Somerville Infill and Small Developments

Prominent Builders Begins Work on Somerville Project​

“Prominent Builders, a full-service construction management company with more than 80 years of combined experience in the construction industry, has broken ground on a mixed-use project at 2-4 Alpine Street in Somerville. The upcoming 4-story building will include 26 residential units along with 1,384 square feet of commercial space. Taylor Harrington, President & CEO of Prominent Builders tells BLDUP, “Our group has actively moved toward passive house building in an effort to bring environmentally conscious products to the market. We currently have 5 active Passive House Projects ongoing in Somerville with two in the pipeline for late 24’ and 25’.””

AD_4nXfg22tGs0eTdAQm01ASD9kItXkzB_Jzu37EAexVHgNaY4luVE6snOJ7U80pkONFzunImvH85anJXgTk6_VouhHNtxd030CoWXz5O7Sc67wvz0Mb9u3jdsr3Hl0akdyhzuLs78HxXAxpOeoBL2_QEWRw7ZE

https://www.bldup.com/posts/prominent-builders-begins-work-on-somerville-project

Prominent Builders Begins Work on Somerville Project​

“Prominent Builders, a full-service construction management company with more than 80 years of combined experience in the construction industry, has broken ground on a mixed-use project at 2-4 Alpine Street in Somerville. The upcoming 4-story building will include 26 residential units along with 1,384 square feet of commercial space. Taylor Harrington, President & CEO of Prominent Builders tells BLDUP, “Our group has actively moved toward passive house building in an effort to bring environmentally conscious products to the market. We currently have 5 active Passive House Projects ongoing in Somerville with two in the pipeline for late 24’ and 25’.””

AD_4nXfg22tGs0eTdAQm01ASD9kItXkzB_Jzu37EAexVHgNaY4luVE6snOJ7U80pkONFzunImvH85anJXgTk6_VouhHNtxd030CoWXz5O7Sc67wvz0Mb9u3jdsr3Hl0akdyhzuLs78HxXAxpOeoBL2_QEWRw7ZE

https://www.bldup.com/posts/prominent-builders-begins-work-on-somerville-project
This corner of the community path is really becoming a nice little residential square with 3 projects completed semi-recently and 2 more under active construction - so fun to see bike-path-oriented development!

Building it without on-site parking is quite a contrast with the project on the other side of the bike path.

This corner of the community path is really becoming a nice little residential square with 3 projects completed semi-recently and 2 more under active construction - so fun to see bike-path-oriented development!
Unless you live in Gilman Sq., whose residents the city apparently hates. Once the pop-up "park" is closed in a few weeks, we'll be back to an empty trash-filled lot that could easily support 2-4 mult-use buildings (but why build more residential and retail/dining in the most densely populated city in the NE that's in dire need of housing?).

Was looking through the Somerville development page, and came across this piece of work by some a$$hole neighbors who don't want a church to operate a homeless shelter.

Wow. The details in their argument there make it all even worse.

The neighbors say this kind of variance is only allowed if it's for a "religiously significant goal." And then these sad people just assume that helping the poor somehow can't be religiously significant for a Christian church. They specifically say the "Homeless Shelter is not promoting religious values that align with the Church."

What assholes

Is there any reason to believe that this accusation is true, or is it as bad-faith an argument as it sounds?
I don't know anything more about these groups than what I'm reading in the documents, so I can't help there. But I kinda want to stress just how nakedly bad-faith these arguments are.

The complaining neighbors are claiming the church will get "great financial gain" by working with a local non-profit to turn some church space into a homeless shelter. Hunh? Short of outright fraud, how do you make big bucks running a homeless shelter? That's some giant BS, and the neighbors don't explain. They point to the costs of the renovations and then, I guess, assume no one would spend that kind of money unless it was for financial gain.... therefore this is for financial gain?

The most generous explanation of their argument is this: the church isn't really going to be running a homeless shelter. They are leasing space to Somerville Homeless Coalition, and SHC will be running the homeless shelter. Because the church is leasing out the space, this is nothing more than a financial agreement, same as any other landlord renting space to a tenant for a profit.

But that's crap. For religious reasons, the church wants to run a homeless shelter, so they're pooling resources with a non-profit to do that. The church has the space, and is putting in the money for appropriate renovations. SHC has the expertise and will run day to day operations. Homeless people will stay on church property. The church is providing food, supplies, and volunteers from the congregation. The jackass neighbors are pointing to any of this resource pooling as some evidence that money is changing hands in a nefarious way. But no. This is two groups working together on a homeless shelter. The only thing we can learn from the fact that there is a long term lease is that the church wants to run the shelter long term. Good for them.

(Just bleakly funny, but the neighbors' full complaint also has this gem: they don't think a homeless shelter serves any "religious purpose" as required for the zoning law they're arguing about. But they give an example of what the law would allow. A parking lot. The neighbors would have no problem if the church was building more parking spaces, because that serves an obvious religious purpose. But not a homeless shelter..... Jesus.....)

I don't know anything more about these groups than what I'm reading in the documents, so I can't help there. But I kinda want to stress just how nakedly bad-faith these arguments are.

The complaining neighbors are claiming the church will get "great financial gain" by working with a local non-profit to turn some church space into a homeless shelter. Hunh? Short of outright fraud, how do you make big bucks running a homeless shelter? That's some giant BS, and the neighbors don't explain. They point to the costs of the renovations and then, I guess, assume no one would spend that kind of money unless it was for financial gain.... therefore this is for financial gain?

The most generous explanation of their argument is this: the church isn't really going to be running a homeless shelter. They are leasing space to Somerville Homeless Coalition, and SHC will be running the homeless shelter. Because the church is leasing out the space, this is nothing more than a financial agreement, same as any other landlord renting space to a tenant for a profit.

But that's crap. For religious reasons, the church wants to run a homeless shelter, so they're pooling resources with a non-profit to do that. The church has the space, and is putting in the money for appropriate renovations. SHC has the expertise and will run day to day operations. Homeless people will stay on church property. The church is providing food, supplies, and volunteers from the congregation. The jackass neighbors are pointing to any of this resource pooling as some evidence that money is changing hands in a nefarious way. But no. This is two groups working together on a homeless shelter. The only thing we can learn from the fact that there is a long term lease is that the church wants to run the shelter long term. Good for them.

(Just bleakly funny, but the neighbors' full complaint also has this gem: they don't think a homeless shelter serves any "religious purpose" as required for the zoning law they're arguing about. But they give an example of what the law would allow. A parking lot. The neighbors would have no problem if the church was building more parking spaces, because that serves an obvious religious purpose. But not a homeless shelter..... Jesus.....)
To that neighbor: "Bless your heart" with that particular Southern tone.

Because you'd rather they sleep in Davis Square or...?

Update: https://www.cambridgeday.com/2024/0...ll-be-heard-on-wednesday-by-somerville-board/

Looks like this appeal isn't going anywhere. Two of the more risible quotes:

“Educational purposes of a project should not be construed so broadly to avoid improper extension of exemptions of zoning regulations,” said the group’s attorney, Anne Vigorito of Richard D. Gi Girolamo Attorneys at Law, at the ZBA meeting. “In plain English, just because it’s a church doesn’t mean they get to say, ‘Our mission is to help the homeless.’”

Umm... Anne... in plain English that is like 99% of the teachings of Jesus Christ, so yes, a church is allowed to say that.

“It is not unreasonable to ask to be a party to the conversation that adds 26 new residents to the neighborhood – this would be the expectation for an apartment building or a hotel.”

26 NEW RESIDENTS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?! OMG THE SKY IS FALLING! EVERYBODY RUN!

Unreal. I really wonder how many of these good, upstanding Somervillians view themselves as the virtuous players in the fight against the causes of homelessness...and then oppose this specific project that should, by any reasonable interpretation, be exempt from zoning regs. I couldn't create a more perfect, distilled version of left NIMBYism in a lab if I tried.

I couldn't find the letter from the group that opposes the church's plan (and I wouldn't share it here if I could) but I think local news should absolutely name the folks who are going out of their way to put their opposition into the public record. This is a lefty church in Somerville taking the logic step of housing DISABLED HOMELESS PEOPLE and that's apparently a bridge too far. It's parody, all the way down.

EDIT: the names of the appellants are findable with some Googling. Worth remembering exactly who are opponents of addressing homelessness and religious freedom and are willing to attest to as much.

Back