Seaport Transportation

^ I guess I don't understand the South Station Route. Isn't that the job of the Silver Line? Do we just need more frequent SL2 runs so the busses are not packed by Logan passengers?

If you're on the Northern Ave / Seaport Blvd side, the Silver Line is the best option to South Station

My sense is that along Congress St or Summer St a bus could be superior to the Silver Line tunnel, particularly if you're connecting to Commuter Rail (for which the Summer St curbside can be better than arriving by Silver Line)

If you're on the Northern Ave / Seaport Blvd side, the Silver Line is the best option to South Station

My sense is that along Congress St or Summer St a bus could be superior to the Silver Line tunnel, particularly if you're connecting to Commuter Rail (for which the Summer St curbside can be better than arriving by Silver Line)

WTC Station sits squarely between Congress and Summer, with access from both.

The whole point of the busway is to take the bus traffic off of the surface roads, and move it out of the way. The curbside at South Station is already a total clusterf**k.

Busses to South Station on the surface roads are just a bad idea.

Also, the MBTA does operate the weird circulator route, Bus Route 4, at AM and PM rush hours. The route hits both North and South Station (well nearby). But it seems really odd in its route through the Seaport, with varying AM and PM routings.

http://www.mbta.com/uploadedFiles/D...Bus/route0046(1).pdf?led=1/2/2017 11:09:38 AM

Last edited:
What are you saying, a district as wide and dense as the Seaport can't have more than one high capacity transit trunk? Whycant there be two, one surface/bus)HOV and one in a tunnel? (Getting down into the tunnel also puts it "farther away" from people's workplace, but it was originally assumed to be worth it because they might get a one seat ride to Ruggles)

Orange and Green run parallel about the same distance apart as Summer vs Silver. A good network is redundant that way.

What are you saying, a district as wide and dense as the Seaport can't have more than one high capacity transit trunk? What would that be? Orange and Green run parallel about the same distance apart as Summer vs Silver.

I think the capacity limiter is curbside at South Station. I don't see how you make a frequent bus pick-up drop off work there. As it is the MBTA bus service stops a block or more away.

Also most transit planners would tell you that the Orange and Green lines are too close together for maximum transit coverage. Much of the Financial District has relatively poor transit access, because at the time of the Mainline tunnel construction under Washington Street there was also an Atlantic Avenue EL, supplementing coverage.

As noted upthread, I think we need HOV/BRT the entire length of Congress (NS-Haymarket-State-POSq-SS-Seaport Square)

I Much of the Financial District has relatively poor transit access, because at the time of the Mainline tunnel construction under Washington Street there was also an Atlantic Avenue EL, supplementing coverage.
Conclusion: the CBD needs as many as 3 parallel lines (with future NSRL restoring the lost function of the Atlantic Ave El), and two parallel lines for Seaport would be ideal.

Conclusion: the CBD needs as many as 3 parallel lines (with future NSRL restoring the lost function of the Atlantic Ave El), and two parallel lines for Seaport would be ideal.

I buy that, although NSRL does not really solve the dead zone in the Financial District (since the proposed stations are all locations with stations already) It is the heart of the district (east of Post office Square) that is really further away from any station than you should have for such a dense employment center.

I don't know how you deal with the looping at South Station though, if the parallel is on the surface. It works very poorly for the Silver Line Washington (which theoretically does have some dedicated bus lane [with no enforcement]).

If 2 tracks of the NSRL are allocated to the Red X plan, we probably get both SS entrances near Fed-Russia Wharf and a stop at Aquarium with entrances stretching toward Rowe's.

And even in a plan with GL-OL-NSRL, I would want a bus running the length of Congress NS to Seaport, just like NYC has intense bus on 5th Ave between subways on 4th* 6th 7th and 8th

*Now "Park Ave South"

Last edited:
If 2 tracks of the NSRL are allocated to the Red X plan, we probably get both SS entrances near Fed-Russia Wharf and a stop at Aquarium with entrances stretching toward Rowe's.

I like that. OK, that does fill in the gap.

from BBJ article last week:
The MCCA receives funding for the service from the management companies that run the participants’ buildings, according to Folk

I remember reading an article in the fall that the MCCA was actually turning a profit contracting out the service.

If that is the case I'm not sure why anyone would have a problem with this.

I think the capacity limiter is curbside at South Station. I don't see how you make a frequent bus pick-up drop off work there. As it is the MBTA bus service stops a block or more away.

I would think that the Dewey Square plaza could be reworked into a Kenmore-style transit hub. Why not?

Also most transit planners would tell you that the Orange and Green lines are too close together for maximum transit coverage. Much of the Financial District has relatively poor transit access, because at the time of the Mainline tunnel construction under Washington Street there was also an Atlantic Avenue EL, supplementing coverage.

Very true. This is why I'd prefer to have BRT running the "El" route along the Greenway, rather than up and down Congress.

^indeed. The total absence of any sort of formal taxi cue, bus drop off, kiss and ride etc at north and south stations is completely mystifying

...but congress gives you a better catchment and a little less co festoon because not serving the highway ramps....could even extend the brt from hay market up Merrimack and over to Charles mgh to catch the redline again....

Collins and Dorcena Forry: Time to fix Seaport’s transit woes
MBTA could link growth area to neighborhoods in need
Nick Collins, Linda Dorcena Forry
Boston Herald op-ed
Tuesday, January 24, 2017

While Boston’s economic engine is chugging along at a record pace, some in our city are being left behind. One big reason is a lack of equity and connectivity in our public transit system.

The South Boston Waterfront, also known as the Seaport, is booming with billions in new development, towering new skyscrapers, world-class restaurants, hotels and nightlife, and an influx of high-tech and innovation businesses. But the neighborhood is difficult to access — virtually impossible for some in the city — and traffic is an increasingly urgent issue that needs smart solutions.

We have an opportunity to address these traffic problems while better connecting our city by extending the Fairmount commuter rail line to the South Boston Waterfront. As part of an agreement to mitigate air pollution from the Big Dig, the state committed, in 2005, to make significant improvements to the Fairmount line. Much of the physical rail system needed to connect the waterfront to the Fairmount line is already in place via Track 61, an out-of-service rail line that runs from the Newmarket section of Boston into the waterfront.

Adding the needed connections, grade crossings and roadway improvements would be a significant effort, but would have an enormous return on investment in terms of reduced traffic and better access to the city’s fastest-growing neighborhood and business district, while also providing connections to better paying jobs for all of Boston’s residents.

The cost, which would be just a fraction of other rail extension projects already in the works, could be funded through public-private partnerships, similar to the recently completed MBTA station at the New Balance world headquarters in Brighton. New businesses moving into the waterfront would welcome better access and a seamless connection to the MBTA from southern points for their employees — without having to change trains at South Station as commuters now have to do.

Utilizing Track 61 was first proposed in 2013 under Gov. Deval Patrick and was part of the comprehensive 2015 South Boston Waterfront Sustainable Transportation Plan that was spearheaded by MassDOT and several other state agencies.

Following a yearlong study, the plan included a recommendation to extend the MBTA Red Line into the neighborhood. The study forecasts that rush hour vehicle trips to the Seaport will increase by more than 20,000 by 2035 to nearly 60,000. We call on the MBTA to adopt this plan and partner with private developers in the neighborhood to come up with an affordable financing model.

With the population in the South Boston Waterfront expected to double to more than 20,000 by 2035, the plan would also create a Red Line link to the Back Bay, which would be a significant improvement for residents, commuters and tourists.

Anyone who has driven to or from the waterfront at rush hour is intimately familiar with the gridlock that plagues the neighborhood. Direct rail access would relieve some of that congestion by removing South Station shuttles from the streets while also reducing car and bus traffic. The extension would also give Dorchester and South Boston commuters direct Red Line access to the waterfront.

Most importantly, connecting the South Boston Waterfront to under-served neighborhoods in Uphams Corner, Fields Corner, Mattapan, Hyde Park and Readville would give residents in those areas an opportunity to share in the economic gains currently happening in the neighborhood.

Boston is an incredible city, but studies have shown it also has the highest wealth gap of any major city in the U.S.

Better transit connectivity can only help close that gap, and the Fairmount and Red line extensions to the waterfront are the next logical, affordable steps. Making this long-discussed vision a reality would go a long way toward linking neighborhoods and ensuring that all Bostonians share in the cultural and economic successes of our city.

Nick Collins is state representative for the Fourth Suffolk District and Linda Dorcena Forry is state senator for the First Suffolk District.

How do they plan on extending both the commuter rail and red line with a one way track? Also, from my extremely limited understanding, that track cannot accommodate T cars?

Following a yearlong study, the plan included a recommendation to extend the MBTA Red Line into the neighborhood. The study forecasts that rush hour vehicle trips to the Seaport will increase by more than 20,000 by 2035 to nearly 60,000. We call on the MBTA to adopt this plan and partner with private developers in the neighborhood to come up with an affordable financing model.

With the population in the South Boston Waterfront expected to double to more than 20,000 by 2035, the plan would also create a Red Line link to the Back Bay, which would be a significant improvement for residents, commuters and tourists.

What in the heck are they talking about? RL to backbay and seaport?

How do they plan on extending both the commuter rail and red line with a one way track? Also, from my extremely limited understanding, that track cannot accommodate T cars?

It is unclear what you mean by "they" and "that track"

If you mean the Track 61 spur, all plans are absurd from an engineering standpoint and just political posturing.

If you mean North South Rail Link, that has room for 4 tracks, which could (should) be 2 Red Line (stopping SS-Aquarium-NS) and two electrified Commuter & Amtrak (SS-NS only)

It is unclear what you mean by "they" and "that track"

If you mean the Track 61 spur, all plans are absurd from an engineering standpoint and just political posturing.

If you mean North South Rail Link, that has room for 4 tracks, which could (should) be 2 Red Line (stopping SS-Aquarium-NS) and two electrified Commuter & Amtrak (SS-NS only)

Track 61 and they is the politicians proposing this

Back