Simmons University Living and Learning Center | 300 Fenway | Longwood

"The $77 million bond sale will allow Simmons to move and upgrade its science center, a project that is expected to be complete in the fall of 2022, Drinan said.
Eventually, Simmons plans to raze the current science center and build dorms and classrooms there, as part of a move to consolidate the university’s Brookline Avenue operations onto its main campus, she said.
The construction of the residential tower will be a separate project planned for after 2022 that Simmons officials expect to be financed through a land swap with a private developer, Drinan said."

A land swap with a private developer?

"The $77 million bond sale will allow Simmons to move and upgrade its science center, a project that is expected to be complete in the fall of 2022, Drinan said.
Eventually, Simmons plans to raze the current science center and build dorms and classrooms there, as part of a move to consolidate the university’s Brookline Avenue operations onto its main campus, she said.
The construction of the residential tower will be a separate project planned for after 2022 that Simmons officials expect to be financed through a land swap with a private developer, Drinan said."

A land swap with a private developer?

I'm not sure what makes it a "land swap" - I thought they were just selling half the campus.

BCDC presentation:

1582752263180.png

It's unclear to me whether "Post BCDC massing" or "Proposed Massing" is the current plan?

I believe "Proposed Massing" would be the current plan. "Post BCDC" implies to me that BCDC left remarks on what needed changes, they reflected that they made those changes, and then made further changes (likely with Simmons) and illustrated them with "Proposed Massing."

---

I'm sure it will be a nice building to live in, but gosh, this building has nothing really going for it from the outside..

If the red part is brick itll look ok in real life. If it is they should use it on the back too.

I am no architect, but why do all these Elkus buildings in Boston look the same? They have designed a few nice things here in NYC.

It looks like the Emannuel College dorm a bit from certain angles. It looks like the YMCA dorm on Huntington except red instead of orange/yellowish.

It looks like the Emannuel College dorm a bit from certain angles. It looks like the YMCA dorm on Huntington except red instead of orange/yellowish.

I am reminded of the Lightview/Northeastern Dorm on Columbus.

I think this angle has potential depending on if its real brick or not. Its not groundbreaking but I feel that in real life it will look fine fitting in with its brick surroundings. I like how the horizontal lines drop out to form the crown as well.

Any guesses on what will be built on Simmons vacated residential campus after this is built? If combined with BU's underutilized former Wheelock campus it would be an enormous development site.

Back