Seaport Transportation

FWIW, the SL1 was absolutely crushed today :(

Being a victim of your own success can be a badge of pride for a little while for a while, but someone needs to make a procurement and fast. Are there more buses on the way?

Massport is supposed to be buying 16 more Silver Line buses to increase capacity, likely battery electric, as part of their settlement with CLF to build their new parking garage. (I did not realize that Massport paid for some of the SL1 buses already!)

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/news/2017/05/19/enviro-concessions-part-of-deal-to-add-5-000.html

^Masspot (Logan) also pays your fare when you board at the airport.

The Globe has an article today about Track 61, confirming that the T will spend $32 million to electrify it from Cabot Yard to Cyper Street and use it as a test track for the new Red Line cars.

I can't help but think that this makes future use of Track 61 for some transit function more likely.

Yeah that sounds like a Trojan horse, for better or for worse...

So I got bored and connected the Fairmount line to track 61. I made it pink cause purple is too close to commuter rail colors and yellow=bus so pink it is. Also extended it into South Boston and then went even crazier and made a branch that connected it to all other rapid transit and into charlestown. It doesn't branch at the best spot but whatever. Mostly for my own boredom but enjoy.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?...&ll=42.33700029787141,-71.10057622416144&z=12

Cool map. BTW you're missing the SL4 loop to/from South Station.

The work will include an electrified third rail along Track 61 to power the Red Line cars

This makes no sense. Just look at the GMaps imagery of the line. It has several grade crossings. How is that going to work with a 3rd rail? Is this going to cost $32M b/c they are going to rebuild/replace all grade crossings? 3rd rail grade crossings do exist, but they strike me as quite risky.

This makes no sense. Just look at the GMaps imagery of the line. It has several grade crossings. How is that going to work with a 3rd rail? Is this going to cost $32M b/c they are going to rebuild/replace all grade crossings? 3rd rail grade crossings do exist, but they strike me as quite risky.

why would they have to add a 3rd rail to any grade crossings? You set up a test track on the area where it is single track. You build a new track from Cabot to Track 61 to the east of the existing tracks, create a junction (slide 10 of https://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Por...ttees/CapitalProgram/RedOrangeLine-090616.pdf ). They're stopping at Cypher Street so they don't have to cross the road. I don't see any grade crossings needed.

What could $100 million do for the Silver Line?

With the Type 9s freed up by a Type 10 order? You could drop tracks, convert catenary to pantograph, install a maintenance facility, and buy a trailer to ship cars to Riverside when heavy work is needed.

Massive (2-3x or greater) capacity increase, higher speeds in the tunnel, and you can put your Airport and Chelsea buses on the surface (to get into DTX, to Back Bay, whatever).

With the Type 9s freed up by a Type 10 order? You could drop tracks, convert catenary to pantograph, install a maintenance facility, and buy a trailer to ship cars to Riverside when heavy work is needed.

Massive (2-3x or greater) capacity increase, higher speeds in the tunnel, and you can put your Airport and Chelsea buses on the surface (to get into DTX, to Back Bay, whatever).

I'd settle for just extending the tunnel under D street. Would be a pretty short line though - or would you street running it further?

Airport and beyond buses can still use the tunnel with tracks in there.

They could but that would just lead to the line being really slow again because without a guideway the buses cannot safely go as fast in the tunnel as a light rail car can.

Red Line to Convention Center

Third rail near a grade crossing does exist. And Cypher St is the only grade crossing you'd need for a station sandwiched between S Boston Bypass and W Service a bit to the south of Summer St to serve the convention center; perhaps a train originating at the convention center and stopping at JFK/Umass and then every intermediate stop to Ashmont could work.

They could but that would just lead to the line being really slow again because without a guideway the buses cannot safely go as fast in the tunnel as a light rail car can.

I don't think the headways would be tight enough for that to matter. Regardless, buses would slow down trolleys in the tunnel far less than cars would slow down buses on the surface.

I don't think the headways would be tight enough for that to matter. Regardless, buses would slow down trolleys in the tunnel far less than cars would slow down buses on the surface.

Busses should have auto guidance in the tunnels, then both can co-exist (trolleys and buses).

Back