Simmons University Living and Learning Center | 300 Fenway | Longwood

kz1000ps

Reaction score
I'm not sure what's up with the conflicting renderings..

facilitiessomui9.jpg

Rendering looking south

To further support the integration of undergraduate and graduate management programs, as well as interdisciplinary collaboration, the Simmons administration has approved plans for a new building to house the School of Management on the main campus. When completed, this project will expand underground parking, replace current above-ground parking with a grassy quad, and unify the main campus for the first time in Simmons's history.

The College is seeking Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Silver Certification by the United States Green Building Council for this building. Currently, only 11 buildings in Massachusetts are LEED certified?only one of which is located in Boston. Only two other institutions of higher education in Massachusetts have LEED certified buildings.

* Numerous high-tech classrooms
* Additional administrative oaces
* Seminar and case rooms
* Other multi-use rooms
* More than 800 underground parking spaces
* Central grassy quad with paths to connect campus buildings
Also, a pdf pertaining to Cannon and Payton Construction: http://www.payton-construction.com/PDFs/PressSimmons.pdf

big site, this is looking north

their new library is the yellow brick/green glass structure to the right, completed last year

Re: Simmons College

I knew Simmons just submitted a masterplan recently, but I had no idea they were already building.

You're on the ball, as always, kz1000ps. Thanks for posting these.

I read/heard somewhere that this is a 5 up and 5 down structure with 5 stories of below grade parking topped by mixed use space to include class & Lab space.
The Library built by Lee Kennedy is a cool space I have been on a tour thru it right before final turnover. LEED Silver I think, but possibly Gold

4/27.. not much going on visually, but it looks like the garage/substructure is all done

482366205_a74347a4e9_b.jpg

Steel has really sprouted up in the last month

img3309ot5.jpg

(that's just the camera lens making the columns look all bendy)

img3312pz1.jpg

Today

img1668hy3.jpg

img1669ig8.jpg

img1677sg3.jpg

img1679lw9.jpg

img1680fc0.jpg

looking north, this is where the central quad will eventually be

img1682fa6.jpg

The exterior isn't too bad, but the windows throw it off for some reason. I can't really explain why, but the thing looks hideous from a distance, yet the "brickwork" is actually somewhat pleasing close up.

KZ, you've done a great job with the pics. Thank you!

With that said, I actually like this..looks pretty original.

The construction materials do look to be of high quality, but the design execution seems to have spun out of control. There seems to be no unifying composition.

I agree. The rounded rooftop enclosure doesn't relate to anything else, and I'm not a fan of the black glass/bright blue metal/buff brick. It's a putrid color combination.

Why do the exterior mockups look nothing like the finished exterior?

Boy oh boy did that look better in the renderings...

It was a better cheap box in the renderings

Back