I just checked my employee timetable:

"XC Post Activation/
Reactivation point for
automatic highway
crossing warning devices
(Rule 138). Located to
the right of track
goverened."

It's possible it's just a cheap B&M reuse of an older technology which maybe in the past meant what you've described.

This was an email from earlier this year from the city manager:

Fixing the tracks and the immediate road next to the tracks is the responsibility of MassDot/T.

I dont know this for a fact, but I believe the reason they stopped work on the remaining part of street to the train tracks was because of ongoing work to the water/sewer systems for the FBI building/New Condos/New Hotel; same story for the Everett Ave section from carter st to rt 16-- road improvement project will be affected by the new Chelsea Clock Development.

They actually re-did the Everett ave crossing 2 years ago. Its like shit now. The crossings never last. They did Third Street also, which now is also like crap. Which is why I question how well that work done at Spruce in the posts above will last)

I just checked my employee timetable:

"XC Post Activation/
Reactivation point for
automatic highway
crossing warning devices
(Rule 138). Located to
the right of track
goverened."

It's possible it's just a cheap B&M reuse of an older technology which maybe in the past meant what you've described.

The stone markers almost certainly pre-date B&M altogether. Boston & Maine didn't purchase the Eastern RR until 1890, and didn't begin operating the lines as their own until the first version of North Station opened in 1893 consolidating the old independent terminals. They also didn't outright own the tracks through Chelsea, either. This was the east half of the Boston & Albany Grand Junction Branch, with the Eastern taking out a 99-year lease on B&A's property in order to build and reach a new passenger terminal downtown. The actual title deed in Chelsea didn't officially change from B&A to B&M until the late-1910's as a line of fine print in one of the antitrust and bankruptcy settlements they got caught up in. They would've had to maintain 'backwards compatibility' with B&A/New York Central's rules, since their trains had to obey those horn signs too.

The ownership mess is why those shitty crossings still exist in Chelsea while every other mainline in Greater Boston got them mass-eliminated within 5 miles of downtown by the turn of the century. B&A owned the line but didn't need crossing eliminations for its lightish freight traffic. B&M needed it for its crush-load passenger traffic but as a tenant wanted the owner to share in more of the costs. By the time they finished their mutual starting contest the free-spending era was pretty much over, closing Chelsea's window of opportunity for an elimination megaproject. There used to be even more crossings than today: Carter St., Maple St., 4th, 5th, etc. Inability to come to terms on a whole-corridor makeover with embankment or cut above/below the complete street grid led them to have to start gradually cutting non-essential streets.

That process continues to today. For example, is there any reason in hell that 3rd St. still has to exist as a crossing? Peter Pan lobbies the crap out of politicians to keep it open as a de facto back driveway shortcut for their adjacent bus storage yard, but other than that it has no traffic and the scrap yard's short street-running freight siding is decades dead. City's basically allowing all of it north of the Mall parking lot exit @ the corner of 2nd to re-disintegrate into a dirt road. That long-atrophied crossing should've been barricaded off years ago, just like many others in the decades prior. If for no other reason than it shaves a few bucks off the city DPW's maint costs and the city's emergency response liability costs to only have 5 crossings to patrol instead of a superfluous 6th that's in generally abysmal condition.

Last edited:
Hey All -

It's time for another monthy installment of Silver Line Gateway photos!

Sorry about the delay. Busy Summer. :)

The construction is really coming along. Like last time it's alot of small things here and there, enough to let you know that construction is moving along. However, I am noticing that stuff is being done in sections. So some areas are more busy with progress, but others have very little movement.

If you'd like to see the previous photo sets they can be found here by clicking on the links below:
Pics from 4/25/15
Pics from 6/20/15
Pics from 8/1/15
Pics from 9/19/15
Pics from 10/31/15
Pics from 1/9/16
Pics from 3/12/16
Pics from 4/16/16
Pics from 5/15/16

And if you'd like to see the ALL of NEW photos, you can click here

Now for the highlights..

Here's looking at Eastern Ave Station from Eastern Ave. Unlike the last time, the area is now all dug up again. Although it looks like some drainage work was done.

27818523582_335c62317b_c.jpg

---

Here's looking toward Eastern Ave Station from Cottage Street. The jersey barrier between the shared use path and the busway is complete.

27843193021_6972a51fa4_c.jpg

---

Here's looking into the busway toward Box District Station as seen from the Bellingham Street bridge. As I said above, everything is in sections, and this section hasn't had movement in a while.

27920149805_c4e9d5610c_c.jpg

---

New pavement over the drainage work done a few months ago near Library Street. The pavement runs just about to Box District Station

27885714886_ce9b2a22f1_c.jpg

---

Box District Station and where the new pavement ends. Not much going on here at all.

27818712662_a860ed4e0f_c.jpg

---

Here's where the action is. Retaining wall installation between Broadway and Washington Ave for the shared use path. This is looking from the Broadway bridge

27843358871_b435ba7cc5_c.jpg

---

This is where the shared use path will eventually meet the Broadway bridge (and have a pedestrian crosswalk across Broadway)

27843378971_ba735cc19b_c.jpg

---

A shot of the retaining wall installation from the completed side of the new Washington Ave bridge.

27920320705_009034e420_c.jpg

---

The continuing reconstruction of the Washington Ave bridge, as seen from the current CR platform.

27641979620_17874d5147_c.jpg

---

Finished retaining wall between Sixth Street and Spruce. Of course it now has graffiti.. *smh*

27843476401_939a6e895e_c.jpg

---

New railroad crossing gear is being installed at the Spruce street crossing

27642038040_c724f468a7_c.jpg

---

Finished retaining wall near MGH Chelsea. Looks like they will reclaim some of their parking lot back.

27843544091_ea65fc9787_c.jpg

---

A look from Everett Ave at the new retaining wall behind MGH Chelsea. I think that big ditch is going to be for drainage (since lighting posts are on the other side of the wall (as seen above)

27308343904_3b7003204f_c.jpg

---

Chelsea Station (ex-Mystic Mall Station). Not much going on here, it's mainly being used as a gravel pit/storage area for the project

27843091461_cc8b2b4fea_c.jpg

---

That's it. So lots of little changes and progress. More pics to come late July or Early August!

Last edited:
Cybah, thank you for taking the time to take these pictures and to post them here! I look forward to scrolling through them each month.

It looks like the newish developments along Gerrish Ave have two existing sidewalks which the community path will connect to. That will be great. Also the community path connection to the dead end of Chestnut street should be a great improvement. I can see that crazy triangle paved area in front of the fire station on Washington Street and Chestnut someday being converted into a bit of a piazza. It could be quite the space with great connections to the path and two silver line stations.

Hey All -

Sorry about the delay. Busy Summer. :)

The construction is really coming along. Like last time it's alot of small things here and there, enough to let you know that construction is moving along. However, I am noticing that stuff is being done in sections. So some areas are more busy with progress, but others have very little movement.

If you'd like to see the previous photo sets they can be found here by clicking on the links below:
Pics from 4/25/15
Pics from 6/20/15
Pics from 8/1/15
Pics from 9/19/15
Pics from 10/31/15
Pics from 1/9/16
Pics from 3/12/16
Pics from 4/16/16
Pics from 5/15/16

Now for the highlights..

Here's looking at Eastern Ave Station from Eastern Ave. Unlike the last time, the area is now all dug up again. Although it looks like some drainage work was done.

27818523582_335c62317b_c.jpg

---

Here's looking toward Eastern Ave Station from Cottage Street. The jersey barrier between the shared use path and the busway is complete.

27843193021_6972a51fa4_c.jpg

---

Here's looking into the busway toward Box District Station as seen from the Bellingham Street bridge. As I said above, everything is in sections, and this section hasn't had movement in a while.

27920149805_c4e9d5610c_c.jpg

---

New pavement over the drainage work done a few months ago near Library Street. The pavement runs just about to Box District Station

27885714886_ce9b2a22f1_c.jpg

---

Box District Station and where the new pavement ends. Not much going on here at all.

27818712662_a860ed4e0f_c.jpg

---

Here's where the action is. Retaining wall installation between Broadway and Washington Ave for the shared use path. This is looking from the Broadway bridge

27843358871_b435ba7cc5_c.jpg

---

This is where the shared use path will eventually meet the Broadway bridge (and have a pedestrian crosswalk across Broadway)

27843378971_ba735cc19b_c.jpg

---

A shot of the retaining wall installation from the completed side of the new Washington Ave bridge.

27920320705_009034e420_c.jpg

---

The continuing reconstruction of the Washington Ave bridge, as seen from the current CR platform.

27641979620_17874d5147_c.jpg

---

Finished retaining wall between Sixth Street and Spruce. Of course it now has graffiti.. *smh*

27843476401_939a6e895e_c.jpg

---

27642038040_c724f468a7_c.jpg

---

Finished retaining wall near MGH Chelsea. Looks like they will reclaim some of their parking lot back.

27843544091_ea65fc9787_c.jpg

---

A look from Everett Ave at the new retaining wall behind MGH Chelsea. I think that big ditch is going to be for drainage (since lighting posts are on the other side of the wall (as seen above)

27308343904_3b7003204f_c.jpg

---

Chelsea Station (ex-Mystic Mall Station). Not much going on here, it's mainly being used as a gravel pit/storage area for the project

27843091461_cc8b2b4fea_c.jpg

---

That's it. So lots of little changes and progress. More pics to come late July or Early August!

Since they are down there working, why isn't something being done about that graffiti on the old retaining wall?

You'd have thought that they would try to clean that up, or at least paint the wall to hide it! :eek:

Since they are down there working, why isn't something being done about that graffiti on the old retaining wall?

You'd have thought that they would try to clean that up, or at least paint the wall to hide it! :eek:

I think it's already been painted before.. look at this photo

27308291994_977a16676a_c.jpg

Im hoping once the lighting is done, it will be a deterrent for graffiti. But then again, my roommates car was just broken into again and his radio yanked out while parked on a main drag, I have a little faith.

I think it's already been painted before.. look at this photo

27308291994_977a16676a_c.jpg

Im hoping once the lighting is done, it will be a deterrent for graffiti. But then again, my roommates car was just broken into again and his radio yanked out while parked on a main drag, I have a little faith.

Same story for the new walls under the Rt 1 bridge in the photo... graffiti has been covered repeatedly. This area is the most notorious for graffiti in Chelsea.

Hey All -

Sorry about the delay, again. Busy Summer. :) But I'll redeem myself with this large update!

The construction is really coming along now. More so than last time. At least more noticable stuff since last time. Stuff like lighting, more pavement in sections, more grading, and generally just progress. I was pleasantly surprised to see so much work done since the last time I took photos in June.

Pics from 4/25/15
Pics from 6/20/15
Pics from 8/1/15
Pics from 9/19/15
Pics from 10/31/15
Pics from 1/9/16
Pics from 3/12/16
Pics from 4/16/16
Pics from 5/15/16
Pics from 6/26/16

Now for the highlights..

Here's looking at Eastern Ave Station from Eastern Ave. Unlike the last time, where the area was all dug up again, it's now fully graded and you can really see where the bus loop will be for Eastern Ave Station.

28923063886_1da4b757cc_c.jpg

---

Here's another look at the new grading at Eastern Ave Station.

28669384060_16c578ff6c_c.jpg

---

This is a common theme, electrical light posts. There's alot of them now appearing all along the project, and as you'll see below they still have more to install.

28669399330_f84d94a1c1_c.jpg

---

Here's looking into the busway toward Box District Station as seen from the Bellingham Street bridge. Notice the new electrical posts.

28669438350_4152f1a141_c.jpg

---

Construction gear as seen from the Bellingham Street bridge. My guess is this is what they use to put in the light posts with.

28850360132_22da1c4103_c.jpg

---

Another look at the construction gear as seen from Willow Street.

28850394462_58fb7c1a00_c.jpg

---

Not much going on here at Box District Station except minor electrical work. One side note, the power for the station looks like it's going to be drawn off the local power grid (not surprising), there was a cut n cover trench dug (and patch covered) that runs from a pole on Highland @ Library, down the nub end of Highland and into the station. (of course, I didn't get a picture of it)

28336311134_38d47f1f16_c.jpg

---

This is where the shared use path will eventually meet the Broadway bridge (and have a pedestrian crosswalk across Broadway). Its well graded now. I assume after the retaining wall is built on the other side (see next pictures), it will be built here next down to Box District Station.

28955141305_340980fc77_c.jpg

---

A shot looking into the busway toward Box District Station from the Broadway Bridge

28878719081_42d4f83eae_c.jpg

---

Looking toward the Washington Ave bridge from the Broadway bridge, with the new retaining wall for the shared use path being built on the left.

28878726311_a484be16bf_c.jpg

---

Another shot lookng toward the Washington Ave bridge from the Broadway bridge, with the retaining wall installation for the shared use path on center.

28878733621_face8edc65_c.jpg

---

28923349186_60e627b565_c.jpg

---

Lots of activity at Arlington @ Sixth. This entire intersection will be redone. In this shot, you can see the markings for the new curbing that will be installed to make Sixth a one way (toward the square).

28850606912_b584289bd5_c.jpg

---

In admist of barrels, here's some new markings to show where the new walkway will be.

28339137693_b3eae310d0_c.jpg

---

Looking up the busway toward Bellingham Square station, from Sixth @ Arlington. They've added some new pavement.

28669706570_45fa8e65d4_c.jpg

---

28669747730_2b6fe02776_c.jpg

---

Finished retaining wall between Sixth Street and Spruce. And the graffiti has been covered!

28923475566_d1a10c5273_c.jpg

---

28669815710_0cd5165d8e_c.jpg

---

Finished retaining wall near MGH Chelsea.

28850204342_67bce2f033_c.jpg

---

A look from Everett Ave at the new retaining wall behind MGH Chelsea. Mostly done, lighting included!

28850199352_0deb1148f7_c.jpg

---

Chelsea Station (ex-Mystic Mall Station). And like last time, not much going on here, as it's mainly being used as a gravel pit/storage area for the project

28923017836_3a63ebf946_c.jpg

---

That's it for now. So lots of changes and a ton of progress. More pics to come late Early/Mid September!

I really appreciate seeing these in-progress pictures, can't wait to see it all at completion.

Great pictures, is mid-2017 still the target for opening?

Im still confused as to how much of the bus lane is going to be 2-way because some of the underpasses look too pinched to have two lanes...

Only one bridge will be pinched to a single lane, and that is Broadway. Washington Ave is being replaced/widened for the busway.

The only other two bridges are Rt 1 (which is really, really wide) and Bellingham St (which is easily wide enough for two lanes).

Only one bridge will be pinched to a single lane, and that is Broadway. Washington Ave is being replaced/widened for the busway.

The only other two bridges are Rt 1 (which is really, really wide) and Bellingham St (which is easily wide enough for two lanes).

Here's the drawings of each underpass from the SEIR

Bellingham Street Bridge

28851155472_9e5f543139_c.jpg

Broadway Bridge

28851155122_fe9492e48b_c.jpg

Washington Ave (right) & US 1 Overpass (left)

17269894332_ea1b5e5b52_c.jpg

And yes, looking at an opening of Late Summer/Early Fall 2017

Update from Tom Ambrosino and the Massachusetts Department of Transportation:

Information on Washington Avenue Bridge

Silver Line Gateway Service to Chelsea, East Boston & the Blue Line

Chelsea – Silver Line Gateway Project

New Washington Avenue Bridge Opens September 14

Chelsea’s Washington Avenue Bridge, originally closed in May 2015, will reopen to two-way traffic on Wednesday, September 14. The bridge, which spans the existing commuter rail line and planned busway, was determined to be “functionally obsolete.” The completion of the new bridge is a major milestone for the Silver Line Gateway Project. The new bridge provides clearance for the commuter rail and two planned busway lanes to pass beneath it.

The replacement bridge was designed and constructed to the latest MassDOT Bridge Standards. It consists of two 11-foot travel lanes, a 4-foot shoulder on the east side, an 8-foot parking lane on the west side, and 9-foot sidewalks on both sides. McCourt Construction Company, the General Contractor, began construction in early 2015. The bridge, which was constructed in two stages, was closed in May 2015, and partially opened to emergency vehicles in January 2016. Construction has been substantially completed as of September 7, 2016. The bridge was initially to be closed for a period of not more than 700 days, and it was completed approximately 220 days ahead of schedule.

MassDOT thanks the City of Chelsea and community residents and businesses for their patience and understanding during the bridge closure and for the next few months. The sidewalk on the west side will remain closed while final elements are being constructed.

The Silver Line Gateway will follow the existing Silver Line route in the Seaport District, before providing a new connection to the Blue Line and East Boston residents at Airport Station. In Chelsea, the Silver Line Gateway will operate in a new dedicated busway built in the former Grand Junction railroad right of way (now owned by the Commonwealth). There will be four new stations built in the busway — Eastern Avenue, Box District, Bellingham Square, and Chelsea. In addition to the Commonwealth’s purchase of the Grand Junction right of way from CSX, the Silver Line Gateway is able to leverage other recent public infrastructure investments, such as the Chelsea Street Bridge, Massport's Coughlin Bypass Road, and Airport Station on the MBTA’s Blue Line.

A shared-use path will be incorporated into the project along the west side of the busway generally between Broadway and Eastern Avenue.

For questions or to report issues related to construction or detours, please contact Daniel Fielding, MassDOT Legislative Liaison, at 857-368-8959 or daniel.fielding@dot.state.ma.us.

For more information on the Silver Line Gateway Project, and detour maps/directions, please visit the Silver Line Gateway Project website: www.massdot.state.ma.us/silverlinegateway

Sorry if this has already been discussed before but when does silver line service start?

Back