Somerville Planning Department

prescott

Reaction score
Here's a question. :?:

What's going on with the planning department in Somerville? The staff is leaving in droves, there's a proposal for an up to 4 year waiting period for condo conversions plus new fees on the books, and Assembly Square is still the best place in Boston to pick up some lumber AND some heroin.

The city seems hellbent on ensuring nothing noteworthy, or at least capable of generating some desperately needed tax revenue, is ever built here. If Cambridge can revitalize itself, why can't Somerville?

Is there any hope?

Probably the same reason so many people are leaving the CIA and other federal jobs, bad leadership. I don't know anything about the Mayor or anyother Somerville official but I'm sure there is someone up top pissing off a lot of people.

Prescott unfortunately the planning department has suffered under this administration as much or more than any other department. A malaise has taken hold there and all the initiative to move commercial development along has pretty much stalled. This administration seems hell bent on creating more and more condo complexes that number in the several hundred and to sacrifice commercial space to do it. The recent removal of the head of the housing department and his new role as ?assistant to the director of the office of strategic planning? should give you an idea as to where this administration wants to go. Huge condo complexes! They really don't want to the small homeowner to turn a big profit on his or her two or three family house but if want to build 400 units? Have at it!

The Boynton yards project is just the latest example of this entire ?condo craze?. The city wants to let a developer build 200+ units on the site of two NEW commercial buildings, (I won?t even bore you with the ?Max Pack? BS). Creating more housing stock is a good idea, but to do it at the expense of the commercial and industrial tax base is just poor planning. Planners have told the administration this but it has fallen on deaf ears. The easy tax benefits of full complexes are just too much for the city to resist. Soon Somerville will be stocked up with marginally built condos on ground that was meant for business and they will never be able to get it back. Well maybe in a few decades when the poorly constructed developments start to have major problems and we have another major episode of people leaving the city like we did back here in the seventies some of those units will be vacant long enough for them to be removed. I?ve seen this movie before and I know how it ends, it?s not pretty.

The ironic thing is the city brought in a great guy by the name of Jim Kostaras to head the entire planning and development end of things and he was charged with selling the city. Well the city got sold all right, sold out from under us. Taking the easy way out has turned out to be a trade mark of this city and not just with this administration. Trust me, in ten years or less you?ll see hundreds if not thousands of units going up in our last commercial space, the Inner Belt/ Brickbottom area. Instead of fixing the obvious problems with that area for the business community they?ll let it go to the condo developers and run every business out of there and create another ?neighborhood? like the station landing in Medford. The best part is, they?ll end up fixing the problems for the Condo developers.

Just to be clear, I really don't have problem with condos, but I do have a problem with condos at the expense of the commercial tax base. Its so small in this city to begin with making it smaller isn't really going to help in the long run.

I don't understand the dynamics of this situation. Are commercial spaces more proffitable for the city than residential? Doesn't Somerville already function at least somewhat as a bedroom community for Boston workers? Doesn't it make sense for Somerville to respond to high housing prices and a housing shortage by building housing? Mind you, I'm all for mixed-use development/scattering work places throughout the neighborhoods, and shoddy construction is still shoddy construction, but this doesn't seem like a bad strategy. Perhaps the city is making reasonable planning decisions while still making the planning department a miserable place to work?

^residences fill up with residents, who consume city services like schools. Commercial property is levied at a higher rate and doesn't weigh heavily on a municipal budget. If you have a high ratio of residential property to commercial property, residential tax rates get ugly. Somerville's commercial tax base is valued in the hundreds of millions of dollars. Cambridge's commercial tax base is valued in the tens of billions. The city budgets are similarly lop-sided.

One caveat -one and two bedroom condos in big luxury buildings don't attract families, and thus don't require schools. A big fancy tower filled with small condos would be revenue positive for a city, but new housing suitable for families in a City like Somerville (which has very low residential property tax rates, relatively speaking) is revenue negative.

If Cambridge can revitalize itself, why can't Somerville?

What!? Have you been to Davis Square lately? I think we all need to remember what Somerville was like 10 years ago then reassess our feelings about the extent of its revitalization.

Ok, there were about 5 different threads this could have gone in but this ancient one is probably the best fit. :|

Banker & Tradesman - May 4, 2009
A Return To Transit

By Paul McMorrow
Banker & Tradesman Staff Writer

05/04/09

Somerville came of age as a streetcar suburb. Cheap, widely available mass transit ignited a construction boom. Then the streetcars faded, and highways severed the city?s neighborhoods. Now, city planners want to use the coming subway expansions to knit the town back together again. Assembly Square ? one of the few large-scale projects in the state still moving forward ? is just the beginning.

Monica Lamboy

Title: Executive Director, Somerville Office of Strategic Planning and Community Development

Experience: 2 Years in Somerville

Education: Princeton, BSE in civil engineering. UC Berkeley, masters in city and regional planning

You?ve called this a ?transformational moment? for Somerville. Why is that?
Somerville was originally built around transit. There were as many as 17 different stations. It?s a very dense street pattern, there are narrow streets, lots of houses, and the people who lived here would walk to transit to get to work. Then the transit was taken away and the automobile became quite dominant, and it?s not been a totally easy fit. So reintroducing transit to Somerville through the Green Line extension, and the Orange Line at Assembly Square, and the Urban Ring, is helping us get back to enjoying the riches that were here before. At the same time we see it as enhancing the quality of life for residents; we also see it as a launching point to stimulate the local economy. There have been a number of areas of the city, largely in the eastern sector, that are, by all accounts, under-utilized ? it?s low-scale development, very auto- or truck-dominated, that, when we imagine a train station coming in, we can see an opportunity to change that for the better.

Is Davis Square the model for the type of transformation you?re trying to effect?
Davis is a terrific model in a lot of ways, and also a learning opportunity at the same time. The Red Line station and the active neighborhood have made Davis Square a great place to be. It?s clearly a regional destination. That?s the upside of transit. On the other hand, we have seen prices rise, and some businesses are having a hard time finding space to expand. They may start and innovate here, but if they can?t grow to the size they need to, they?re going to have to look elsewhere. So that?s the cautionary note. How do you still allow enough growth and expansion so that people can stay in the same neighborhood they started in?

So how do you take those lessons and apply them, in a planning framework, to the projects underway now?
In the Union Square rezoning, we tried to create the kinds of wonderful dynamic mixes we saw in Davis Square. We put in pedestrian-oriented uses required in certain areas. We looked at the storefront widths, and we?re encouraging a continuation of that pattern. On the other hand, we are allowing greater heights and greater floor-area ratio than you see elsewhere in Somerville to date. The heights range from 55 [feet] to 70, 100, and 135. And the floor area scales up at the same time. With the housing component, we?re requiring an increased percentage of affordable housing in the transit-oriented development districts.

The city has this interesting mix of development opportunities ? so much of it is built out and very dense, and then you?ve got these huge swaths of land that are available to be shaped. They?re two very different scales of development thinking, and planning.

I personally enjoy the differences. It?s a great professional challenge to work with some really fine-grain neighborhoods and think about how to meet those communities? needs, and at the same time, have other larger areas where we can be a bit more visionary and more dramatic in our approach to change there. It?s a great mix.

Conceptually, how do you go about integrating large-scale new development into the city fabric?
It?s about coming up with a shared idea of what the city wants to be at the end and how we implement that in a sensitive way. What do we really cherish about our existing, built environment? And what are those things we?d be willing to change, or want to change, and how do those two, the older community and the newer community, come back and interface with each other? You don?t want to create two totally isolated communities. The zoning, by looking at the patterns of heights and spacing, we?re not mimicking the historic structure, but respecting the historic pattern, and bringing that forward, but allowing it to be a little different and a little expanded.

Where is Assembly Square right now?
They are still really active. Right now, they are working with the commonwealth and us on an application for I-Cubed [the Mass. Infrastructure Investment Incentive Program] financing. We?re also trying to see if there?s an opportunity for stimulus money. And once the application processes have gone all the way through, construction of Assembly Square Drive is going to be starting. We?re looking at sometime in this construction year, whether it?s in the summer or early fall. Everybody is looking forward to getting that under way. And when Assembly Square Drive starts, that will allow the IKEA foundation to come in. There?s a series of offsite mitigation they need to do with this phase, as well. And we do expect the other special permits to start relatively soon.

Is it difficult for you to be planning around the Green Line extension, when the whole thing is depending on the relocation of Lechmere Station to a stalled, feuding project in another city?
I know the state is committed to the Green Line, and the governor is committed to the Green Line. EOT [The Executive Office of Transportation] is actively working on it. Other than that, we try to help as we can. It?s not a simple task before them. Everybody wants Lechmere Station to go forward.

Lamboy?s Five Favorite Somerville Destinations:

1.) Somerville Community Path which brings pedestrians, cyclists and runners into Davis Square and will eventually be extended along the Green Line, thereby linking the Minuteman Trail to Boston.

2.) Union Square Plaza which is the home of the Fluff Festival and the weekly Farmers Market Saturday?s from June to October. Nearby is the Prospect Hill

3.) Mystic River Waterfront which is beautiful today and will only be enhanced by the increased parkland and paths to be built at Assembly Square.

4.) Broadway in East Somerville with its interesting mix of local businesses and ethnic restaurants.

5.) Winterhill, and Magoun, Ball and Teele Squares with their unique neighborhood charm and diversity of local businesses.

Connect the dots:
The various interested developers
Jim Kostaras
Utile, Inc.

The housing market going bust put a dent in some peoples' plans to get rich and make quite a career for themselves. When that became apparent, everyone started jumping ship.

Theyve been redoing some roads to better work for pedestrians and bikes, its nice to see.

Union Square will continue to be ugly and barely-streetcar suburbanish until they start replacing the buildings too.

proposed.jpg

Thats a whole lotta sidewalk.

Having a Green Line stop will start economic pressure for higher and better development there.

Maybe it will increase pressure, but I doubt anything will actually be built. The improvement of the built environment around Davis has been glacial at best, and the Red Line has been there for over 20 years now.

Yes. It's way under its density capacity for a node on a heavy rail subway line. Look at how much development surrounds Harvard, Central, and Kendall by comparison. (In a city like Toronto, these stops would be surrounded by high rises as well.)

The Boston area can improve access to transit in two ways: building more transit out or building up around existing nodes. Guess which is cheaper, and should be easier?

Looks fantastic.

I'd like to extend my personal thanks to mayor bloomburg for making projects like this a political reality around the country.

No more can people use the excuse "what works in europe wont work here".

Mayor Bloomberg? Harvard Square did this decades ago.

proposed.jpg

Thats a whole lotta sidewalk.

Actually, from the looks of this rendering it's going to take away sidewalk and parking in order to restore the direct connection of Washington Street through the square (which has been disconnected and disjointed for years). Encouraging...

I live in Davis and think it's pretty much fine as it is. The parking lots along Grove Street could use some development, but beyond that I consider Davis to be essentially complete and built-out. Union Square needs a lot more development.

Back