South Boston Infill and Small Developments

I don't think it looks dated at all. It's taking some modernist queues, but overall it looks pretty contemporary to me.

The units on the inside corners of the building 22-26 Broadway are going to be awesomely awful to get any privacy in. Jesus christ, who would ever want to have windows facing directly at someone elses window in another unit?

I do not think there are ever windows facing another unit. That would be a huge design blunder. Utile are no slouches and would not make that mistake.

By the way. I have exactly 11 feet between my house and the next door neighbors identical triple decker, which means our windows line up. We wave to each other often and we have shades when we do not want to watch each other eat dinner. It is city life and the folks who buy into it tend to dig that closeness. I do.

cca

So last summer the Mayor said he wanted more time for discussion about this project, then he suddenly was for it just a couple weeks ago but now he says he wants more input from neighbors.

I agree with commenters: The Zoning Board (and mayor) hope by delaying the meeting they'll wear down the opposition.

Zoning Board delay of condo plan irks Southie residents
By Marie Szaniszio, Boston Herald

Dozens of angry South Boston residents left a hearing yesterday shouting, “Dirty politics!” after the Zoning Board of Appeal granted a postponement to the architect of a $7.35 million plan to convert the former Gate of Heaven School into condominiums.

“They know there’s strong opposition, and they’re hoping if they defer it, we’ll go away,” Jennifer Thurston, a lifelong Southie resident, said after Niles O. Sutphin was granted a deferral until June 23.

Sutphin sought the delay on behalf of developer 
Michael Moore of Oranmore Enterprises LLC, who 
received preliminary 
approval from the Boston Redevelopment Authority in March to convert the former Catholic school on East Fourth Street into 26 condos.

Thurston and other residents said they would prefer to see the Boston Archdiocese sell the property to another school. Neither the archdiocese nor Moore 
returned calls or emails.

“It’s important that there is a process in place with a series of checks and balances to ensure transparency, and that a project is thoroughly vetted before it is finalized,” Mayor Martin J. Walsh said in a statement. “The request by the applicant to defer the Gate of Heaven project will allow for more discussion about the project and its impact on South Boston.”

So, simply put, the neighbors want a school, not housing.

Ha. I wrote that!

(PS. Only Boston magazine online; not in the print edition.)

Are these developments mostly priced for the middle class or like anyplace else, depends on location, location, location!

You would have to define "middle class" in the city of Boston. These are more affordable than the Back Bay, Seaport or South End, but definitely out of reach of most.

Yes, "it depends".

The typical new-construction condo in South Boston might for $500,000 - $600,000, about $500-$600 per square foot. That's less than resales in South End and Back Bay, which go $750-$900 per square foot now, and new construction $1,200 - $2,000 (!).

A 4.25% mortgage loan on that $550,000 purchase with 20% down ($110,000) and good credit might run you $2,100 per month, so you'd have to figure out whether your middle-class income would qualify you for that. If you're a two-income household making $100,000, you could do it, I would think. (Taxes and condo fees add to the calculation, too.)

Not exactly small.

90 units on Dot Ave south of the Broadway Red Line station.

dotave1-4485.jpg

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...outh-boston/WRBpeJ11JbwoeNZShfMaYN/story.html

WOW...a whopping 123 spaces in an underground garage for 91 residential units for a 1.35 parking ratio less than a 6 minute walk from a T stop and literally on a site with a Zipcar space (presumably Zipcar will rent out spaces in the new building or otherwise there will be 'car sharing' spaces already reserved for someone to bid on). BTD and the BRA had better figure out a holistic parking solution soon...

I'm willing to bet this is to subdue any NIMBYs from freaking out over the loss of street parking. TOD works well on paper but the fact is people drive and in a neighborhood that isn't saturated with mass transit like South Boston people need parking.

Back