Silver Line to Chelsea

Re: BOSFUEL

Why don't Logan fuel deliveries happen somewhere near the Logan ferry dock or near the south end of Harborside Drive?

Probably because someone thinks it is not a good idea to have fuel tankers sitting outside a 300 room hotel (Hyatt) for extended periods, just asking a terrorist to do their worst.

That reminds me, has anyone ever considered building façades around the tanks to make the area look nicer?

How much taller are the shipping containers that will be able to come in? When you watch the plane fly over Conley when a major ship is there, I can't believe the FAA would allow taller ships that are currently permitted.

I once had a flight that was delayed from DC because of a "cruise ship" in our flight path into Logan!

Probably because someone thinks it is not a good idea to have fuel tankers sitting outside a 300 room hotel (Hyatt) for extended periods, just asking a terrorist to do their worst.

Looking at the Google Street View images of Prescott St leads me to believe that jet fuel infrastructure doesn't need to be super high security. I think jet fuel is harder to get to burn than LNG, ethanol, or gasoline.

But if the priority is to handle fuel deliveries in an isolated area, why not build a ~2 mile pipeline to Apple Island or Governors Island along with suitable infrastructure there to offload fuel from ships?

Nonsense.

All the storage tanks are up on Chelsea Creek. That's why the deliveries go there. And there are a lot of hotels up there too, btw.

I wonder how much it would cost for Boston to throw up some wood facades that look like the modern architecture that's popping up everywhere. You could basically make it look like a neighborhood exists between Wood Island and Chelsea.

In dollars of self respect? Real families are being displaced in East Boston and Chelsea, there's a region-wide shortage of affordable residential units through a confluence of market forces and incompetent public policy, but the Commonwealth should invest in movie studio back-lot architecture on a transit right-of-way? In the language of my people, are you shitting me?

So yeah.

As I said in a previous post.. the best way to describe the SL3 is:

"When it's good, it's good. But when it's bad, it's really bad"

Today, was no exception. As you can see from my sheet, The AM was OK. But the PM...ouch.

40007855110_4b0dc3da3d_o.jpg

Yeah a bit of traffic in the tunnel, and then the bridge went up. Since it was raining and I had a seat, I didn't care. But what happened next is what got me.

We finally get over the bridge (mind you, we're pushin 20 minutes behind), and the driver turns around at Eastern Ave to the inbound stop and says "everyone out".

Uh.

So I asked the inspector lady here WHY would you do such a thing? Her reply "Well since the bridge went up, the driver is late so we have to short turn here".

Let me get this straight... traffic in a tunnel and a bridge that went up for 20 minutes, both of which you have no control so the bus is already late getting these passengers to their location because of said bridge and tunnel; And your solution here is just to dump the passengers off in the rain at Eastern Ave Station only to be told "oh there will be another one in a few" on a line that already has headway issues??

Got it!

That *screams* customer service. /snark

Yeah.. *flips hair back* Now, I want to speak to your manager.

Not kidding, I am going to raise holy hell about this. That is just not right.

It also supports my idea of offering a "Chelsea Shuttle" (Airport Station <-> Chelsea loop route) to supplement service.

My main issue with dumping people off is that there would be no "another one" for at least 7 or more minutes (more like 10). At least if there was a shuttle (even just one lone bus doing loops all day), it's something to get people where they want to go.

Regardless I still don't think the T should have just dumped everyone off there. The bus can do the entire loop in about 10 minutes (Eastern Ave <-> Chelsea) if it has no passenger delays. The bus is already late, so why make the passengers suffer?

And my other issue is if you can't let the guy get off schedule, then why don't you just add 2 more buses to the route to help with the off timings? It's pretty obvious the T is barely keeping its promised headway, and we could use 2 more buses to do so. Yet I see a dual mode bus being used for the Shuttle between SS and SLW instead of the 2 re-branded trackless trolley's sitting there at courthouse everyday.

And if not those, then see suggestion about a Chelsea Shuttle, those can be done with standard Silver Line livery (SL5 livery), or even some SL branded 40 footers. Again this is a super easy win, and provides options. (OK the SL3 is late, but this bus will take me to the blue line at least so I can keep moving.. kinda thought process). Plus frankly, it will give the appearance of actual service. Maybe not ideal service, but again.. options. People like options.

The T will have to do something. I know it's still early and I'm trying to be as fair as a I can, but I fear that if the service continues to have issues, it's going to be a hard sell as a alternative to local current bus routes.

Anyways /rant

^ how full was the bus? Could the next bus be expected to hold the passengers displaced?

^ how full was the bus? Could the next bus be expected to hold the passengers displaced?

The bus was fairly full.. atleast for the SL3. Most seats were taken. A couple of standees. I'd say ~40 or so people. A good number got on at Airport.

LOL.

Like a dark, cynical LOL.

Your 3 mi trip on the silver line from the Seaport to Chelsea took as long as my 30 mi trip on the Green + Commuter rail from Cambridge to Beverly.

You have my condolensces. God bless the MBTA.

LOL.

Like a dark, cynical LOL.

Your 3 mi trip on the silver line from the Seaport to Chelsea took as long as my 30 mi trip on the Green + Commuter rail from Cambridge to Beverly.

You have my condolensces. God bless the MBTA.

*shrug*

Still better than sardines in a can on the 111. This is how I look at it.

After riding the T for 20 years, I've realized, unless you're going within the same town, it's always going to be a 30-45 minutes trip no matter where you are going or how far you are. Its always the same.

The minute a ride gets outside of that 45 minute window is when I start to get frustrated.

The SL3 was pretty clutch today tbh. I got to work in 40 mins, far better than the hour it can take when I walk to Wood island.

*shrug*

Still better than sardines in a can on the 111. This is how I look at it.

After riding the T for 20 years, I've realized, unless you're going within the same town, it's always going to be a 30-45 minutes trip no matter where you are going or how far you are. Its always the same.

The minute a ride gets outside of that 45 minute window is when I start to get frustrated.

Maybe walk to Aquarium in the PM instead?

Not along the Orange or Red Lines. It takes 10 mins to go from downtown Boston to Wellington in Medford assuming that nothing goes wrong.

So yeah.

As I said in a previous post.. the best way to describe the SL3 is:

"When it's good, it's good. But when it's bad, it's really bad"

Today, was no exception. As you can see from my sheet, The AM was OK. But the PM...ouch.

40007855110_4b0dc3da3d_o.jpg

Yeah a bit of traffic in the tunnel, and then the bridge went up. Since it was raining and I had a seat, I didn't care. But what happened next is what got me.

We finally get over the bridge (mind you, we're pushin 20 minutes behind), and the driver turns around at Eastern Ave to the inbound stop and says "everyone out".

Uh.

So I asked the inspector lady here WHY would you do such a thing? Her reply "Well since the bridge went up, the driver is late so we have to short turn here".

Let me get this straight... traffic in a tunnel and a bridge that went up for 20 minutes, both of which you have no control so the bus is already late getting these passengers to their location because of said bridge and tunnel; And your solution here is just to dump the passengers off in the rain at Eastern Ave Station only to be told "oh there will be another one in a few" on a line that already has headway issues??

Got it!

That *screams* customer service. /snark

Yeah.. *flips hair back* Now, I want to speak to your manager.

Not kidding, I am going to raise holy hell about this. That is just not right.

It also supports my idea of offering a "Chelsea Shuttle" (Airport Station <-> Chelsea loop route) to supplement service.

My main issue with dumping people off is that there would be no "another one" for at least 7 or more minutes (more like 10). At least if there was a shuttle (even just one lone bus doing loops all day), it's something to get people where they want to go.

Regardless I still don't think the T should have just dumped everyone off there. The bus can do the entire loop in about 10 minutes (Eastern Ave <-> Chelsea) if it has no passenger delays. The bus is already late, so why make the passengers suffer?

And my other issue is if you can't let the guy get off schedule, then why don't you just add 2 more buses to the route to help with the off timings? It's pretty obvious the T is barely keeping its promised headway, and we could use 2 more buses to do so. Yet I see a dual mode bus being used for the Shuttle between SS and SLW instead of the 2 re-branded trackless trolley's sitting there at courthouse everyday.

And if not those, then see suggestion about a Chelsea Shuttle, those can be done with standard Silver Line livery (SL5 livery), or even some SL branded 40 footers. Again this is a super easy win, and provides options. (OK the SL3 is late, but this bus will take me to the blue line at least so I can keep moving.. kinda thought process). Plus frankly, it will give the appearance of actual service. Maybe not ideal service, but again.. options. People like options.

The T will have to do something. I know it's still early and I'm trying to be as fair as a I can, but I fear that if the service continues to have issues, it's going to be a hard sell as a alternative to local current bus routes.

Anyways /rant

Supervisors at Haymarket are also slick when they see a mob of people waiting for the 111 and they order the driver to change to 111C because of traffic/scheduling issues; that same bus is made to make a shorter trip to accommodate the T and not the passengers. Multiple times the Supervisors would nearly get whacked by older ladies and young folks 😂

Not along the Orange or Red Lines. It takes 10 mins to go from downtown Boston to Wellington in Medford assuming that nothing goes wrong.

Only way that happens is if Massport introduces an Eastern Ave - Airport loop. Or a Chelsea SL ROW- Airport loop. With 2-5 minute headway tops.

Maybe walk to Aquarium in the PM instead?

That was my old AM walk. 116/117 kinda sucks in the evening (over crowed) like the 111, and the 112 is to infrequent to miss. Could try to catch the SL3 at Airport but again, a crap shoot at best. TOo bad there's not a shuttle between Chelsea and Airport.. mmmhmmmm

Back