Silver Line to Chelsea

One effect I haven’t seen discussed much: the East Boston to Seaport commute this project will enable is going to be huge. It’s going to make thousands of units only a one-seat, one-stop, ten minute ride from Airport to World Trade Center. If relatively inexpensive housing stock and an easy bus commute to the Seaport helped transform South Boston into what it is today, what do we think it will do to Eagle Hill?

This service could easily be run now. That said, I don't think a rush hour ride will be anywhere close to 10 minutes, and it won't be as transformative as a 10-minute, trafficless rail connection would have been... but that ship sailed with the Big Dig...

The Silver Line expansion may not be a flashy new trolley or massive tunnel under the city’s core, but it is an example of how the state’s transportation people can successfully execute important projects.

This is the most telling line in the article. This is the very problem facing upgrading US infrastructure, namely that politicians balk at spending money for crucial upgrades and renovations because they aren't "sexy" enough.

This is the most telling line in the article. This is the very problem facing upgrading US infrastructure, namely that politicians balk at spending money for crucial upgrades and renovations because they aren't "sexy" enough.

Unfortunately the public seems to pay a big premium whenever the project becomes "sexy". We need more people treating transit projects like normal boring everyday infrastructure projects and less like vanity projects.

Well it's time for another update.

I moved up taking pictures one up a few weeks because my weekends in November are rapidly filling up. So since Saturday was nice, I decided to take photos of the project. I am not sure if I will take a set close to mid-December or not. I can't imagine much work being done in the winter once snow hits the ground, but we'll see.

Overall construction is moving along, like last time. This time I noticed that while it looks like most of the drainage and grading is done between the Eastern Ave <--> Box District Station section, more of the impressive work is now being done between Chelsea Center <--> Mystic Mall section.

This time I was able to get under the reconstruction of the Washington Ave bridge, which is coming along nicely. And it looks like Eversource is getting ready to move the high retention power lines so the busway can be graded.

If you'd like to see the previous photo sets they can be found here by clicking on the links below:
Pics from 4/25/15
Pics from 6/20/15
Pics from 8/1/15
Pics from 9/19/15

And if you'd like to see the ALL of NEW photos, you can click here

Now for the highlights.

Here's looking down at the busway from the Bellingham Street bridge. Looks like all the final grading and drainage is done, and all it needs is some asphalt

22051402874_4a9c745fa3_b.jpg

----

Here's looking up the busway from the Bellingham Street bridge toward Box District Station at more drainage work and grading. Looks like it just needs a final grade and it's done.

22660645572_4e8b1b6127_b.jpg

----

Here's looking at the busway from Willow street.

22685395981_46525035cd_b.jpg

----

Here's looking at the future Box District station. I'm surprised the forms are still here a month and a half later, and they haven't moved on to making the other two concrete peices for the station.

22486310130_f1a55ac344_b.jpg

----

Here's looking at the reconstruction for the Washington Ave Bridge. This is progressing nicely. The beams and conduit are already in.

22486394890_51e9b28bf8_b.jpg

----

Here's looking clearing and grading where a ramp will be built to connect Washington Ave and Chelsea Center station as seem from the Washington Ave bridge

22674379925_4669ed1b2f_b.jpg

----

The underside of the Washington Ave bridge. And if you look to the right, you can see where they've totally cleared where the ramp to connect to station to Washington Ave bridge.

22648401426_b9bb8fa73d_b.jpg

----

Here's looking down the busway, outbound to Mystic Mall station from Spruce Street. You can really tell that the only thing stopping construction now is the moving of the high retention power lines.

22674438495_480067c95a_b.jpg

----

Here's looking down the busway toward Chelsea Center station from Everett Ave.

22486499750_6c2d53fb3e_b.jpg

----

And at Mystic Mall station it appears that the Eversource is getting ready to move those power lines!

22685636661_ddc3db37f3_b.jpg

----

I think that's it for now. For more pics click on the link above for the full set of photos!

I'll continue to monitor the progress (with my bi-weekly post-Basket drive bys) to see if any significant progress has happened). So stay tuned.

The Washington Street bridge is paved and ready to be opened. The incentive in the contract maxes out in March, 2016. So the contractor beat the best expectation of the DOT by 3 months. This is why MBTA projects should be administered by the DOT from now on.

The Washington Street bridge is paved and ready to be opened. The incentive in the contract maxes out in March, 2016. So the contractor beat the best expectation of the DOT by 3 months. This is why MBTA projects should be administered by the DOT from now on.

What do you mean by "administered by the DOT?" How did this process work and how was it different from the Green Line Extension?

This project adds to the MBTA infrastructure, but it was partially funded and managed by MassDOT. So, for example, the owner's field office has space for both MassDOT and MBTA, but the MBTA doesn't really have a full time presence. DOT is calling the shots.
I believe GLX was managed by the MBTA with Gilbane / HDR as their consultant.

To complement cybah's last set, here's my (not quite as good) set of photos from December 12th.

Eastern Avenue station is still dirt piles:

But there's pavement in place around Bellingham Street!

The forms have been removed from the first two arches at Box District:

Eversource utility pole work:

Washington Street bridge looks pretty good:

Not much too note at Chelsea station:

Some signs of progress at Mystic Mall:

Wow okay.. Thanks EGE for the update. I felt bad I didn't go out in Dec, but you filled in the gap! Thanks.

But I'll still apologize for the delay. I was going to go out mid-December, however, I got sucked into a work thing, and then the holidays came and I just ran of out of time.

But I am surprised to see construction continuing, I figured by now it would have winded down for the winter months. But then again, it's been abnormally warm with no snow, so there's no reason for construction to stop if weather does permit.

There's also been some project updates outside of my photos too. The project website has been updated with some new pictures (which I've included with the set below). And it seems like a few AB'ers prayers have been answered. They've renamed two of the stations!

Chelsea Center Station (where the current CR station is now) will now be called Bellingham Square Station. And Mystic Mall Station is now known as Chelsea Station. (no "center"). I'm not sure why the names changed, but I do think making some of it may have to do with the Commuter Rail station being moved behind Market Basket. Having it named "Mystic Mall" on the CR map, doesn't exactly tell you where the station is (unless you know were that mall is). And naming both the BRT and CR station the same name probably just makes better sense. However "West Chelsea" would be better more geographically correct, since 'downtown' Chelsea is more where the current stop is.

And as far as the other name change.. While I kinda see why, since Bellingham Square is a major bus hub and it is kinda near by (a 3-4 minute walk), it's not geographically correct either. (Fay Square would be more geographically correct)

Anyways I'm not sure why the change. I know there was a community path/design meeting a few weeks ago I wasn't able to attend due to a scheduling conflict, but I'll ask around. (unless anyone where knows :) )

But as far as construction, its rapidly progressing. I'm even surprised. There was a lull in construction in Mid December from what I could see when I drove the route on city streets and checked on progress. Then I drove by last weekend and I was like.. wow. Lots of progress.

Eversource is almost done moving the high retention wires. The 2nd set of arches at Box District Station are being built, pavement is down in sections, and jersey barriers are installed near Chelsea (ex-Mystic Mall) Station. It's really starting to come along!

If you'd like to see the previous photo sets they can be found here by clicking on the links below:
Pics from 4/25/15
Pics from 6/20/15
Pics from 8/1/15
Pics from 9/19/15
Pics from 10/31/15

And if you'd like to see the ALL of NEW photos, you can click here

Now for the highlights..

Here's looking into the busway toward Eastern Ave Station from the Bellingham Street bridge. There's now asphalt that starts just shy of Cottage Street, the runs under the bridge, almost all the way to Box District Station. There's also a small section of asphalt between Cottage and Eastern Ave Station also as you can see in the distance.

24172881612_051f3c4dd7_b.jpg

---

Here's looking into the busway toward Box District Station from the Bellingham Street bridge. You can really see how the busway is going to shape up, and have the community path on the left.

23985458180_54243fba38_b.jpg

---

Here's another shot from the Bellingham Bridge at the busway toward Box District. It just looks so awesome to see it really shape up.

23913216319_3cd100d2a8_b.jpg

---

A view of the busway looking toward Box District Station from Willow Street.

24172868042_54d9a6755c_b.jpg

---

Where the pavement ends near Box District Station (behind Atlas Lofts)

24281021565_6abf671dde_b.jpg

---

Construction of Box District Station. The first set of arches are done, now the second set is being built.

23913176469_0e6b7d2fdb_b.jpg

---

A closer look at the construction of Box District Station. They are already installing conduit!

24172831652_056de6c3cf_b.jpg

---

Another view of the construction of Box District Station.

23913167619_eb6588feb9_b.jpg

---

A view of the busway looking toward Box District Station from the Broadway bridge.

23654147983_14e3e9de37_b.jpg

---

The reconstructed Washington Ave bridge.

24280950545_9d491ec918_b.jpg

---

Eversource moving the high retention wires near Bellingham Square Station. (New on left, old on right). Several of these poles have to be shifted several feet along the busway so it and stations can be built.

24254783886_ed3a3a5168_b.jpg

---

Here's looking into the busway toward Chelsea Station (ex-Mystic Mall) near MGH Chelsea. Notice how there's pavement here too and now there's jersey barriers between the new busway and CR.

24254755446_f90f06e585_b.jpg

---

Here's looking into the busway from MGH's parking lot. Looks almost done!

23654065103_c089513fdb_b.jpg

---

Here's looking into the busway toward Bellingham Square Station from Everett Ave. This is where the jersey barriers and pavement ends.

23913033539_1fce2ce7e6_b.jpg

---

Chelsea Station.. or what will be and the commuter rail. It looks like most of the final clearing is done.

23652651164_75bae23608_b.jpg

---

New MassDOT Rendering of Chelsea Station (BRT)

23652971484_5c81721d70_z.jpg

---

New MassDOT Rendering of new Chelsea Station Commuter Rail Platform (outbound platform)

23985594410_f046d4acb3_z.jpg

New MassDOT Rendering of the new Chelsea Station Commuter Rail Platform (both platforms, outbound on left, inbound on right)

24281185585_623bbb63a1_z.jpg

---

I think that's it for now. For more pics click on the link above for the full set of photos!

I'll continue to monitor the progress with my bi-weekly post-Basket drive bys and see if any significant progress has happened. If construction continues I should take photos late February (weather permitting), so stay tuned.

cybah, Thanks for the update. Great work, as usual.

Awesome update cybah! There are definitely lessons to learn from this project. This should be the model for MBTA expansion. Small, manageable, letting MassDOT handle it. It gives me hope that maybe we can have nice things.

Thanks for the update!

Will the Chelsea busway have a higher maximum speed than the South Boston transitway?

From Eastern Avenue station to Box District station, it should be fairly fast. The combination of the one-lane Broadway bridge pinch, Bellingham Square station, and several grade crossings will make the rest of the route fairly slow. But it'll still be better than the Silver Line tunnel if they manage to get traffic signal priority.

Project page says "Mid-2017" opening. Is it possible that this project will open early? (particularly given a mild winter 15/16 so far)

Project page says "Mid-2017" opening. Is it possible that this project will open early? (particularly given a mild winter 15/16 so far)

Maybe. Much of it hinges on the CR station moving since Bellingham Square station cannot be built until that happens.

They originally said late 2016.. so who knows it could open early.

Maybe. Much of it hinges on the CR station moving since Bellingham Square station cannot be built until that happens.

They originally said late 2016.. so who knows it could open early.

Something tells me less of those glass window thingies and angular shelter structures, more of the consistent prefab fixtures like they've standardized on for most post-1995 CR platform builds/retrofits might shave a month or two off that. They do have extras of those corrugated metal roof thingies and associated mounting crossbeams in-stock not requiring a custom order. Stations can't open without the shelter fixtures, even when platform is fully complete.

One of the reasons why they got/are getting the finished Conn River Line stations on the relocated Vermonter done so quickly after first ground penetration is the utterly generic everything:

640px-Depot_Square_Railroad_Station%2C_Holyoke%2C_MA_-_1.jpg

^ Very attractive, but look at each support beam and the crossbeam mount holes for putting overhangs on either side. Those are stock beams usable for any shelter mount: one-sided on side platform, two-sided on island platform, partially two-sided like this one for the side platform + egress.

Holyoke went up lightning-fast after the cement pour during last year's ground thaw because all the finishings were plug-and-play.

Something tells me less of those glass window thingies and angular shelter structures, more of the consistent prefab fixtures like they've standardized on for most post-1995 CR platform builds/retrofits might shave a month or two off that. They do have extras of those corrugated metal roof thingies and associated mounting crossbeams in-stock not requiring a custom order. Stations can't open without the shelter fixtures, even when platform is fully complete.

One of the reasons why they got/are getting the finished Conn River Line stations on the relocated Vermonter done so quickly after first ground penetration is the utterly generic everything:

640px-Depot_Square_Railroad_Station%2C_Holyoke%2C_MA_-_1.jpg

^ Very attractive, but look at each support beam and the crossbeam mount holes for putting overhangs on either side. Those are stock beams usable for any shelter mount: one-sided on side platform, two-sided on island platform, partially two-sided like this one for the side platform + egress.

Holyoke went up lightning-fast after the cement pour during last year's ground thaw because all the finishings were plug-and-play.

Not really. From the design meetings I went to.. the CR station will look like the BRT station with the concrete awnings.

Even the early design docs (last two pics in my post above) are the same concrete ones used elsewhere along the BRT line.

Back