Sky Tower Everett | 114 Spring Street | Everett

Blackbird

Reaction score
To be fair, it'd be shorter than nearby One Mystic.

areiss

Reaction score
I’ll just leave this here:

"The building property is currently an underused industrial site at 114 Spring St., along 2nd Street and nearly one mile from the new Chelsea commuter rail station that is under construction. The Sky Everett site could eventually be on a Silver Line rapid-transit bus route if the Silver Line gets extended into Everett as proposed."

stoweker

Reaction score
I'll take a $1,000 bet with 2:1 payout that this never, ever gets built. You're trying to tell me that a PR guy partnered with a southie condo flipper to build a 21 story residential tower in the middle of an industrial wasteland 3 blocks off of route 16 is ever going to get any sort of money to build? NFW, see ya in never-never land.

stoweker

Reaction score
Not sure if currently, but it looks like the plan is to build out the entire area. From the article:

View attachment 10770
and i plan on building and living in a replica of versailles but that doesn't mean it's going to happen. everett will fill in some in the long run - i mean path of progress right - but it won't be with high rise development or ground floor retail that's not like billy's beef shop. that triangle has access issues and the unit economics won't support high rise.

I mean my understanding is that when one north of boston was sold it was a really challenging process for Redgate to sell an institutional property in chelsea - and that's arguably much better located with tobin bridge and adjacent rail access.

Equilibria

Reaction score
That is in the middle of a dumpy industrial area. Any other nearby projects?

Maybe your argument is that none of this happens, but this proposal is not out of left field.

Hydrobus

Reaction score
and i plan on building and living in a replica of versailles but that doesn't mean it's going to happen. everett will fill in some in the long run - i mean path of progress right - but it won't be with high rise development or ground floor retail that's not like billy's beef shop. that triangle has access issues and the unit economics won't support high rise.

I mean my understanding is that when one north of boston was sold it was a really challenging process for Redgate to sell an institutional property in chelsea - and that's arguably much better located with tobin bridge and adjacent rail access.
This is not a speculative long term plan. Its happening now. The area has OK to poor transit. But its the only place near Boston that is allowing large scale development and so far that seems to be enough. Everett is the short term future of urbanism in the region. Woburn is the longer term hot spot. But thats for a different thread.

stoweker

Reaction score

Maybe your argument is that none of this happens, but this proposal is not out of left field.
literally none of those deals are anywhere near the sponsor's site. whole different market. those are also all type 1 construction stick deals, not high rise. 21 story building is never ever going to happen here, this is DOA before it even started.

kjdonovan

Reaction score
Yeah it won't ever be Assembly level of activity, but I could see this being another Station Landing. And that's not the worst thing in the world.

JumboBuc

Reaction score
I applaud the gumption.

We need people to stick their necks out a bit, put forward bold plans, and go beyond the low resistance option. That’s how our cities were built in the first place and it’s the only way out of our current across-the-board high-cost for low-quality situation.

dshoost88

Reaction score
The pin for "Second & Vine" is bit far north. The development is centered a bit further south (see below pic for reference):

I've noted this on the 1690 Revere Beach Parkway thread and Elan Everett thread last Fall: the intensity of new development happening in this corner of Everett is perhaps the most under-the-radar transformation in our region. Add to the mix the SLX study underway and the City of Everett's Opportunity Zone designation for this 100-acre master plan area, there will continue to be more development announcements here through the decade.

I think what I like most about all of these announced, under-construction, and recently opened projects in this corner of Everett is the developer diversification. While HYM is taking on the beast of a project at Suffolk Downs, Everett (and Chelsea) appear on track to accomplish a comparable scale of new development in a similarly-sized land area, all with multiple stakeholders/beneficiaries.