much as $100 million to reopen the Old Northern Avenue Bridge, while the state will kick in $25 million to improve roads, pedestrian walkways, and bike lanes throughout the Seaport District.

[...]

The company has not yet picked a location for its headquarters but has been considering two Seaport sites, one on Summer Street and another on land owned by the Massachusetts Port Authority. Both are a fair distance from the Northern Avenue bridge, bolstering the idea that additional public funds are designed to benefit the district, not just one company.

The state is preparing to offer a menu of options that will narrow as planners look more closely at the needs of the area. For example, funds could go toward straightening intersections, increasing the frequency of service on MBTA Silver Line routes in the area, and designating more bicycle lanes.

I am hoping that the GE move doesn't put us back on track for opening the Northern Avenue bridge to automobile traffic.

They make it seem like the bridge being closed to auto traffic is a nightmare for the Seaport when in reality, constructing Seaport Boulevard (and it's bridge) redistributed the demand and made the Northern Ave bridge much less relevant to the auto network. Northern Ave barely has any traffic as it is, even with the new buildings.

I am hoping that the GE move doesn't put us back on track for opening the Northern Avenue bridge to automobile traffic.
It'd be insane to reopen Northern Ave to cars and trucks. I can't believe that it'd ever pay to rebuild or restore that rickety old thing to full load-bearing levels.

First priorities are:
1) Pedestrian Commute (Rowe's Wharf & DTX & Blue Line walks)
2) Pedestrian Commute seaport apt to FiDi
3) Pedestrian Harbor Walk
4) Bike

And these would require much less of a structure...either restored or one of those graceful new-age bike-ped bridges (picture the North Bank Bridge Charlestown-Cambridge)

The only possible vehicle I can picture on that bridge would be BRT, and maybe only 1 lane (with signals). We've got a tunnel for South-to-Seaport BRT, it'd be nice to have a new Northern Ave bridge for North/Central-to-Seaport BRT.

It'd be insane to reopen Northern Ave to cars and trucks. I can't believe that it'd ever pay to rebuild or restore that rickety old thing to full load-bearing levels.

First priorities are:
1) Pedestrian Commute (Rowe's Wharf & DTX & Blue Line walks)
2) Pedestrian Commute seaport apt to FiDi
3) Pedestrian Harbor Walk
4) Bike

And these would require much less of a structure...either restored or one of those graceful new-age bike-ped bridges (picture the North Bank Bridge Charlestown-Cambridge)

The only possible vehicle I can picture on that bridge would be BRT, and maybe only 1 lane (with signals). We've got a tunnel for South-to-Seaport BRT, it'd be nice to have a new Northern Ave bridge for North/Central-to-Seaport BRT.

Northern would be useless for a busway because the intersection with Atlantic post-C/AT was reduced to a one-way. Logically assuming any new bus route has to pull up curbside at the Courthouse station headhouse on Seaport Blvd., how would Northern be tied in?

Northbound buses: bang a right on Sleeper, bang a left on Northern just to avoid the Moakley Bridge queues at Atlantic? Does that save any time whatsoever to have 2 turns vs. none on a clumsy bus. Or, worse...clumsier 60-footer.

Southbound buses: skip Northern altogether 'cause "cahn't get theya from heya". Or, do the superduper OCD thing and pull uey at Atlantic/Seaport, then bang a right on Northern, then bang a right on Sleeper, then bang a left back onto Seaport to hit Courthouse?

I can't conceive of a bus route to/from anywhere that could conform to those gymnastics. Seaport Blvd. is the thoroughfare that interfaces with everything now. Northern wouldn't have been totally displaced in that role and cut off from the southbound grid if there was any intent to leave a provision intact.

It's a footbridge. A really expensive footbridge that people want to keep, and that's okay in itself. Its days as an auto traffic route are still forever-done, with inability to reinvent for that purpose a physical concession to 93 ramp placement more than anything else.

Northern would be useless for a busway because the intersection with Atlantic post-C/AT was reduced to a one-way. Logically assuming any new bus route has to pull up curbside at the Courthouse station headhouse on Seaport Blvd., how would Northern be tied in?
Contraflow Bus-only lane on Atlantic Ave:
- Southound crosses from Surface Artery side to the Atlantic side by cutting through the all-concrete Surface/Broad/High triangle
- Incorporate the busway into the freakishly-wide plaza in front of Rowes Wharf*
- Might have to take the row of trees alongside the downramp opposite the 400 block of Atlantic Ave. (don't see the USCoast Guard caring) to bump the lanes of Atlantic Ave westward
- Turn at Northern Ave

*I'd said "sidewalk" but really the current thing in front of Rowe's Wharf is an over-wide artifact of the old Artery alignment, not a pleasant space.

Contraflow Bus-only lane on Atlantic Ave:
- Southound crosses from Surface Artery side to the Atlantic side by cutting through the all-concrete Surface/Broad/High triangle
- Incorporate the busway into the freakishly-wide plaza in front of Rowes Wharf*
- Might have to take the row of trees alongside the downramp opposite the 400 block of Atlantic Ave. (don't see the USCoast Guard caring) to bump the lanes of Atlantic Ave westward
- Turn at Northern Ave

*I'd said "sidewalk" but really the current thing in front of Rowe's Wharf is an over-wide artifact of the old Artery alignment, not a pleasant space.

That is really, really reaching for a re-use for re-use OCD's sake. And solves none of the issues with time lost by all those turns on the Seaport side of the Channel. We've long ago crossed over into more-trouble-than-its-worth land here.

Seaport Blvd. gets criticized to hell for being an overbuilt monstrosity, so if bus lanes come into play they're not going to be contraflow on Atlantic and gerrymandered over Northern. They're going to be striped both directions of Atlantic, and both directions on Seaport. And let the on-street parking capacity wars be fought with winners and losers determining what spatial luxuries those striped BRT lanes do or do not get.

Bottom line is 3 turns is hideously slower than 1 for reaching the same place on a bus, and if this is the sort of route that requires articulated 60-footers....pfffffbbbbt! Turn radius-as-schedule drag soundly defeats any Northern Ave. alignment with 60-footers by its lonesome.

Fewer thinkpieces on how to force-fit something/anything onto the structure because reasons, more thinkpieces on easiest paths to functional transit schedules serving the need to get exploding Seaport employee ranks to the North Station area. It ain't going to happen with the geometry that bridge is left to work with on either side.

I'm starting from the premise that the best urban transit bang-for-buck is priority bus service, ideally with an exclusive lane and signal pre-emption (or priority). The Seaport Transportation solution is going to be a mix of bus that use the tunnel(s) (Ted Williams and SL Piers) and some that just hit all the big transit hubs and Seaport demand. Every place there's an over-wide pedestrian mall, I'd seriously consider a busway down it.(eg, Broad/High, Rowe's Plaza and Northern-to-Boston Wharf)
That is really, really reaching for a re-use for re-use OCD's sake. And solves none of the issues with time lost by all those turns on the Seaport side of the Channel. We've long ago crossed over into more-trouble-than-its-worth land here.
I think putting a bi-directional stop curbside at Rowe's Wharf is worth it for making the Ferries more useful (rather than having to cross the greenway to go south) WHere would you put your Eastbound stop serving Rowes?
Logically assuming any new bus route has to pull up curbside at the Courthouse station headhouse on Seaport Blvd.
I wouldn't. It'd stay on Northern Ave and have a stop at Fan Pier until [Northern Ave naturally comes back into Seaport Ave]*. Sure, at some point it needs to connect with the SL Piers Transitway, but I don't see the hurry to do it at the current Courthouse stop.

*Oops, forgot about the re-alignment. Ideally, I'd have it turn on to Harbor Sq (impossible in the picture below) and have it climb to Summer St and maybe not meet the SL until SL Way. Or maybe it is a one-way loop counterclockwise from International Place, South Station, BCEC, Harbor Sq, Northern Ave and back to the Greenway to North Station. Wherever I can grab space for a busway, I'd seriously consider taking it.
Seaport-Square-B1-651x516.jpg

Last edited:
I'm starting from the premise that the best urban transit bang-for-buck is priority bus service, ideally with an exclusive lane and signal pre-emption (or priority). The Seaport Transportation solution is going to be a mix of bus that use the tunnel(s) (Ted Williams and SL Piers) and some that just hit all the big transit hubs and Seaport demand. Every place there's an over-wide pedestrian mall, I'd seriously consider a busway down it.(eg, Broad/High, Rowe's Plaza and Northern-to-Boston Wharf)

One of these is not like the others. To make use of Northern in any way, shape, or form you have to contort the bus route to multiple turns. On a BRT 60-footer. Do you realize how much that's going to mangle the schedule on what you claim should be priority bus service? There's no streamlining that'll get rid of that constriction, unlike the signal priority that can smooth out flow kinks in the others.

I think putting a bi-directional stop curbside at Rowe's Wharf is worth it for making the Ferries more useful (rather than having to cross the greenway to go south) WHere would you put your Eastbound stop serving Rowes?

The Greenway is too hard to cross on foot? Well...I think that's Problem #1 you better tackle before the buses if it's that big an inhibitor to ferry terminal access. Ask the right questions first, because that has little to do with buses.

You won't get approval to do a hack as ugly as contraflow bus lanes skewed to one side of Atlantic. Will not.

• Both sides of Atlantic are even width and grade separated from each other. Why are you screwing up the symmetrical layout to make it incomprehensible to the uninitiated?

• Biiiiiiig safety issue for pedestrians crossing from the Greenway. On one side of Atlantic they only have to look one way before crossing. On the other side, with this contraflow hack, they have to look both ways. From Memorial Day on, UHub's going to have a betting pool on who's the first tourist to get smooshed by a bus because they didn't realize the rules were polar opposite on symmetrical sides of the Greenway. You said it yourself: Greenway is too hard to cross. How does this do anything other than make that problem much, much worse.

• Northbound side of Atlantic has fewer travel lanes for most of its length than southbound. So you are going to be tangling with the Greenway Conservancy over land-taking to do that contraflow setup. Are you prepared for what a shitshow that is going to be? Moreover, why would choose the shitshow that will delay implementation of these BRT lanes by years and years rather than a unidirectional striping that can get done immediately. This will be a multi-year project delayer and multi-$M cost-bloater full of senseless mission creep. Your justification for intentionally choosing the hardest means of doing this has to be airtight on cost/benefit for locking horns with the Conservancy...and ask the right questions. Greenway crossing is hard isn't relevant. Bully the Conservancy to improve that instead of wasting their time in a game of political spite over land-taking.

I wouldn't. It'd stay on Northern Ave and have a stop at Fan Pier until [Northern Ave naturally comes back into Seaport Ave]*. Sure, at some point it needs to connect with the SL Piers Transitway, but I don't see the hurry to do it at the current Courthouse stop.

You just un-did your initial argument about "hit all the big transit hubs and Seaport demand". Courthouse's 1283 Blue Book boardings are one hell of a demand catchment. That is the Fan Pier demand. If crossing Seaport Blvd. and walking 200 ft. between TBD buildings on the parking lots is too much an ordeal, then Job #1 is asking why is Seaport Blvd. so hard to cross on-foot and address that.

As with Greenway ped access...what question are you asking that such a convoluted routing answers? And why does the route have to gerrymander bass-ackwards around the deficiencies of designed pedestrian access structures?

*Oops, forgot about the re-alignment. Ideally, I'd have it turn on to Harbor Sq (impossible in the picture below) and have it climb to Summer St and maybe not meet the SL until SL Way. Or maybe it is a one-way loop counterclockwise from International Place, South Station, BCEC, Harbor Sq, Northern Ave and back to the Greenway to North Station. Wherever I can grab space for a busway, I'd seriously consider taking it.
Seaport-Square-B1-651x516.jpg

This makes sense on thru streets. But if you're going to loop...you have to justify why you're piling loops-upon-loops-upon-loops with the Northern Ave. detour and all the schedule penalties that entails. SL Way's already a little bit nasty for turns around the block, so making good time is reliant on minimizing unforced turns.

There's nothing in any of the above justifications that ask/answer the question "Why make otherwise unforced extra turns?" Again...if it's shitty pedestrian access from crosswalks and Greenways that are supposed to be designed for that, address the right questions because ped access will be just as big an inhibitor no matter what bus routes you draw up. Would you rather have shitty crosswalks and shitty Greenway crossings WITH a poorly-performing bus schedule contoured to needlessly complicated routing hacks? Or would you rather just fix the shitty ped access that has nothing whatsoever to do with the bus routes?

All of this is inventing overcomplicated force-fit scenarios because reasons. Do we want to get this done, or do we want to make an obstacle course's worth of mission hurdles delaying the rollout? Because that's all that doubling-down on ^this^ level of arbitrariness accomplishes: punting service starts calendar years down the road and gumming it up with external political manhandling.

Because that's all that doubling-down on ^this^ level of arbitrariness accomplishes: punting service starts calendar years down the road and gumming it up with external political manhandling.
Maybe it'd help if you'd describe your network that ties the Seaport as much as possible to Kenmore/Longwood/Green Back Bay/Orange, and North Station so we can see clearly how much better optimized for implementation and operation it'd be. {and whether BCEC-side of things is on that network or still a hike. Bonus points for better Kendall/Lechmere/Charlestown}

If you somehow want to use Northern Ave for part vehicle traffic and get a bus lane by doing it, route the cars over it instead:

Push all the car traffic right turns onto Atlantic onto it from Seaport (1 lane of bridge, 2 turn lanes after the bridge), now you can take a lane from the Seaport Blvd bridge for a bus lane into downtown without losing any car capacity.

Someone else might have to do the math on if you have the width, but you might even be able to fit a bus lane into the Seaport too if you make them combination bike/bus lanes. (Also not sure what the cycling community's opinion of that is).

Maybe it'd help if you'd describe your network that ties the Seaport as much as possible to Kenmore/Longwood/Green Back Bay/Orange, and North Station so we can see clearly how much better optimized for implementation and operation it'd be. {and whether BCEC-side of things is on that network or still a hike. Bonus points for better Kendall/Lechmere}

North Station: Atlantic Ave. with a bus lane on each side to bus lane-striped Seaport Blvd. If unidirectional loop desired, pass by SL Way and take Summer on the return trip. Dependent on Massport moving forward with its proposed fix of the Haul Rd./Summer St. interface. Delayed at-present, but they want to carve a straight shot off Haul Rd. to Summer St. by the bridge to capture Conley Terminal truck traffic and eliminate the awkward double-turn at Pumphouse Rd. A transit-related use for this reconfig would be just the nudge to get it done.

Back Bay eastbound: Dartmouth==>Boylston==>Essex==>Atlantic
Back Bay westbound: Atlantic==>Kneeland==>Stuart==>Charles South/Park Plaza==>St. James==>Dartmouth.

Since westbound has to stick to the next block over, Signage!Signage!Signage! at corners of Arlington St. and Dartmouth St. pointing people to the Green Line.

From Atlantic...same considerations as the NS route. Choose either one side with a terminal, or a unidirectional loop hitting Seaport and Summer. Choices for the loop of running in the exact same direction as the North Station route for predictability's sake, or opposite direction for load-balancing's sake.

Kenmore/Longwood: Omit. BBY connector gets you directly to Green-Arlington and Green-Copley...front door in one direction, 200 ft. from the next block in the opposite direction. Will always be faster to transfer than fighting the street grid further out. Headways can remain stiffest on the BBY bus if it serves both the Green and Orange/CR transferees.

Kendall: Omit. Silver-to-Red will always be the hands-down fastest possible route.

They make it seem like the bridge being closed to auto traffic is a nightmare for the Seaport when in reality, constructing Seaport Boulevard (and it's bridge) redistributed the demand and made the Northern Ave bridge much less relevant to the auto network. Northern Ave barely has any traffic as it is, even with the new buildings.

Just take down the bridge. North Bank Bridge cost less than $30 million and was a bigger project than this would seem to be. Proposing anything more than a pedestrian/bike bridge seems like a waste.

Transit is the solution, but if it doesn't stake its claim to Seaport Blvd soon, car commutes will become too entrenced. To whom in the Gov/Mayor/T's office do we send F-Line's plan?

I ask because I recently got this quote from a top exec who drives to work from a leafy suburb to a big office with lots of windows on an upper floor in the Seaport:
Traffic on Seaport [Blvd] is bad enough now, but at least I can look down on it to see how it is flowing. I guess GE is just one of many buildings that are coming. When its all built out, I heard they're going to make all of Seaport one way in in the morning and one way out at night
("in" being from 93 to the Seaport (and maybe 90?), and "out" being "back to the interstates")

I have no reason to believe that 1-way-Seaport is the plan, but what should be troubling to all readers here is that this exec so easily believed that, naturally, the streets of Seaport would be configured to maximize convenience of suburban executive car commuters.

I offered, "its more likely that they'll take lanes for bus routes"
He countered, "that's whats the [bus] tunnel's for"
I asked, "is the tunnel any good for getting from North Station or the North-Northwest"
He replied, "that would be handy if it were easier to get to the airport from the North"

So, it has a happy ending--he was educable-- but I think our time is limited for pushing transit.

Just take down the bridge. North Bank Bridge cost less than $30 million and was a bigger project than this would seem to be. Proposing anything more than a pedestrian/bike bridge seems like a waste.
I'll take a double-wide, gracefully-arched North Bank sequel for $60m, please. Even better, a flat pedestrian drawspan or swingspan.

Part of what made the old bridge so nice is/was that it is FLAT. Part of what makes the Moakley bridge bad is the high arch. The walk down is never quite payback for the climb up.

Globe: Historic Seaport bridge to come down

The city is going to start dismantling the Northern Avenue Bridge in March, on orders from the US Coast Guard. This has been in the works since October, so it would have happened with or without GE. They also "plan to develop a public process to determine the future of the Northern Avenue Bridge" this spring.

Let's take a moment here to reflect on the grotesque spectacle of another piece of perfectly functional infrastructure neglected completely as it is left to rot in place, to the point that it becomes an imminent public hazard.

What a shame.

Back