Shreve, Crump & Low Redevelopment | 334-364 Boylston Street | Back Bay

Re: Shreve, Crump & Low bldng may be replaced w/ new develop

That's horrible....it's like a giant glass fist.

EDIT: I see he hired a new architect....

And he should also be fired.

Last edited:

Neither designs are acceptable....but I agree with sidewalks, it's better than the one before. I wish I could go to this meeting, but I'm going to be working late tonight.

Yes, but is will be a profitable giant glass fist and that is the only metric by which a building's value should be measured.
Things like scale, massing, design and general ascetics are just for fancy cheese eaters.

Looking at this new design it seems as though they could effectively incorporate the old fa?ade into this building. It would help alleviate the ugliness and tedium of what is pretty much a ground monster.

OK, so lots of glass and what looks like a healthy dose of Trashobond. Oh, can we get that and precast at the base too? That would be just swell. Damn you small image sizes, I can't tell if that has already happened.

This building has the massing of a shelf at Foot Locker - nothing more than a couple of shoe boxes stacked on top of each other.

Needs more Alucobond.

That's horrible....it's like a giant glass fist.

Fisting for fun and profit?

(I'll reserve my opinion until I see some renderings with more realistic viewing angles.)

Wow, that is going to be ugly. Even the stylized rendering can't hide the fact.

As predicted, it is the New England Life Building, sans cupola.

Justin7: If there wasn't that damn rule about shadows on the common, i'm sure he would have kept the old building and put a small tower on the top like at russia wharf. Congrats Boston, you failed.

This isn't all that bad though. At least it A) doesn't look like it belongs on Route 128, B) looks pretty urban and C) has those setbacks so its not just a box.

You know, Druker could make a killing and please all us architecture bums, and all the presevationists, if he did this like FP3. I'm sure Stern could do a quality job fusing the old SCL with a contemporary, set-back, 5-or-so story addition on top.

Such a damn shame. This whole fiasco really makes me lose trust in Boston's leadership. I could care a little less in the Seaport, where the precedent doesn't really have much to lose; but here, it really matters. And it's rather sad and pathetic that Menino's influence is this powerful.

Did anyone go to this? If so, details, reactions.

You know, Druker could make a killing and please all us architecture bums, and all the presevationists, if he did this like FP3. I'm sure Stern could do a quality job fusing the old SCL with a contemporary, set-back, 5-or-so story addition on top.

If not a sensible (but currently "illegal") tower, then something like this. A geode form would be a cool addition, a edgy nod to the building's history.

^^I'm going to have to disagree on the geode form...I would rather see a Walmart

The options are endless, I can't say I'm in love with the geode, but it's definitely interesting. Certainly more unique than almost anything else in contemporary Boston.

Well, no, or that's what he would have proposed. He isn't proposing demoing SCL to reduce his profit margin.

The fact is, to offer attractive sized floor plates, and to cost effectively build a parking garage, both needed to achieve rents sufficient to cover the cost, then this is the best option. The only other otion is to build much taller at the other parcels, to increase total revenue at the decreased profit margin.

I'm not saying I support his proposal because he is entitled to a profit, but rather saying that just because a project is more aesthetically pleasing, or is at least more desirable from an architectural/urban design standpoint, does not (and is ofter inversely related) equal profitability.

I attended this meeting yesterday. Pretty much ruined my day.

I arrived at the meeting a little late and only caught the end of the presentation. From what I could see from the rear of the room, the design continues its paring down, now reduced to a windowed box with a couple of setbacks. The presenter-- I assume he was from Stern's office -- stated a few times that the building will have have high-quality details and that's where the focus will be. However, judging by the details on Stern's other 2 nearby buildings -- the cartoonish 222 Berkeley and the shockingly cheap-looking Clarendon, I have to say I'm doubtful.

Interestingly, the presenter also mentioned how the new less is more aesthetic, ie, box, was based off a sketch by the BRA's Kairos Shen. He also mentioned that this new design reflects the intention that this be a background building, which I found laughable considering the extreme prominence of the building's site and its gargantuan scale. It will dwarf its entire block, as well as the Arlington St. Church, and utterly dominate, visually, this corner of the Public Garden. I assume that's why we see them getting cute with the POV in the renderings, angling the perspective downward from some imaginary vantage point 500' above the Public Garden.

During the comment and question portion of the presentation, Andrea Leers, a BCDC Commissioner, heaped praise on the new boxy approach. She also made a befuddling remark to the effect that although the BCDC has voiced their desire for a much grander, bolder design for this very important site than those previously proposed, well, I guess that's impossible, so a plain box is great -- to which several other commissioners agreed.

There were comments from neighborhood residents and a representative from the Preservation Alliance lamenting being left out of the redesign discussions, and criticizing the secretive, backroom nature of the process.

My impression was that this commission was just going through the motions, and they're ready to rubber stamp anything Druker shows them at this point. It makes me wonder what the point of such a commission is. After all, if a 400' blank black wall could get by them (45 Province), what can't?

My favorite part was when they were called out the fact the board's approval of the last design transferred to the new one. Despite the fact no one in their right mind could say the two proposals are the same building.

I stood there against the wall scowling at the transparent bullshit I was hearing until I had to leave the meeting early for another appointment.

During the comment and question portion of the presentation, Andrea Leers, a BCDC Commissioner, heaped praise on the new boxy approach. She also made a befuddling remark to the effect that although the BCDC has voiced their desire for a much grander, bolder design for this very important site than those previously proposed, well, I guess that's impossible, so a plain box is great -- to which several other commissioners agreed.

Is that Andrea Leers of Leers Weinzapfel Associates?

She also apparently said 120 kingston was still 100ft too tall. :rolleyes:

Sorry to drag up an old thread (and old wounds) without any new info, but I found this photo in the MIT collection and felt it needed to be shared:

KL_000489_cp.jpg

Back