South Boston Infill and Small Developments

Do I see a mini balcony pool / hot tub in that rendering?

That will not happen ... at least not in that physical form. The liabilities surrounding such a thing will required serious redesign. I hope I am wrong though but I would be willing to bet on it.

cca

Utile does some very nice and solid work. I really dig their approach. (tips hat) (in reference to 22-26 W Broadway)

cca

Loco was very busy last Sunday afternoon. Average ages: 25-39 (eh), white, looked to be young professionals, smattering of "locals" (appearances), a bit of a hipster feel.

As mentioned earlier, Cornerstone (next to 22-26 Broadway) scheduled to close after the St Patrick's Day parade to be turned into residences. I believe the building on the other side (30 W Broadway?) ended up finding a buyer and has a new owner. It's SROs with restaurant at street level. No idea if a conversion is planned. No idea why 22-26 W Broadway didn't make a deal to buy it before construction.

Does anyone know what is going on at the corner of of P street and East 2nd street? there is a massive hole in the ground and a bunch of rigs next to the Mcourt building. More condo's??

I just answered my own question... seriously disappointed about this design, the colors and materials are ridiculous and make it look like its from the late 70's early 80's.
yYW5Okb.jpg

x92r067.jpg

p5fkcYT.jpg

what's up with stupid towers in all these bland new developments? always square, with dumb little caps or cornices...

what's up with stupid towers in all these bland new developments? always square, with dumb little caps or cornices...

I think its a cheap way to make a bland 70's strip apartment building look a little bit different.

This is too big to be considered "small project" or infill but until it gets going ...

Five acres in South Boston industrial area slated for mixed-use development
By Mary Moore, Boston Business Journal

A Boston-based developer has proposed creating six streets of housing, retail and park area on five acres of former light industrial space in South Boston’s Andrew Square neighborhood.

The plan, unveiled Tuesday night at a community meeting at the Iron Workers Union building in South Boston, calls for eight buildings – the tallest rising 17 stories high – that would envelope an area at the intersection of Dorchester Street and Old Colony Avenue.
The area previously had housed Winthrop Printing, a transmission shop and other industrial uses.

There would be 700 units of housing, a mixture of apartments and condos, with an emphasis on affordability for the middle class, according to the developer, David Pogorelc of Core Investments. The plan also calls for 76,000 square feet of retail and parking for 580 cars, both on surface lots and in garages ...

More like Ink Block XXL. This Andrew Square proposal calls for nearly twice as many units as Ink Block, and roughly as much retail.

That's great. Curious to see what the neighborhood groups come up with in terms of opposition against this one. It's a huge project, but looks like a win-win all around.

Here's hoping that this project receives an urban design with street level activation. Surface lots are concerning.

That's great. Curious to see what the neighborhood groups come up with in terms of opposition against this one. It's a huge project, but looks like a win-win all around.

Here's hoping that this project receives an urban design with street level activation. Surface lots are concerning.

Yea this is awesome. Will be absolutely awesome for the whole neighborhood, which slowly seems to be improving.

Last edited:

Back