Silver Line - Phase III / BRT in Boston

No to removing the median...no to removing auto lanes...and I assume they say they're for "improved transit," too...

No question; they're just a naked "stakeholder" constituency that craves the feeling of power but has no good faith desire to see anything happen.

Iconic as in, not something NYC already has? Because then, well, no.

Who are we talking about? What NIMBYs? Are these comments based on any facts?

Any of you ride the 28?

Did the MBTA increase the size of the bus stops to accommodate the articulated buses?

They're already running. If you goto Ruggles station you can see the articulated buses running. First set of stairs on the left as you head towards the Tremont Street exit.

They're already running. If you goto Ruggles station you can see the articulated buses running. First set of stairs on the left as you head towards the Tremont Street exit.

Yes, I know theyre running. Thats why I want to know if the bus stops were made bigger

This is why we can't have nice things.

The local community groups that killed the 28X are back with a vengeance. Having not been coddled and been allowed the opportunity to give the T permission to introduce the 60' buses, they're now demanding the T remove them from route 28.

No one has been left out of the process. No one is being victimized, inconvenienced or denied anything here. The 28 improvement process has been ongoing for well over a year and a half now. Meetings have been announced way in advance, and the T put up posters all over the route to get people involved.

Giving people bigger buses shouldn't even be an issue at all. 28X is dead. That should be enough for those who fought it for the exact same reasons they're fighting the bigger buses. Last time the complaints were that the local groups hadn't been consulted before the project was made public. Now they can't live with the fact the T and State didn't bow down and ask them if it was OK to do the least they could possibly do to help.

If the buses that had been ordered went to the #1, I doubt you'd ever hear the end of how they had been "cheated".

I wish the article underscored the insanity of this just a bit more.

T?s Route 28 ride isn?t so smooth

New hybrid vehicles haven?t quelled discontent with transit service

By Meghan E. Irons, Globe Staff | September 14, 2010

When the MBTA recently rolled out 25 new hybrid gas-electric buses on Route 28, the agency said they would make commuting easier for riders in Roxbury, Dorchester, and Mattapan, where residents have long clamored for quicker, easier rides to points across the city. The 60-foot buses were billed as quieter, safer, and more fuel efficient. Plus, they can pack on more people.

But since the buses began their daily journeys this summer, some residents are complaining that the vehicles are falling short of what is needed and saying that, once again, the T has tried to thrust upon them a plan without getting enough community input.

The latest dust-up is highlighting a divide among neighborhoods that share that stretch of Route 28, lingering distrust of the T, and leftover angst from the failed community process involving the proposed Route 28x.

The T had unveiled a plan last year in hopes of tapping millions in federal stimulus money to bring rapid transit to the route. The plan included erecting a designated bus lane, but residents rejected the proposal and denounced the T for failing to first get their input.

Mattapan community leaders are largely pleased with the bigger buses, but Grove Hall leaders are again blaming the T for shutting them out of the process and failing to discuss their transportation plans before unveiling the buses. City Coun cilor Chuck Turner even asked the T to yank the buses one month after they hit the road, T officials said.

?There were a lot of us who participated in the community process for 28x and the MBTA is pretending that discussion had not taken place,?? said Michael Kozu, a Grove Hall activist. ?They went ahead and implemented these buses anyway without having a meeting in Grove Hall ? the community that is most impacted by the move.??

MBTA General Manager Richard Davey said that no changes have been made to the route and that the buses are meant as a short-term solution until a longer-term plan can be hammered out. He also noted that the T polled 500 riders along the route and found that 91 percent favored the new vehicles. The T also held a community meeting at Mattapan Branch Library that Kozu attended in June, Davey said, and most of those in attendance supported the immediate installation of the hybrid buses.

Davey said the T is reaching out to residents in Dorchester, Mattapan, and Roxbury to serve on an advisory board for a study examining their neighborhoods? long-term transit needs. T officials met with community leaders and lawmakers three times since July and are planning another a meeting in Grove Hall next month, he added.

?I am sensitive to the poor community process related to 28x,?? Davey said. ?As we go forward with improvements for the corridor, I want a robust community process. In this instance all we did was put safer, cleaner, bigger buses on the route. We did not make any changes to the route. . . . And I felt riders overwhelmingly asked us to do this.??

Route 28, the fifth-busiest bus line with more than 10,000 daily passengers, serves three neighborhoods that have distinct transportation needs. Some riders have called it ?The Snail,?? for the old buses? slow pace from Mattapan to the bottleneck of Grove Hall and the narrow stretches along Warren Street.

Such transportation problems hit a raw nerve, especially near Grove Hall, where 23 years ago the state took down the elevated Orange Line with a promise to one day return speedy service. It never happened, leaving many residents dependent on buses to get them back and forth.

For the most part, the bigger buses, bought with federal stimulus money, have received strong support among those who use them. One rider likened them to limousines, with passengers sitting in comfort without being crammed together.

Mattapan leaders call the buses an added advantage for riders and praise the buses for being greener, more efficient, and roomier than the old ones.

?The bottom line is that we are interested in improving the quality of life for the people who live and work in Mattapan,?? said Spencer DeShields, who heads the Mattapan Community Development Corporation. ?People want faster service, they want more frequent service, and they want the added benefits of having new equipment that has state-of-the art technology.??

In Grove Hall, which straddles the Dorchester/Roxbury line, residents say their transportation needs are vastly different from those in Mattapan, which they perceive as benefiting more.

?The real key issue is to make sure that people are reminded that no one has any more weight than anyone else,?? Roxbury resident M. Daniel Richardson said at a recent meeting with transportation officials. ?The reason we are here is that people felt that Grove Hall . . . was left out.??

But even in Grove Hall, blame is all around even from residents who support the new buses.

?There has been a lack of communications getting the information to residents,?? said Charles Clemons, general manager of TOUCH 106.1 FM. ?But the community also needs to be more engaged and . . . accept responsibility.??

Last edited:
This is not good reporting, as it does not say what problems are occurring in Grove Hall because of the longer buses. (My guess is that they don't fit well into the bus stops, and thus block travel lanes, but without better reporting all I can do is guess.)

This is why people go crazy and stab people.

This:
But since the buses began their daily journeys this summer, some residents are complaining that the vehicles are falling short of what is needed and saying that, once again, the T has tried to thrust upon them a plan without getting enough community input.
is due to this:
The T had unveiled a plan last year in hopes of tapping millions in federal stimulus money to bring rapid transit to the route. The plan included erecting a designated bus lane, but residents rejected the proposal and denounced the T for failing to first get their input.
They had a chance to get really good service and killed it for the sake of local politics and power plays. For the record, I don't think the community should get a say in the particulars of fleet selection. If the T purchases equipment that falls within federal guidelines for safety and emissions, then what company or design they select should be a management decision, not up to the masses who have minimal understanding of competing proposals. This kind of thing disgusts me.

To be quite crass:

The shakedown crowd didn't get their payoff and empowerment fellatio, of course they are pissed. Screw the common good, they wanted their big score and a blowjob.

shakedown crowd didn't get their payoff and empowerment fellatio

We should be employing vocab like this more often when it comes to clear cases of NIMBY extortionism.

Put in that light, I wonder how much Ned Flaherty was holding out for from the Columbus Center developers...

We should be employing vocab like this more often when it comes to clear cases of NIMBY extortionism.

Put in that light, I wonder how much Ned Flaherty was holding out for from the Columbus Center developers...

well, we do know he was looking for (and was turned down) a job with Rosenthal over the Fenway Center.

To be quite crass:

The shakedown crowd didn't get their payoff and empowerment fellatio, of course they are pissed. Screw the common good, they wanted their big score and a blowjob.

That's a spectacularly accurate assessment. It may be crass, but you can't help but speak the truth when it is so clear.

Just in case you thought the complaining about the T giving bigger, newer, more comfortable buses to Route #28 had subsided...

link

Vocal opponents at Tuesday night's meeting asked whether it was too late to get rid of the new buses altogether, and accused the agency of forcing them onto the route without neighborhood input. One suggested the MBTA paint them and put them on the Silver Line.

(...)

The MBTA will not get rid of the buses or transfer them to a different route, but it is already working to ameliorate the hard feelings, with an advisory committee made up of residents from each neighborhood along the 28, and ambassadors for marginalized ridership, like seniors. The committee met for the first time Sept. 26th. The T has also commissioned a 15-month Roxbury/Dorchester/Mattapan Transit Needs Study to better address the needs of those communities.

I think MBTA GM Davey's comment from last month displays a commendable amount of restraint, given the amount of ridiculousness being spouted:

?In this instance all we did was put safer, cleaner, bigger buses on the route. We did not make any changes to the route. . . . And I felt riders overwhelmingly asked us to do this.??

If I was the GM, Id simply ignore them. No point in addressing crazies.

It sounds like they are complaining about losing some of the closely spaced bus stops, and possibly also losing parking spaces due to the remaining bus stops being larger.

So......at a meeting to get community feedback, the community is bitching because they want to give feedback. Stories like this make me loathe the citizenry, press and government in equal measure.

Back