Shreve, Crump & Low Redevelopment | 334-364 Boylston Street | Back Bay

Re: Shreve, Crump & Low bldng may be replaced w/ new develop

MDS' partners all worked for Arrowstreet in the 80's, so it's a given that they'd have an interest in humanist projects, while also having an understand of economic realities. They are a fairly small firm, with a good portfolio, and some integrity when it comes to accepting projects. I'm sure, despite past relations with Druker, they know that their voice isn't going to make much of a dent into the overrated cloud of stardom that surrounds Pelli.

This project is likely getting railroaded forward based on tax revenue, Pelli's undeserved reputation (the man designs tons of Robert Scarano style garbage for every solitary quality design project), and campaign contributions to a number of local pols.

It's odd that any building that goes over 15 stories, whether it's a beauty or a beast, is fought with such tenacity...and then when a beautiful building (or 4 buildings in this case) is going to be destroyed so they can lay down a huge mega-block building that looks crappy, there is only faint, faint resistance. It's a shame.

Beton Brut, the suspense is killing me!! Did you take any pictures of the renders that were shown at the meeting?

Sorry awood91 -- I only had my Treo, so I didn't bother. I intend to bring a camera to the next meeting.

I've been keeping away from ArchBoston for a few weeks now after reading Beton Brut's depressing posts from the BRA meeting calling the destruction of SCL and the appearance of a Scarano-quality landscraper a "done deal." I've been fearing any additional news.

It still strikes me as insane that Boston -- simultaneously one of the cities that suffered most from horrible urban redevelopment from the 60s through 90s, losing the West End and gaining Charles River Park, but also a city beloved throughout the country and world for its history and remaining historical structures and beautiful buildings -- can still tear down a building like SCL for this pointless Pelli landscraper.

Moreover, in a city with a lot of new office space coming online and vacancies on the rise as recession seems to loom, who knows how long we'll see a Gaiety-style hole/parking lot opposite the Public Garden.

This is no way for people to live -- seeing valuable structures that missed landmarking by a hair torn down wantonly while NIMBYs thwart reasonable developments. So, I'm going to take action. I'm taking to the streets this weekend to make neighbors, business owners and tourists aware of the plans, and get their opinions. People don't like seeing beautiful old buildings demolished, but those kinds of buildings are frequently destroyed because people are unaware of what's happening and have neither the time nor the wherewithal to feel they can do anything.

If anyone else wants to help me save a beautiful piece of Boston, let's meet up early Saturday afternoon to coordinate things with the goal of hitting the streets Sunday. Let's stop bitching and band together to keep Boston worth its good name. Send me a personal message, or post on this thread, and we'll figure out a time and place.

I stood outside the arlington building today to collect signatures against its destruction and hand out info about how people can oppose it. In a little less than 3 hours, I collected over 100 signatures. Probably equal parts Bostonians, suburbanites, and tourists. A lot of the people I talked to said they'd try to either attend the next meeting or write jay rourke.

I'll probably return tomorrow, from after 11 to mid-afternoon. If anyone wants to join, feel free - and it'd be great if you could bring your own clipboard!

^ Good for you, itchy! Doing something while the rest of us kvetch.

7400.jpg

Clipboard in hand.

Briv and I were at the Arlington St. Church collecting signatures again today -- over two days (and 5-6 hours out in the sun) we collected over 200 signatures, averaging out to roughly a signature every 1.5 minutes. There were a genuinely surprising number of people who were shocked and angered that Druker would want to -- or that the city would allow him to -- tear the row of buildings down. Only 5-6 people over the two days said they were in favor of their destruction, and a majority of them identified themselves as developers who admire Druker.

We'll be out there again next Saturday and Sunday, and hopefully the following weekend, before the public comments period ends on August 1st. If we can get a bunch of us out there and work in shifts, 1,000 signatures is a realistic goal to work toward.

Meanwhile, don't forget the BRA meeting this Wednesday evening. It's the last chance we can go and make a ruckus before the city's development (and destruction) gods. Let's all of us get there and bring the f*in' house down!

BRA Public Meeting on 350 Boylston
Wednesday, July 16
6:30PM
Boston Public Library
Mezzanine Conference Room, 700 Boylston Street
Copley Square

Here's the man to write, once again:

Jay Rourke, Boston Redevelopment Authority
Jay.Rourke.BRA@cityofboston.gov
One City Hall Square, 9th Floor
Boston, MA 02201
Close of Comment Period: August 1, 2008

^^ Nice work, lads!

I'll be there Wednesday night. Who's up for a double bourbon at the Charlesmark afterwards?

Shall we drop Sarah Kelly a line, let her know what you're up to?

Last edited:

I'm gonna have to jet home right after the meeting, but if you're around next Saturday and want to help pass out info -- I printed up 500 flyers and still have about half left -- and collect signatures, I'd be happy to grab a drink then. (I figure if we can get six people on Saturday and Sunday to do 2-hour shifts in groups of two each day, that'd be fantastic.)

Good work boys!

Somebody needs to notify the Globe and Herald. TV crews would also be good.

Itchy deserves a lot of credit here. He took the initiative and actually did what a lot of people were hoping someone would do. I only wish we had done something like this months ago. We would have had thousands of signatures by now, and more importantly, the word would be out. Virtually no one we encountered had ever even heard about Druker's proposal. But there is still time, and after talking to so many people who expressed utter shock at the idea that the city would allow someone to destroy these buildings, I'm feeling hopeful for once that they can possibly be saved.

BTW, I nominate Itchy as official spokesperson for this effort. The guy was extremely impressive out there yesterday. Very articulate, knowledgeable and passionate--he's one persuasive SOB.

I look forward to seeing a lot of you guys at the meeting this Wednesday. Hopefully we get a big turnout.

I think there needs to be a Save SC&L Building blog. Itchy, PM if you are interested, I can help you set it up if you want.

MEETING TOMORROW NIGHT, 6:30 PM AT THE BPL

Please please everyone attend the BRA public meeting on the Arlington Building and its neighbors tomorrow!! Bring friends, family, whomever.

I can promise that there will be some spirited opposition, for once. We ain't going down without a fight, my friends. The more of us, the ass-kickin'-better.

Also, Vanshnookenraggen has created a blog for our efforts: http://savescl.blogspot.com/

Make sure to be there tomorrow, Wednesday, at 6:30 PM. Details below:

BRA Public Meeting on 350 Boylston
Wednesday, July 16
6:30PM
Boston Public Library
Mezzanine Conference Room, 700 Boylston Street
Copley Square

Once again, keep writing Jay Rourke. He's in charge of granting the special permits needed to destroy buildings located in a historic zone, where buildings are supposed to be protected:

Jay Rourke, Boston Redevelopment Authority
Jay.Rourke.BRA@cityofboston.gov
One City Hall Square, 9th Floor
Boston, MA 02201
Close of Comment Period: August 1, 2008

I'm going to try to make it to the meeting.

WEIU home?

One thing about Druker's "history" of these buildings: He says the Women's Educational and Industrial Union moved here in 1975, which would hurt some of the historical-significance claims the building has. However, two sources seem to disagree:

1. A book called "Victorian Boston Today" mentions its home at 356 Boylston and says its symbol is the golden swan because it was founded the same year the Swan Boats first began in the Public Garden across from this site:
http://books.google.com/books?id=Qg...=ACfU3U3lpR-Wr1AfQrmpbuH6ae0i_IK6EA#PPA165,M1

2. A Globe article that predates that book also says the building opened in 1877 to house the WEIU:
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1P2-8374750.html

I don't know how to weigh these. Anyone have any thoughts? Ron?

This was discussed earlier and there was general agreement that WEIU had moved here from another building.

More, from the Globe:

"And the decision to sell an iconic headquarters building can be emotionally wrenching, as was the case when the Women's Educational and Industrial Union sold its signature Boylston Street property with its gold-trimmed doorway. The building is now owned by developer Ron Druker, who bought it for $5 million, and the nonprofit, now called Crittenton Women's Union, has relocated to Government Center."

http://www.boston.com/realestate/news/articles/2007/11/25/finding_a_windfall_in_their_walls/

Does that intricate gilded handiwork really come from 1975? Where else on the Public Garden was the WEIU before 1975? -- it was clearly somewhere on the Garden in its early days, if it identifies so strongly with the Swan Boats. And if 356 Boylston was its home for only 30 years, why was it an "iconic headquarters" for such an old institution, and why was it such an emotionally wrenching decision to leave it in 2005?

Is Druker lying? I've gone through his letters of "community support" for the project. They're all from his employees and other brokers, with a few from residents that are the same letter sent numerous times, all with slightly different modifications so as not to be identical. I don't think he's the straightest shooter.

Hmm. At this point your best bet might be to call Crittenton on the phone and ask someone there about their history.

Here's an earlier post on the subject .

Back