the cafe addition is quite handsome

img1230yh3.jpg

img1231nn9.jpg

img1233mi9.jpg

img1236tm9.jpg

img1237ty9.jpg

img1238pw2.jpg

Re: Simmons College

This is a winner. I didn't even see that addition in the first pic of the courtyard. Very nice.

They didn't skimp on the materials but I question the decision to trash the signature building's symmetry.

I think that turned out pretty well, wonder what the inside looks like. The color choice is rather 1950s-high-school though.

The brick is the wrong shade and scale compared to the other buildings, the stone will look better with weathering, and the metal paneling/window mullions should have been copper or anodized green to match the existing buildings. The design is passable, the material palette really screwed up what could have been a harmonious composition.

You are right but copper would have cost more. I'd forgive the architects if it was value engineered out but I don't think it was even in the original design.

Those single windows with the blue above are beyond terrible. Definately the feel of a 1950's high school.Other than that, its aight.

10/26:

img2890.jpg

A solid 75% of what you see was built in this decade alone:

img2892k.jpg

The addition in the first photo looks like it was built in 1963.

Not a fan of how the addition affected the building's symmetry, but I'm absolutely in love with how the architects revived the best of Modernism. They did a really amazing job.

Anyone with subscription?

The article certainly leads to something significant, but could be just click bait.

The Newmark article states that the site is located at 300 The Fenway. It's a large parcel (7 acres) right next to the Gardner Museum, according to assessing: http://app01.cityofboston.gov/ParcelViewer/?pid=0401842000

This could be quite interesting.

Isn't that pretty much all of Simmons? Other boarder would be BLS, so not sure if that would limit anything on the parcel. I would think they would need to tear down existing buildings to do anything meaningful.

Is that parking lot and grassy area between Simmons and BLS part of Simmons or BLS?

Back