South Boston Infill and Small Developments

Irrespective of the aesthetics of this particular one:

Ground-floor garages are despair. Yes...eat the person-to-person interface with the street everywhere so man can move from enclosed pod to enclosed pod in isolation. Truly that is our urban fabric, no?
:cry:
There are no service alleys around here for garage access, and garage parking is a golden ticket for people able to spend $750k+ on a tiny condo. I think Southie is overcrowded, overpriced, and over-hyped, but as a bourgeois bedroom-community-within-a-city, garages should be expected.

520 Dorchester Ave by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_6093 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_6094 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_6095 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

362-64 W Broadway by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_6136 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

Demo in progress. Looks like they are going to save the old store front.
216-18 W Broadway by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_6130 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

321-25 W Broadway by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_6132 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

148 Athens by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_6123 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_6125 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

158 Athens by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_6119 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_6120 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
Beeline -- as usual -- absolutely a great log of the myriad of small changes in the neighborhood -- by spinning through these -- it's like Binge Watching some Fixer-upper program on the Home and Garden Channel

Boston's Moakley Park to Be Model of Climate Resilience

“Improvements to Moakley Park—one of Boston’s largest waterfront parks—are a major part of the city’s resilience strategy to protect vulnerable residential neighborhoods from rising sea levels and storm-surge-related flooding due to climate change.”

“This is one of the first projects… that is really taking both resilience and social equity together as kind of critical partner in the development of the park,” says Amy Whitesides, project manager for Stoss Landscape Urbanism “Boston is really prioritizing resiliency in advance of any major storms.”

Link
Moakley-image-1.jpeg

Beeline -- a great compendium of small projects in Southie

not necessarily in any cases a great project -- but as a whole more than adequate

There's so much unresolved tension in this photo because of the gap between the McGoo's and T-Mobile buildings.
Probably a legacy of more than one fire, and the real estate market was such back then that they rebuilt small.

^^^McGoo's from the rear

^^^ McGoo's from the side. McGoo's is quite a handsome building, and someone went to some length to preserve the corner-facing facades.

There's so much unresolved tension in this photo because of the gap between the McGoo's and T-Mobile buildings.
I'm glad that bothered you as well, it just straight up irks me. I'd love to see this gap filled in with something resembling the McGoo building, specifically that dentil cornice.

Probably a legacy of more than one fire, and the real estate market was such back then that they rebuilt small.

^^^McGoo's from the rear

^^^ McGoo's from the side. McGoo's is quite a handsome building, and someone went to some length to preserve the corner-facing facades.
You know, I grew up in Southie, we got pizza at McGoo's every so often, my mother has even painted it...twice, and I've never noticed the narrow end of it along Dorchester St., nor the ghosts of buildings past on the other side of it. Such a nice building for that corner.

Back