Site Issues

Were there any issues in the last 24 hours? (Wed Sept 22 2021) I got errors on and off for several hours.

(Also, is there a better place to raise questions about issues like this?)

@SkyriseCities, I'm finding that the search functionality (button at the upper right hand corner) no longer works comprehensively. It seems to only be able to retrieve posts dating to last week's outage or newer. Posts from prior to Sept 22, 2021, are no longer retrievable via search (at least by me).

There's a couple things I have noticed. One is that the "stats" on the front hasn't seemed to change for a long time. This is what I am referring to:
1641505211381.png

It says that member nottheproducer joined February 3, 2021. There are definitely members who are newer than that, for example the one below, so clearly this snapshot is stuck in time.
1641505281603.png

Another issue is that moderator "George_Apley" hasn't been active since last April. (hopefully he's OK but that's also a surname based on this so who knows who it really is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Late_George_Apley ) That user is in charge of the Archboston awards section, which never got past the nomination stage (there was supposed to be "voting" 6-8 months ago). I'm wondering if they are also in charge of the forum statistics. Either way, some of these things are stuck, and it would be good to feel like the site is still being maintained by people who are actually here.

George did back off for personal reasons. Not sure when he's returning. Looking into the stats.

There's a couple things I have noticed. One is that the "stats" on the front hasn't seemed to change for a long time. This is what I am referring to:
View attachment 20280

It says that member nottheproducer joined February 3, 2021. There are definitely members who are newer than that, for example the one below, so clearly this snapshot is stuck in time.
View attachment 20281

Another issue is that moderator "George_Apley" hasn't been active since last April. (hopefully he's OK but that's also a surname based on this so who knows who it really is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Late_George_Apley ) That user is in charge of the Archboston awards section, which never got past the nomination stage (there was supposed to be "voting" 6-8 months ago). I'm wondering if they are also in charge of the forum statistics. Either way, some of these things are stuck, and it would be good to feel like the site is still being maintained by people who are actually here.

The new member function is working again. Thanks for catching that @DZH22

FYI: The issue I had reported earlier related to watched threads and forums not triggering notifications is fixed as of today! Not sure what changed.

The system decided to take a break. The above fix fixed a bunch of things.

Fun landing page today:
1645721683835.png

I have a suspicion that if this isn't a bug, something with dark mode capabilities may have been turned on? i.e. My OS and Browser operate in dark mode, so websites that have the capability automatically switch to dark mode? Though I'm not noticing it anywhere else on the site.

A few times now I’ve been perusing threads with my phone and haven’t been able to see thread titles due to ads. See below for an example.

262A5C37-6CF8-42DD-B155-4663059CD19C.png

Can anything be done about this?

I couldn’t access for last 2 days. Just got access this afternoon.

There's also a Facebook group too FWIW. I have to say, even though it was only down for like 36 hours and it's unfortunate seeing the downside of our piggybacking to the current ownership. Because we're piggyback with them, we the necessary technological support as we're on the same system as them. But in the end, we're still just piggybacking. Their main site going down means announcements and updates to their community, we have to sus out the situation connecting the dots between the ownership and how it is all hosted.

Back