Somerville Infill and Small Developments

Oh Sumah-ville, my Sumah-ville!
The people here are pissah!

39 Chester, Davis Sq. Renovation and addition larger than the original house, very nice.
Before. https://www.google.com/maps/@42.394...4!1sPtq1JV3NImdIIzXVPwADWg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
39 CHESTER.jpg
DSC_0015.jpeg
DSC_0001 .jpeg
DSC_0012.jpeg

This picture shows 105/107 (the building going up) and 103 (the dirt in the foreground) Washington street.

105/107 replaced an old residential 3 story (not a triple decker, maybe a philly style?) and 103 replaced a car mechanics. Both are becoming X-over-1 mixed use.

The steel took months - they had a team of like 3 people and a hand-cranked crane that lifted the beams (looked like something home-made out of an engine jack), and only did 1 beam a day on average.

103 is trapped in limbo where the city won't let them put the electrical transformer in front of the building, but eversource won't let them put it behind the building. They are currently planning on using one set of transformers to provide power to both lots, but that's caused a lot of backroom wrangling (The 103 developers actually purchased the 105 development in the process).

IMG_20200223_084108492_HDR - Copy.jpg

This picture shows 105/107 (the building going up) and 103 (the dirt in the foreground) Washington street.

105/107 replaced an old residential 3 story (not a triple decker, maybe a philly style?) and 103 replaced a car mechanics. Both are becoming X-over-1 mixed use.

The steel took months - they had a team of like 3 people and a hand-cranked crane that lifted the beams (looked like something home-made out of an engine jack), and only did 1 beam a day on average.

103 is trapped in limbo where the city won't let them put the electrical transformer in front of the building, but eversource won't let them put it behind the building. They are currently planning on using one set of transformers to provide power to both lots, but that's caused a lot of backroom wrangling (The 103 developers actually purchased the 105 development in the process).

View attachment 3674
Thanks for the info. I presumed they were just dragging their heels to coincide with the t station opening.

Looks pretty nice. If I am not mistaken, one of the first recreational marijuana dispensaries (Other two licences are in Winter Hill and Davis) is a part of this development. Correct me if I am wrong.
Who knows I’m too stoned........ HA!

Who knows I’m too stoned........ HA!
Yes this would have the pot shop. Other locations are the vacated storefronts by Tenoch in Davis Square and in some Center Street storefronts in the old Italian wedding hall building in Spring Hill that now has ONCE/Cuisine en Locale.

Wow where's that tucked away? East Somerville by Mystic Ave?

It's the back side of the Stop+Shop parking lot development. Those shots are looking up Cross St. E

The front of the building is in post #667 (Also pics by Javier, thanks for taking them).

Does anyone know what is going to be built next to 467 Somerville avenue?
53D3CA4F-21D6-48BF-8F18-978A69F9E39A.jpeg
4BC4D864-C666-4316-BBCB-8156893E8083.jpeg
A5B1A1B3-44BB-447F-9EB1-9F14A3CCE934.jpeg

Is this architectural style named yet? Im seeing this style popping up everywhere lately with new large apartment buildings. Youre seeing different pastel colors, multiple colors on the same building, with white paneling, exterior has vinyl siding appearance, overhangs on the roof, and the different colors are separated into individual large chunks of color.

Heres the buckley in framingham. Same style, different colors. Pretty cool because its becoming a defining look of this time period that youll be able to point to in the future when coming across one of these apartment buildings. I enjoy phases like this that group different styles into time periods like the back bay rowhouses, the southie projects, or the dorchester triple deckers. When you see them they wear the time period they were built on their exterior. It appears were in another one now.
buckley_framingham__aprile.jpg

Last edited:

Back