Silver Line - Phase III / BRT in Boston

Are there any parts of Boston where busways can actually work?

It could work on Washington St if they made it a true dedicated busway. Trouble is the city just painted "Buses Only" or whatever in the lane, but people still double park, cut buses off etc. If you separated the dedicated bus lane with curbing you wouldn't have to worry about double parking or snow plows filling up the dedicated lane with snow.

[Sidewalk] then [Dedicate Bus Lane] then [Small Curb] then [Parking] then [Travel Lanes]. Sort of like the pic below.

Trouble would be rearranging routes so that buses don't have to take too many left turns.

bus-bike_lane1_paris.slideshow_main_1.project_small.jpg

Too bad they can't integrate the Ferdinand's site into the Dudley improvements. Not like anyone else is using it. And what's with the Ohio ARRA sign?

I wonder if that means they will be fixing the potholes?

That would look good on Route 9 in Brookline, Newton, and Wellesley.

That would look good on Route 9 in Brookline, Newton, and Wellesley.

Bus #60 from Kenmore to Chestnut Hill Mall has low ridership along the Route 9 portion. Overall, much of a Route 9 BRT route would replicate the D line.

How I hope WTC Station ends up:

800px-Seattle_transit_tunnel_University_Street_station_01.jpg

How I envision Packards Corner/Agganis:

How I envision Dudley Square:

That's beautiful.

And this is how we do things in Boston:
silver4e.jpg

What a craphole. And people thought the underside of the elevated at North Station was grimy and seedy... Jeesh...

God forbid we consider this, let alone have it:

4199874859_15baeefd25_o.jpg

4062947760_e06e1b04b3_o.jpg

4294098176_2b075c8d86_b.jpg

3553306626_5734b015b1_z.jpg

The Aquarium stop on the Blue Line looks a bit like that bus line tunnel.

I don't get the enthusiasm for the Seattle Transit Tunnel. The roadway might be better maintained and one or two stations fairly nice, but Courthouse and WTC are also very nice stations beyond the cracks in the asphalt. Of course, we'd all prefer to see LRT running through them...

Any of you ride the 28?

Did the MBTA increase the size of the bus stops to accommodate the articulated buses?

Any of you ride the 28?

Did the MBTA increase the size of the bus stops to accommodate the articulated buses?

It's supposed to be coming along Real Soon Now. The same shrieking NIMBYs who killed the busway are having a fit over the stops, but I get the feeling the T is simply going to say "Go to hell, we've got the ADA on our side." and leave it at that.

I don't get the enthusiasm for the Seattle Transit Tunnel. The roadway might be better maintained and one or two stations fairly nice, but Courthouse and WTC are also very nice stations beyond the cracks in the asphalt. Of course, we'd all prefer to see LRT running through them...

Right on. Boston obviously can build overscaled glitzy bus stations with the rest of them so I don't get the gripe. The South Station busway is dismal, but consider that it's in a subterranean spaghetti bowl with the red line and I-93, and under one of the country's busier rail hubs, and in landfill with a tidal groundwater table.....

The same shrieking NIMBYs who killed the busway

Out of curiosity, were these NIMBYs opposed to all forms of street-running transit, or did they think that BRT in particular was a farce based on the existing SL? Would they have shot down a median-running trolley?

Out of curiosity, were these NIMBYs opposed to all forms of street-running transit, or did they think that BRT in particular was a farce based on the existing SL? Would they have shot down a median-running trolley?

The median had been redone recently with some trees, and they objected to it being removed. They also took issue with losing any auto lanes and the fact the project hadn't gone through an extended period of "consultation" with community groups. Which in Boston usually means... well you know. An endless period of concessions and nitpicking debate over minute details, just so the people complaining can feel like they have some control.

For example, the simple introduction of the articulated buses this summer raised their ire because they weren't "consulted" first. As though there was really anything to consult about.

Back