South End Infill and Small Developments

Now I know where yell after drinking too much at Aquitaine.

Anyway, the building looks like the progeny of the Columbia Pictures building and the Park Square Building.

Went by the Grassi house during my South End walk.

9769300745_e1cfbcb86c_b.jpg

9769379263_147afeb0f2_b.jpg

9769080721_6c941250e8_b.jpg

9769300794_e389dc7c50_b.jpg

9769291834_215689b3f3_b.jpg

9769365513_a944dc21d4_b.jpg

9769085252_1b9243985c_b.jpg

That's the alexandra hotel that was bought buy the scientologists and then got held up for years. I'm pretty sure they either just sold it or entered into a p&s with a developer with plans to renovate it into condos.

I wish they would take those plans out of the closet.

Hutchison, that's news to me! I believe their plans are moving forward now that they've sold (or gone to P&S on) their Back Bay building. I think Dean Stratouly bought their Beacon Street property. Getting that sold was what held up the renovation of the Alexandra.

Hotel Alexandra thread in the existing forum here: http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?t=1926

The project is still getting all it's approvals. This is from the Aug 6th South End Landmarks agenda. The result of the hearing was something to the effect of needing more info

6:45
1759-1769 Washington Street
Todd Dundon, Architect; Graham Parker, Owner: Further review of conceptual design development for the restoration of the Hotel Alexandra and new construction on the site of the former Ivory Bean House.

http://www.cityofboston.gov/images_documents/SELDC_August_6_2013_Agenda_tcm3-39800.pdf

The giant cross and the red banners make it look like an evil building from a science fiction movie.

Which I guess makes sense...

some new projects:

Church of the Immaculate Conception and Rectory on Harrison Ave - 60 units

9 East Springfield St - new 6 story building, 9 units

St Helena's Parking lot Harrison & Malden - 80 units in a new building

wow!
I did not know this was possible anymore. Please give every empty lot in the metro area to this developer. Best modern art deco inspired building I have ever seen. This works so well.

Looking at the Alexandria renderings, it looks like the masonry is being painted - utter sacrilege!
Get a load of the quack devices in the Auditing room desk; pure science fiction - Proposition Joe may be onto something.
Given what's going into it, I think that, maybe, this is one time when it might be better for a building to remain abandoned and deteriorating than to be restored.

Looking at the Alexandria renderings, it looks like the masonry is being painted - utter sacrilege!
Get a load of the quack devices in the Auditing room desk; pure science fiction - Proposition Joe may be onto something.
Given what's going into it, I think that, maybe, this is one time when it might be better for a building to remain abandoned and deteriorating than to be restored.

first time in my life I hope nimbys stop a development. We shouldn't let a cult have such a beautiful building and use it as a recruitment center. I love that building id rather see it empty and boarded up for 20 years than be a scientology building.

first time in my life I hope nimbys stop a development. We shouldn't let a cult have such a beautiful building and use it as a recruitment center. I love that building id rather see it empty and boarded up for 20 years than be a scientology building.

Right. Because I grew up being told that people at Mass were drinking Jesus' blood and and eating His flesh. And, oh, it turns out the guys telling me that were diddling my schoolmates. But that's more logical than whatever random shit Scientologists believes in.

Right. Because I grew up being told that people at Mass were drinking Jesus' blood and and eating His flesh. And, oh, it turns out the guys telling me that were diddling my schoolmates. But that's more logical than whatever random shit Scientologists believes in.

I'm an agnostic-atheist and was raised without religion.

Back