Silver Line to Chelsea

I know this has probably already been discussed, but will this thing get stuck in eastie traffic? I know the TWT gets backed up often too.

Obviously it will, and there will be a backup at the bridge over Chelsea River too. But the question is that even with traffic is this still a better option than the buses down Meridian St or any other bus that goes over the Tobin? I suspect you'll see a large portion of riders that transfer to the Blue Line at Airport if traffic is bad. And honestly that is still a better option than what riders have now.

Obviously it will, and there will be a backup at the bridge over Chelsea River too. But the question is that even with traffic is this still a better option than the buses down Meridian St or any other bus that goes over the Tobin? I suspect you'll see a large portion of riders that transfer to the Blue Line at Airport if traffic is bad. And honestly that is still a better option than what riders have now.

Yes. I actually see the SL3 being used as a faster way to get to the Blue Line. It will take half the time verses existing bus routes.

Can't wait to see what the numbers look like after a few months of riders.

I know the TWT gets backed up often too.

Hence the need to raise tolls during peak travel times to discourage single occupancy vehicle use of the tunnel and to fund more bus service to reduce congestion (and maybe we could reduce the off peak tolls too).

They would need to take a look at how the SL1 bus does through the TWT during rush hours in order to be able to justify that decision.

Allowing the bus to use the state police ramp would alleviate most of the eastbound congestion.

Allowing the bus to use the state police ramp would alleviate most of the eastbound congestion.

I emailed Tom A, he said he'd speak to DOT about it. But it was the first time hearing about it for him. If you want the change, call your reps. Seriously.

Historical factoid. The 116/117 busses used to run up Central Avenue, across the drawbridge, through Day Square to Wood Island Park station (that used to be its name). It was much quicker than Meridian Street.

The switch came after the drawbridge got stuck in the up position. It was supposed to be a temporary detour. Right!

Historical factoid. The 116/117 busses used to run up Central Avenue, across the drawbridge, through Day Square to Wood Island Park station (that used to be its name). It was much quicker than Meridian Street.

The switch came after the drawbridge got stuck in the up position. It was supposed to be a temporary detour. Right!

I know at some point the 112 used to use merdian street, as there's a bus stop in Admiral's Hill on Admiral's Way that still says "112 Wellington/Maverick"

I emailed Tom A, he said he'd speak to DOT about it. But it was the first time hearing about it for him. If you want the change, call your reps. Seriously.

Yeah but it doesn't mean it will happen. Other people have asked over the years. (not to be a debbie downer)

I planned on calling my contacts at city hall after service started to make some noise about this. I guess I just figure, it's hard to ask for a change in something when the change won't really effected us here in Chelsea until service opens.

That and I've just been busy. However, I have other reasons to have a chat with my contacts so I will just add this to the list.

Yeah but it doesn't mean it will happen. Other people have asked over the years. (not to be a debbie downer)

I planned on calling my contacts at city hall after service started to make some noise about this. I guess I just figure, it's hard to ask for a change in something when the change won't really effected us here in Chelsea until service opens.

That and I've just been busy. However, I have other reasons to have a chat with my contacts so I will just add this to the list.

We'll see what happens.

What was the extent of discussion?

That was it really. A former legislator mentioned it during public comment, and Aiello said this was the second time they've heard about it in the last few months and it seems like there should be a more detailed discussion.

That was it really. A former legislator mentioned it during public comment, and Aiello said this was the second time they've heard about it in the last few months and it seems like there should be a more detailed discussion.

I hope for the best, there's a been a lack of solution-oriented thinking when it comes to transit problems in MA. Less "This is how we could potentially fix it..." and more "This is why it can't be done..."

The ramp worked in 2006. It's proven itself in revenue service. It was built as part of Silver Line Way and named as such, just in case there was later any confusion over what the intended purpose was.

Hey All-

It's time for another update. One of the final updates for this project, as anticipated opening is 4/1/18.

This is a rather small update, as there's not much to show, except work at Bellingham Square Station. Most of the other stations are just about done, with just very minor updates being done (road/sidewalk striping, station signs, system maps, etc). The only noted exception is there's still a railroad gate in the middle of Spruce street that needs to be moved. But the new gate is installed so maybe it's just a matter of time.

As said above, Bellingham Square station is lagging behind. The ramp is still not done, and didn't look like much work was done between the last set and this one. I was told months ago that the panels for the system were on order and would take a bit. The rest of the station is almost done, looks like its just finishing up lighting & signage.

They still have roughly 45 days until opening so it may just be done under the wire.

I also was told that the T has been running a few buses on the bus way to 'test it out' so we're very close to being done!

If you'd like to see the previous photo sets they can be found here by clicking on the links below:

Pics from 4/25/15
Pics from 6/20/15
Pics from 8/1/15
Pics from 9/19/15
Pics from 10/31/15
Pics from 1/9/16
Pics from 3/12/16
Pics from 4/16/16
Pics from 5/15/16
Pics from 6/26/16
Pics from 8/13/16
Pics from 10/5/16
Pics from 11/10/16
Pics from 12/14/16
Pics from 2/2/17
Pics from 3/23/17
Pics from 4/20/17
Pics from 6/3/17
Pics from 7/22/17
Pics from 9/9/17
Pics from 12/16/17

And if you'd like to see the ALL of NEW photos, you can click here

And now for the highlights. I am going to severely abbreviate this because there's just not much to see and restrict this to area's where there is construction progress. If you'd like to see the whole set, you can click on the link above.

----

Signage is up at Box District Station

39607092154_fcfc0aa96e_b.jpg

----

Bellingham Square Station as seen from the Washington Ave bridge

26446387788_77ca8db983_b.jpg

----

Another view of Bellingham Square Station as seen from the Washington Ave bridge

40318591041_f978983d9d_b.jpg

----

Bellingham Square Station and the unfinished ramp system as seen from the Washington Ave Bridge. I am having a hard time conceptualizing this, it just seems too low. Unless the concrete is the pillars for the system.

38509376770_d051de168b_b.jpg

----

Another view of the unfinished ramp system at Bellingham Square Station

40318597941_7036f69a60_b.jpg

----

Bellingham Square Station (outbound) as seen from Arlington @ Sixth.

40273132652_e3c76aa2b6_b.jpg

----

Spruce Street and it's existing RR Crossing that needs to be moved still

40273150422_c66a5a5568_b.jpg

----

So this picture has me a bit perplexed. I was told we would be getting signals at all crossings except for Cottage Street, which would be added later (it's a low volume intersection). But this one.. I have a call out to MassDOT (see below) about something else, so I will ask. The crossing lights at Everett Ave, Spruce, and Arlington Streets are crucial for this project to work well.

39421053605_8934bddcff_b.jpg

-----

So that's it for now. As I said. A small update. I sent out a request for a tour earlier this week, I was kind of hoping MassDOT would reply before the weekend so I would know to take pictures or not. So I did anyways.

However, I may have a tour in the next couple of weeks, so the next set could follow very soon after this one.

As far as an opening day set, thankfully it starts on a Sunday. I plan on photographing (and video recording) the first run, and a few other fun features.

But more to come.

As always, let me know what you think!

Good stuff. Saw you posted on the FB group too. IDK why it didn't get more of a response. Nearly $100MM infrastructure project, a handful of likes. Someone gets two tickets on their car, hundreds of likes.

Good stuff. Saw you posted on the FB group too. IDK why it didn't get more of a response. Nearly $100MM infrastructure project, a handful of likes. Someone gets two tickets on their car, hundreds of likes.

I no longer question that in "Chelsea MA What's Happening" Facebook group anymore. I just don't..

what people get all upset about and what they SHOULD get upset about are two very different things.

I no longer question that in "Chelsea MA What's Happening" Facebook group anymore. I just don't..

what people get all upset about and what they SHOULD get upset about are two very different things.

Agreed. That page has gone from being an informative FB group to a complaining group; most of the times people getting fined brought it upon themselves.

I hope for the best for this new service in town.

Agreed. That page has gone from being an informative FB group to a complaining group; most of the times people getting fined brought it upon themselves.

I hope for the best for this new service in town.

Yes. Someone on there coin'd the new name for that group

"Chelsea, MA: What's your complaint"

its what they ALL do on there. East Boston group isn't much better. It would be better if the moderated posts and didn't allow some of the idiotic questions. A similar group for my hometown in NH is run in that manner, and it stops 99% of the idiotic questions.

To keep this on topic to this thread, I've given up trying to reply to people on there. Everyone is so quick to dog the service that hasn't even started. I work with a few transit oriented groups, and there's a few neighborhoods that would have LOVED to see 400million go into a busway into their neighborhood. No, MassDOT and the MBTA decided to give Chelsea service, because it's needed so badly.

Yet people on that page are STILL complaining it's not a subway or its not light rail. People forget the whole picture, and frankly, if 99% of the same people who complain about how 'bad it's going to be', showed up at the planning meetings eons ago, they'd have a clear understanding why we got what we got.

Hate to be like this but "ungrateful people" sometimes..

Back