Somerville Infill and Small Developments

Was eating in Union square last night.
They seem to be doing drainage/sewerage work in the middle of the square. They've closed down the right filter lane from somerville ave to Stone ave (outside el Poitro) and the traffic doesn't seem to be hugely impacted.
Is there any chance that they wont put this filter lane back when finished and instead, extend the pedestrian area?

I need to get a picture, but the construction at the old Johnny D's in Somerville now has steel rising above ground (went up fast - I was gone for two weeks and was shocked to see a floor complete when I got home).

This is what's going in:
05tgwSK.jpg

Looks like Condos with two ground level retail spaces. According to this site, looks like one of the retail spots is already locked up.

Also, Dragon Pizza in Davis (in the former Christo's spot) is open and it's amazing. I've been twice and it's by far my favorite pizza in the Boston area. Davis finally has good pizza.

It certainly took them long enough. They've been working on that site since the start of the year, if I remember correctly.

God, I miss Johnny D's.

Now, how about the Teele Square hole? Is that still there?

Now, how about the Teele Square hole? Is that still there?

Well, now that the weeds, overgrowth, and trash have nearly filled it in, I guess you could say it's not there anymore.

they did a shadow study on a 4 story bed and breakfest?

how many rooms? 20?

The lot at Somerville and Park has a lot of contamination. The earlier plans for residential went nowhere because the developers couldn’t make the numbers work for a completed decontamination. If you look carefully, you can see the access and use restriction for a portion of the parking lot.

Gotta love the boring architecture though ...also am I reading this right, its zoned for 9 parking spaces but has 3 offsite spaces? if so even better.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xda1GJ2N0h0"]https://www.youtube.com/v/Xda1GJ2N0h0[/flash]

On a side note, I have a friend who is leaving messages on Mayor Curtatone's facebook page regarding the redevelopment of Union Square. He's a local business owner in the area, and a nice guy. But he's also a gentrifist who literally believes that he's standing up to gentrification. He's going off about how the city is unfairly taking land by eminent domain in order to build luxury units. Ironically enough, gentrification has benefited him greatly. He's the epitome of what a gentrified Somervillian looks like. He's actually a gentrifist minstrel show.

And NOW he's worried about his future in Union Square? He was fine going on these social media screeds where he would say "if you're poor, then that's really you're fault." Now, he's freaking out? He's telling the mayor "no more overpriced boxed condos." He was fine three years ago when this was all going on.

But that's the thing about gentrification. It's fun being on the guest list to a really cool party. Until you're not.

Back