SEO Spam

Re: Our Lady of Good Voyage | Seaport Sq Parcel H | 55 - 57 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

^ Why are people so up in arms about BLDP's posts? His/her post contributed a lot more - even if just from the picture - than your post did (and ironically more than this post does)

Re: Our Lady of Good Voyage | Seaport Sq Parcel H | 55 - 57 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

I think people might be upset that we have already had a discussion about the new cross (including recent photos) so it's apparent the BLDUP isn't actually reading the treads they post in.

I don't really mind the info dumps, but I can see why it might irk some.

^ BLDUP uses this forum solely as a means of generating traffic for its own platform. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe it has ever made a single post that at all engaged with the members of this community. It never posts any discussion, commentary, or explanation; only headlines accompanied by links to its own site.

I would be 100% fine with this if these headlines and accompanying articles actually contained news or some piece of relevant information that had not previously been posted. What annoys me are the many posts (such as the one above) that offer nothing new and whose only intention is to leach off some of this forum's traffic, traffic that is generated in the first place by the more substantial posts of others. The same goes for BLUP's posts about real estate transactions that have nothing to do with "development projects".

When others post "old news" or unrelated articles I roll my eyes a bit but keep quiet because I know that their hearts are in the right place. They are trying to engage with this community, and that should be encouraged. When BLDUP does it I occasionally speak up because I know its motivation for posting is selfish, not communally-oriented.

So BLDUP, if you're out there and human and listening, I'd encourage you to engage with us. Respond to what other forum users say, and make posts that contain more than a headline and a link. And by all means DO go ahead and post links to your own site if you see fit, just make sure to read above in the thread and make sure that what you're posting is actually new and relevant.

^ BLDUP uses this forum solely as a means of generating traffic for its own platform. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe it has ever made a single post that at all engaged with the members of this community. It never posts any discussion, commentary, or explanation; only headlines accompanied by links to its own site.

I would be 100% fine with this if these headlines and accompanying articles actually contained news or some piece of relevant information that had not previously been posted. What annoys me are the many posts (such as the one above) that offer nothing new and whose only intention is to leach off some of this forum's traffic, traffic that is generated in the first place by the more substantial posts of others. The same goes for BLUP's posts about real estate transactions that have nothing to do with "development projects".

When others post "old news" or unrelated articles I roll my eyes a bit but keep quiet because I know that their hearts are in the right place. They are trying to engage with this community, and that should be encouraged. When BLDUP does it I occasionally speak up because I know its motivation for posting is selfish, not communally-oriented.

So BLDUP, if you're out there and human and listening, I'd encourage you to engage with us. Respond to what other forum users say, and make posts that contain more than a headline and a link. And by all means DO go ahead and post links to your own site if you see fit, just make sure to read above in the thread and make sure that what you're posting is actually new and relevant.

If it is not a traffic hunting bot ... it sure acts like one. I for one am unhappy for its appearance on this board.

I value BLDUP. They just happened to have gotten out of synch with this thread and not read back. We are all "that guy" at one time or another.

I value BLDUP. They just happened to have gotten out of synch with this thread and not read back. We are all "that guy" at one time or another.

bldup is not a "guy" or person.

cca

bldup is not a "guy" or person.

cca

Agreed that they don't really engage, but their posts are sometimes valuable...

I also find it hard to believe it's a bot that finds the right thread and posts. It's definitely a person.

It really wouldn't be that hard it would just need to find the right keyword matches and then have a pre-generated post template which is what seems to be the case.

If it is not a traffic hunting bot ... it sure acts like one. I for one am unhappy for its appearance on this board.

It most certainly is a traffic hunting bot. My guess is that BLDUP posts are found in many other architecture forums.

Its initial contributions struck me as fine and in some cases provided new information (down in Dorchester, especially) as the rest of the community embroiled itself in endless Chiofaro Parking Garage or Winthrop St. height/NIMBY discussions.

Recently, though, it has upped its game and become a bit noisy with more reports on infill and transactional news -- even citing stuff that I had seen earlier in the day on bizjournal or therealreporter.

If someone from their site is here listening, try to post a bit less of the transactional stuff, and I, personally, would not be that bothered.

But those are just my 2-cents.

If you don't want to see someones posts add them to your ignore list. Good grief.

It's a bot. Every single post is a word-for-word simulcast of BLDUP's Twitter feed, and every single post from the Twitter feed gets simulcast on AB if there is a direct keyword match to a thread title.

Compare this week's posts:
http://www.archboston.org/community/search.php?searchid=2505584
vs.
https://twitter.com/BLDUP

The only ones not simulcast here are the ones that aren't a 90th percentile or greater keyword match. Maybe the links are human-approved so they get slotted accurately in the right thread and don't look like spam, but there's no human presence actually reading any AB thread content whatsoever.

SEO FTW!

Frankly, I fall on the side of "scratch your back, scratch mine". BLDUP can cut a deal with Van to have their Twitter feed featured on the whitespace next to the AB masthead and drive some traffic here too while AB is sending it there. But there'd probably have to be a sentient human-to-sentient human interaction to set that up.

EDIT: https://cre.tech/directory/listing/bldup
BLDUP is the only search engine for commercial real estate projects and new development. Our clients are top tier developers and owners who wish to connect with the industry, realtors and the public. We create robust, up-to-date content that both excites and educates the viewing audience. Using BLDUP analytics, we’ve created a powerful tool to help you communicate your building’s message in a new way utilizing fast, accurate data. At BLDUP, we help you get to market further upstream than ever before!
Just let there be no confusion as to what BLDUP actually is. It's an SEO advertising platform for the real estate industry, not a person or some civic-minded organization seeking outreach. If you're okay with that, you're okay with that. If you're not, you're not. But be OK or not-OK with that knowing the score; it'll lead to a lot less confusion.

Last edited:
I removed the bldup bot from the board. I was on the fence about it for a while but it just started to get out of hand. I don't think the board was benefiting from the incessant reposting of its tweets on the forum.

For anyone that will miss bldup's posts, I recommend you subscribe to its twitter feed. Same stuff.

^ Why are people so up in arms about BLDP's posts? His/her post contributed a lot more - even if just from the picture - than your post did (and ironically more than this post does)
My post wasn't driving traffic to my private site for revenue though.

This. This is why I was so po'ed.

Anyway, glad to see they are gone. As I said, they occasionally posted decent site tours and when they post them, anyone can just share them on the forum themselves and not the bot.

Back