Shreve, Crump & Low Redevelopment | 334-364 Boylston Street | Back Bay

Screenshot_20211004-162826.png
This building, at 745 Boylston, has always been one of nicer ones to me. The renders and materials suggest something similar for Shreve, and for that reason, I can't really complain. Although the mechanical box on the top is a sin and is where this building shines.

In the most beautifully improbable (?) of coincidences, the BLC just issued, when all of the sound & fury surrounding 350 Boylston St. proposal is reaching a fever pitch, its recommendation regarding 371-387 Washington St. To review:

371-387 Wash. St. owner: Druker Co.
350 Boylston St. owner: Druker Co.

371-387 Wash. year built: 1897-1904 (per BLC report)
350 Boylston St. year built: 1899 (per Assessing)

371-387 Wash. style: Beaux Arts
350 Boylston style: Beaux Arts

371-387 Wash. BLC verdict: a worthy landmark
350 Boylston BLC verdict: bring on the wreckin' ball!

Personally, I agree--to me, 371-387 Wash. is as exquisite an Edwardian-era ornament as its counterpart a mile west anchoring the eastern gateway to the Back Bay is bland, boring, wholly unremarkable and drab and unworthy of a preservation battle. Of course, interpretations may vary.

[that said, what's being proposed at 350 Boylston does seem wholly uninspired to me--especially because, as noted above, it. anchors. the. eastern. gateway. to. the. Back. Bay.)

Our best chance to get Ron Druker and his shitty project to fuck way off begins 11/16.

I’ve discussed this matter in some detail with Mayor-elect Wu. I think she’d be interested in hearing from the preservationists among us.

I always believed that this building was too shrimpy for its location. If the architect for the new building is RAMSA, I think we'll be in good hands.

Obviously sooner or later this is going to come down but the only permit they have right now is for four test borings, two each on the Boylston side and alley side. They also don’t have financing and I really can’t imagine that Druker would(or even could) self-finance.

Obviously sooner or later this is going to come down but the only permit they have right now is for four test borings, two each on the Boylston side and alley side. They also don’t have financing and I really can’t imagine that Druker would(or even could) self-finance.
IIRC, Druker, in an interview several years ago, said he wouldn't build on spec.

Back