Silver Line - Phase III / BRT in Boston

are these the same new busses that are on the 39 route? If so, I love 'em! The lighting is a little weird and spooky at night, but they get great light during the day and are much easier to walk through

So......at a meeting to get community feedback, the community is bitching because they want to give feedback. Stories like this make me loathe the citizenry, press and government in equal measure.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely, even when it's given to "the people" (and especially, apparently, just after it's been taken away).

MBTA's website

Upgrades Coming to Silver Line - Washington Street

Start Date: 11/3/2010
Email: jpesaturo@mbta.com

Customer service along the MBTA?s most popular bus route will be significantly enhanced as part of a construction contract awarded today by the MassDOT Board of Directors.

Funded entirely by a grant from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, the $3.4 million project includes a series of improvements to the Silver Line?s fourteen stations along Washington Street in Roxbury and the South End.

Under its contract with the MBTA, S & R Construction will install new laminated glass windscreens at each shelter to shield customers from wind and rain while maximizing the impact of newly-installed overhead heating units.

The Silver Line?s 15,000 daily customers will also enjoy a smoother ride following pavement repairs in the bus lanes and at deteriorated crosswalks, where cobblestones will be replaced by asphalt between Melnea Cass Boulevard and Herald Street. Approximately sixteen construction trades workers will be hired for the project.

"The Governor and Lieutenant Governor have made customer service in transportation a top priority. These investments in the Silver Line corridor which serves large number of our customers are an example of how that priority is being put into action. And, we are not done. More improvements are coming next year, and we are working closely with the City, local leaders, and citizens of the area on ways to improve connections to Dudley from points south to Mattapan Square. The Governor is serious about the need to make real improvements in these areas," said MassDOT Secretary and CEO Jeffrey Mullan.

?These upgrades could not have come at a better time for the T?s first Bus Rapid Transit Line, which turns nine years old next year,? said MBTA General Manager Richard Davey. ?Ridership has increased by more than 2,000 customers a day since the introduction of service to South Station last year.?

Next year, workers will begin a second phase of improvements at the Silver Line?s terminus at Dudley Station, where the MBTA recently opened a Transit Police kiosk. The project at Dudley includes the construction of a public restroom, repaving work, and the installation of heating units and two-sided electronic message boards at multiple bus platforms.

Enhanced%20SL%20Station.jpg

$3.4 million that could have been spent elsewhere had the MBTA commissioned weather-appropriate bus "shelters" from the get-go.

It's interesting to note the MBTA is acknowledging that it is a bus line, not a rapid transit line.

Customer service along the MBTA?s most popular bus route will be significantly enhanced as part of a construction contract awarded today by the MassDOT Board of Directors.

$3.4 million that could have been spent elsewhere had the MBTA commissioned weather-appropriate bus "shelters" from the get-go.

The enhanced shelters would have been free 6 years ago?

They should've been designed to provide more weather protection from the beginning, rather than spending $3.4 million fixing bus shelters that are only a few years old. The $3.4 million is being spent on more than bus shelters though and I'm sure there's people out there that would say that providing more weather protection only invites homeless people to move in.

It's interesting to note the MBTA is acknowledging that it is a bus line, not a rapid transit line.

When justifying funds I suppose they don't mind saying "most popular bus route" versus when while in their fantasy land they have nothing to say but "least traveled rapid transit line by a significant margin, even upon comparison to the Blue Line".

I suppose it's good though, I guess.... It will be helpful to some people, and maybe to any overlapping bus routes too. I wonder if it will help bring a few more riders out during winter months.

I'm sure there's people out there that would say that providing more weather protection only invites homeless people to move in.

Damn homeless taking up my warm bus-waiting-for space. Fuck 'em.

You know that must have been a reason for not making them more enclosed in the first place.

the business owner's did'nt want their storefronts blocked

When justifying funds I suppose they don't mind saying "most popular bus route" versus when while in their fantasy land they have nothing to say but "least traveled rapid transit line by a significant margin, even upon comparison to the Blue Line".

The silverline washington is n par with the e branch.

Not included the silver line airport or sl2.

Not necessarily. Read the part about "scalability"; it's very enthusiastic about BRT that's designed specifically to be upgraded to light rail.

Mexico city launched their 3rd BRT line last week.

Cost: 500 million USD.

10.5 miles long.

90,000 riders on day one. (120,000 expected daily ridership by year end)
http://www.laht.com/article.asp?ArticleId=386500&CategoryId=14091

I guess buses aren't scalable eh?

Note the 6 doors. For some reason, american transit systems hate doors. I mean, the green line could use 6 each side for sure.

3138952081_f47c5dbd27.jpg

One thing they need to do is try to somehow sequestre the bus lanes. That way, cars are not able to park in them.

Of course, the bus lane violations are more frequent and blatant in NYC.

How about landmines that explode when you park on them? The buses would send out a signal that temporarily deactivates the mines as they drive by.

I love when people double park when there is a place to pull over three cars down. Why do people do this? I think death by explosion is a fair punishment.

(Just in case, I'm kidding and not advocating blowing people up. Also no offense to anyone blown up by a mine or anyone that knows someone whom has been blown up or anyone who knows someone or is going to be blown up by a mine in the future or anyone who double parks when there is a place to pull over three cars down. If any lawyers are reading this, let me know if there are any bases I haven't covered.)

How about landmines that explode when you park on them? The buses would send out a signal that temporarily deactivates the mines as they drive by.

I love when people double park when there is a place to pull over three cars down. Why do people do this? I think death by explosion is a fair punishment.

(Just in case, I'm kidding and not advocating blowing people up. Also no offense to anyone blown up by a mine or anyone that knows someone whom has been blown up or anyone who knows someone or is going to be blown up by a mine in the future or anyone who double parks when there is a place to pull over three cars down. If any lawyers are reading this, let me know if there are any bases I haven't covered.)

How dare you insult the minemakers, True Patriots who spend their lives designing ways to efficiently and safely kill the Enemy? You damn hippies, get a haircut!

Back