South Bay Center Expansion | Dorchester

Reminds me of Assembly. And I count that as a good thing.

My thought exactly. Plop in some density next to big box stores and just wait until you can develop the whole site like that, "Assembly-ing," if you will.

Little bit of a stretch to call this development "South Bay" when it leaves the actual South Bay Center untouched. This is more like backfilling the ragged end of Boston St. Beneficial troubleshoot opportunity, but they're fluffing their cred a little bit to make this look like a bigger Destination™ than it actually is.

Now...show something that redevs the NStar yard and you've got something quite a bit juicier that fills in the empty wedge to Columbia Rd. and ties this neighborhoodlet into Uphams Corner. Note how the north/E. Cottage St. end of the Uphams Corner Fairmount Line station has platform emergency stairs and over-wide hillside begging for another egress to be added on to that block...one single block away from the NStar wasteland and +1 more blocks on a future NStar-bisecting street away from front door of this development.

There's a conspicuous missing link here before the room gets tied together all cohesive-like. This development doesn't start to look Destination™ until the NStar wedge has a plan.

Why do the employees have a surface parking lot?

The top floor of garages are always empty because nobody likes going up a billion ramps. Send the employees up there

Looks nice but bicycle facilities simply MUST be added to any project that is doing streetscape improvements/building a new street. One of the above images appears to have a cyclist in the driving lane. In this day and age it is ridiculous and backward to have that be your design. Perhaps I'm missing some key information here but what I see is a new development that includes a parking garage, a surface parking lot, on-street parking (metered?), 11' driving lanes, and ZERO bicycle facilities. This must change. It doesn't matter if no one bikes here presently: if no developer builds the cycle tracks and bike lanes that he/she should, no one will EVER go biking there. Otherwise this looks okay.

Reminds me of Santana Row in San Jose, CA. (Which was finished in 2004 and has expanded since.) Very similar to the model that was used for Assembly Square. Lots of major chain stores in an outdoor mall with residential.

I agree with the poster above that this needs some proper bike infrastructure. Build it and they will come. :)

http://www.santanarow.com/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santana_Row

Just looking back at some of those site plans. I know this is not a timely comment, but that proposed hotel would really be better placed where they show an employee parking lot. Rather than behind the loading zone for the big box retailers. Would be good to swap the locations.

Better to put a surface lot over near the loading docks rather than in the heart of the "South Bay Town Center".

APPROVED

A Boston Street bypass road (to keep South Bay Center traffic off Boston Street) is being implemented as a result of community meetings/concerns about traffic on Boston Street. The community as a whole was very appreciative of this. It's an excellent example of how working with the community by listening to them helps garner support while improving the project as a whole.

I still hold out in the back of my head the (never gonna happen, ever) pipe dream that one day the fort point channel will be partially restored down to this area. I can dream.

Does anyone have any details on the housing? I am hoping that that isn't super luxe. I am all about high-end towers, but I feel we need to build housing that is more affordable as well.

Does anyone have any details on the housing? I am hoping that that isn't super luxe. I am all about high-end towers, but I feel we need to build housing that is more affordable as well.

475 total rental units. 62 IDP units. Studios-2brs. Market rate rents $2000-$3000, per the developer, so... more super luxe. That was pretty much the only thing I agreed with the NIMBYs on.

I'm actually more excited than this development than many others for one reason: hoping it kicks off a transformation of the whole newmarket area. I know we've discussed in other threads the idea of swapping out the light industrial in this area for denser mixed use development, and maybe it won't happen overnight, but to me this is the spot closest to downtown (open seaport parking lots excepted) that has potential to make a dent in the housing supply. When viewed from google maps, this area appears almost desolate, and if the entire Newmarket area were rezoned, there would be a ton of space for development. Could become especially crucial if Fairmount ever got xMUs.

I'm actually more excited than this development than many others for one reason: hoping it kicks off a transformation of the whole newmarket area. I know we've discussed in other threads the idea of swapping out the light industrial in this area for denser mixed use development, and maybe it won't happen overnight, but to me this is the spot closest to downtown (open seaport parking lots excepted) that has potential to make a dent in the housing supply. When viewed from google maps, this area appears almost desolate, and if the entire Newmarket area were rezoned, there would be a ton of space for development. Could become especially crucial if Fairmount ever got xMUs.

Cities also need distribution centers for the products the city needs to survive off of. Newmarket has to exist somewhere.

I dont know how super lux units are going to sell that well over there. Seems like a terrible spot and I know apartments/houses in the polish triangle and savin hill are going for high numbers but this seems less insulated than those. I'm over in south bay a bunch but its not exactly nice over there. Public transportation isnt great in the area.... I wouldnt want to live there for 3k a month I know that much

Cities also need distribution centers for the products the city needs to survive off of. Newmarket has to exist somewhere.

JeffDowntown -- Yes -- but not necessarily so close to the core of the city -- we do have trucks that can carry things to the end user

Back